Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hand through window. Disaster or near miss?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Tripped up stairs, put hand through window. Some pharmacy sutures fixed the gashes but I feel incredibly lucky, as one cut is right on my middle knuckle, which I have cut to the bone before, now hurts in cold.

A long time ago I did similar to wire mesh safety glass. That didn’t end well. Don’t do that.

Anyone else have dangerous habits?

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve done the same. My wife locked us out, and I got a bit too enthusiastic breaking the glass on our front door in order to undo the Yale lock: the brick went through with my hand still holding it, right up my forearm. Ouch.

andyl
    Free Member

kid in high school put his hand through one of the windows in the chemistry lab. He lost a good chunk of the use of his hand slicing tendons etc, blood was everywhere. You were lucky.

matt_outandabout

I pushed out old caravan around as a teenager – and shoved hand through window, I have the scar where it cut either side of my watch strap…. But not the tendons and veins….

I also watched a friend get to the end of the router jig cutting a worktop. He lifted the router, rotated it to lie it down and the bit grabbed his tee, pulling him into the still rotating end 😯
    I watched a small blood patch spread on his tee….
    It had *just* nicked his belly button area, not hari-kari time…

Bregante

Just last week I was washing the dishes and caught the rim of a glass with my wedding ring. I was completely unaware that half of the rim had literally just come away from the glass. As I wiped around the inside of the glass a 1.5″ length of the rim went all the way under the surface of the skin in my hand at the base of my middle finger.

It hurt like a **** and I instinctively dug my fingers in and yanked it out. I’ve got nerve damage in my hand now and a constant tingling in the finger which I am told is generally a good sign that the nerves aren’t totally severed.

Cougar

When I was a kid, a neighbour had twin girls. Chasing through the house, one ran through a door and slammed it behind her, sister chasing stepped straight through the glass and tore her calf to shreds.

I wish there was a cheery end to this story, same kid went on to contract leukaemia and didn’t survive long. At the time we believed it was as a result of the accident though in hindsight I don’t see how that’s possible (unless it was something else and I’m misremembering.

Anyway, point is that glass doors and kids aren’t a great combination. Be careful out there.

redthunder
    Free Member

I was about seven. Thought I could handstand on the back of a armchair.

I could, them it toppled backwards and I went through a glass door 🙁

Masses of stitches in the lower leg just under the kneecap. When I was being patched up in hospital the blood was dripping of the trolley 🙂

bearnecessities

As a child (guessing 5 years old), somehow I came into possession of a piece of round glass from a portcullis style window (No idea how, think it must have been a neighbours).

“Ooh, round thing. That’ll roll well”

I proceeded to run alongside it, rolling it down the garden with my hand.

“Weeeeeeeeeee!”

“Muuuuuuuum??”

Absolutely lacerated palm and fingers. Still not sure why for the 20 seconds or so I must have been pushing the damnned thing, never registered any pain.

CountZero

Just read Bregante’s post, and I’m feeling really very queasy now, not helped by the large plate of chicken pie and chips I’ve just finished… 😳

eruptron
    Free Member

Look you ALL know the rules!!! This is utter BS without pictures

peabrain
    Free Member

My son recently put his hand right through the glass in a door. So lucky to only cut the back of his arm above his elbow – needed 5 stitches. Does bear to think how bad it would have been if he had cut the inside of his elbow…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i put my hand through a panty window at a college house party…i was knocking out the duh, duh, d,d,smash,….tune

still got the scar to prove it.

aP
    Free Member

panty window

Tell me more….

Bregante

Look you ALL know the rules!!! This is utter BS without pictures

Okey dokey squire

Sorry it doesn’t look more dramatic but this was entirely under my skin and it bloody hurt.

Just read Bregante’s post, and I’m feeling really very queasy now,

This probably hasnt helped 😀

bearnecessities

You win 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

My brother put his hand through a glass door when we were kids. About 6 weeks later and god knows how many rounds of surgery later he was out of hospital. He cut tendons, arteries and everything else in that area. After hospital he had to have months of rehab and strings glued onto his nails back to an arm brace to stretch his fingers back out. He still has a a clawed hand 20 years later. My lasting memory is watching his blood squirt the width of our living room and watching the inside of his arm pulsing with his heart beat.

