Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Hand Guards
  • jes
    Free Member

So its that time of year……….

Missed riding for a couple of weeks, but ventured out yesterday evening to find once broad avenues are now barely passable in places.

Some of theses narrowed routes may also be bordered by brambles and gorse bushes, and stinging nettles (but I kind of like getting stung)

What I dont like is a gorse thorn embeded in a knuckle which can happen even with gloves on.

The AVS Hand Guards havd been around fof while

avs hand guard review

I mainly ride on my own but occasionally see other people on my travels with the bike, would the potential mocking of riding with hand guards be less painful than a thorny embedded knuckle?

nedrapier

I’d use them. don’t like gloves. But I’d happily take thorns in the knuckles over the trailing brambles that ride up your forearm and rip the inside of your elbow to shreds.

jes
    Free Member

Good point regarding trailing brambles, not sure the guards would help with those.

towzer

See also
    Denniswinter.com

Product is breezeblockers The storm are only 8
    They do several types

Sorry on Gfs iPad and I’m crap at links etc etc on it

jes
    Free Member

Good price but not quite as well executed as the AVS

zippykona

They would have been a godsend last night.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Do they come with little mirrors in the inside?

MarkyG82

When we all had bar ends back in the day I never heard anyone complaining……..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ride somewhere else?

Get a billhook and clear it?….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They always remind me of BMX riders in face masks….

jes
    Free Member

Zippykona that is what I am talking about, bet that trail was a 1.5 m wide 4 weeks ago.

Joshvegas, not that I am aware of but great idea, I did see an advert the week for a wrist band for commuters that had a section with a mirror that flipped up to enable thd rider to see behind them.

MarkyG, a bit of googling does indicate there is a MX version with a bar end type support for the guard.

Nobeer I doubt if napalm would clear some of the recent growth 🙂

Flashheart, great photo loved 80’s bmx fashion, race plates and stickers, I had a pair of the Haro race pants, 28 inch waist, the last time I remember my waist size being less than my leg measurement. Happy days.

Well I am quite surprised no outright haters.

sirromj

They look a bit rubbish. I think a better idea is to mount little battery powered strimmers to the pedals, front forks, and handel bars.

jes
    Free Member

Ha ha nice

superstu
    Free Member

They look a bit rubbish. I think a better idea is to mount little battery powered strimmers to the pedals, front forks, and handel bars.

Ha ha ha!! Very good.

I’m not a fan. Have the odd brush (pun intended) with undergrowth but not sure I’d want guards.

nickhit3
    Free Member

I raised this question a couple of weeks ago looking for ‘gorse proof’ gloves, and if anyone knew of any with decent knuckle protection. Similar **** responses that dissolved into a piss take. The AVS handguards came close for me as i happen to think they look alright however I slept on it and decided it would have been a mistake in the end. And a pricey mistake. Still looking for decent gloves..

zippykona

I am sure I could make something using a bar end and a 4 pint plastic milk bottle.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

They look tiny for intended purpose.

AVS Racing hand guards channel the colourway running throughout his whole bike.

(hands over cash)

northerntom
    Free Member

I had the same last night. Heavy rain followed by 25 degree plus weather has meant local trails are basically just undergrowth.

Have considered these, and a lot of guys who ride gloveless are starting to us them, I also ride gloveless, but it’ll be a while before I invest if I do at all.

May just avoid trails like this when they will be overgrown.

vincienup
    Free Member

I see the point for hand protection, I’ve had some painful contacts in densely treed narrow stuff but for undergrowth like this, surely you’d be getting your legs torn to ribbons too?

Last time I saw these suggested there was much mockery and suggestions of cards in back wheels etc…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

you can get them from here, you just stick them to your gloves or in your knickers and problem solved

slowster
    Free Member

The ‘Finger Fenders’ fitted by Geoff Apps to his Cleeland Landseer look like what you are after. I suspect they may be a one off made to his order.

scotroutes

Aren’t Geoffs guards mounted at the wrong end of the grip. I envisage all sorts of undergrowth getting trapped by that arrangement, twisting the steering and causing falls.

zippykona

I agree.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How many posts and not a single MTFU?

STW, I don’t know you anymore.

zippykona

I think Mr large may have taken issue with the aforementioned items.

vincienup
    Free Member

There was a link to incontinence pads…

Edit- ah, same post…

towzer

these are images of the various breezeblockers – based on my motorbike trail riding experience these seem a sensible (but lot less metal/plastic/rufty/tufty etc etc) design than the ones that worked well on my trail bike

eshershore
    Free Member

these are excellent (actually classed as Type II protective equipment) in heavy vegetation, I use them for trail building and riding

widely used by military and great for riding in heavily overgrown trails

easily bought from any bike shop in the UK that has Madison account (i.e. all of them..)

chakaping
    Free Member

Sam Hill uses them (although he’s no doubt paid to).

Maybe there’s a lot of prickly stuff out in Australia.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m surprised nobody has given new life to the bar end to mount the guard on.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Are these integrated with a locking grip? I can see the appeal, but bar space is pretty crowded at the moment (albeit on the right side only, these days), plus I’m not a fan of anything that might impede my access to shifters or a dropper lever/button.

Surely a better design would be to integrate with a bar end plug?

*bugger* Once again, Slowster has beaten me to it!

sirromj

Just need someone to make this in an Enduro colourway:

kayak23

pogies 😀

Or…

towzer

it’s an old problem with an olde solutione

oldracer
    Free Member

poah
    Free Member

You can get them in a pack with

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Surely easier to just wear gloves?

cookeaa

That is a forced “only because they sponsored me” smile if ever I saw one…

jes
    Free Member

Well been away for a couple days with no wi-fi and my my that got more STW quickly 🙂

Thanks for all the input its greatly appreciated.

It probably an area thing with the gorse bushes, seem to be in sandy or sandstone area’s near me.

I think the AVS seems to be the most balanced design but are so pricey……. I think I would also like the guard slightly bigger and the the attachment to the bar needs to be like a brake lever with a double bolt clamp for removal/attachment without removing the grips.

Thanks again especially the sensible stuff 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Perhaps hope could machine something up…
    Something like this…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Hand Guards’ is closed to new replies.