Bregante

I’ve got a mate (he’s actually my brothers brother in law but I’ve known him since we were at school) who in his first few weeks of an apprenticeship about 30 yrs ago was helping another apprentice to chuck concrete into a crusher which consisted of two massive rotating steel drums. The other lads Jacket was caught in the drums and he was pulled into the machine.

My mate Mike hit the red button but the lad had by then been dragged upwards and off the floor. His arm was crushed in the drums but Mike put his head between the lads legs and supported him while screaming for help. The poor guy lost his arm but Mike undoubtedly saved his life.

project
    Free Member

Neighbour when we where kids, fell down the stairs straight through the glass vision panel,at side of door cut her open, postie found her next day, with a huge trail of blood down the slope of her path, quite obviously dead.

and when i was in college a lad ran full tilt through a pattern 10 glazed door, while a bit high on drugs, lads who saw it said he was a mess.

Pattern 10 door a full piece of glass surrounded by a door frame.

Then when doing my apprenticeship a chap cutting a railway sleeper illegally and untrained , saw jammed so he pulled sleeper back and rammed it into saw, hand slipped and he took off thumb and 2 fingers, which fell into sawdust pit below saw, my mate then got the task of looking for a thumb and 2 fingers in a pit of sawdust.

Another one involved a staff member who shut the door of the office safe to quick and jammed her hand between door and safe body, that hurt her,

A fellow tradesman just sharpened a 1.5 inch paring chisel, put it flat on bench, and it slipped off hit his foot and nearly severed part of his toe.

finally some idiot doing a teaching practice how to sharpen tools properley, finished the training and said to the trainees, now to clean the bench of wood shavings etc, as he swept the shavings away with his hand, he cut through all his fingers on one hand, somebody had left a chisel under the shavings.(that was me that idiot, and i passed.)

bearnecessities

Any more nightmare scenarios you want to impart Russ?!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, an injury thread 😆

I’ve a large scar on my under arm near my wrist that runs for 30mm or so up my arm.

How you say?

Well, sailing.
    Out on the RORC North Sea Race back in 2000 and something (6 IIRC) and we’re on a Ker55 hacking along at about 25knts surfing some sandbars, then the kite blows out, gets entangled in the jib halyard, forestay, pole and the sheet is still taught as a bolt.. I was on the sheet at the time it blew and damn near pulled me out the cockpit. My mate grabbed the sheet, I grabbed the knife to cut the sheet but the thing was so taught I couldn’t cut through the 12mm spectra rope.. I tried to saw it, nothing doing so put the knife under the sheet and pulled upwards.. it cut though about half then slipped and I sliced a huge chunk out of my lower arm/wrist.
    Dis bloody zaster and a stupid grade one idiotic thing to do…

Never try to cut upwards on a rope with the blade facing you, always cut away from you boyz n girlz..

🙄

Bregante

bearnecessities – Member
    Any more nightmare scenarios you want to impart Russ?!

I wrapped a lad in newspaper once to stop him bleeding to death after he was stabbed 18 times in a petrol station robbery?

I can get a pic to prove that too if you want? (of the stickyfoot)

kayak23

As a kid on holiday in Anglesey, the kids next door called me out to play.
    I pegged it through the house downstairs and ran out the patio doors. The closed, glass patio doors.
    This must have been before toughened glass was law as the glass smashed from my head, leaving a big triangle of glass in the bottom of the door which I was bent over, hands on the glassy grass outside with the point of the remaining glass sticking into my stomach.

My stepmum came along and lifted me off.
    Not pleasant.
    😕

bearnecessities

Actually, my job of designing processes for doing ‘stuff’ that doesn’t involve chippie-wrapping a stabbed body, probably isn’t the worst job in the world.

I’m ok for pics thanks 🙂

(Hope the knee is coming along slowly)

project
    Free Member

24 hours in a and e this week a lad using a angle grinder, cut into leg, 20 cms long and 10 cms deep opened up like a bum, all dr could say was thats going to hurt.

bearnecessities

opened up like a bum

Most insightful analogy of the day 🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

Is it only me who thought Bregante put his piece of glass on a pasty woman’s belly in that pic? No? OK.

johndoh
    Free Member

I was once working on my car and cut my hand wide open. Went to wash it clean and fainted, going straight through a pane of glass in my mum and dad’s back door. My mum found me, unconscious, head out of the door, body still inside, neck resting on all the remaining glass in the frame. Amazingly I managed not to sustain any injuries.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hand through window. Disaster or near miss?’ is closed to new replies.