Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hamsterly – trail conditions?
  • Andy_Baz

I’m thinking of taking a first time trip to Hamsterly tomorrow. With all the recent rain does anybody have any idea (first hand or past experience) of what the trails will be like? I’m not expecting dry and dusty but if its likely to be a complete bogfest I might give it a miss.
    Cheers

mickeyb0305
    Free Member

Only the local knowledge natural stuff that will be tricky, red or black routes will be fine just a bit of water n mud here n there adding to the fun!

Would be up there tonight but working, might be free tomorrow though if you need a riding partner?

Mike

philpott
    Free Member

I was up before Christmas, the red route can be quite a slog(a lot of forestry roads) if you do it all, I’d look at the map and try and concentrate on a few of the man-made sections such as section 13 and the newer Transmission and Accelerator sections. That would be just my preference mind. I went down before Xmas and even tho it had been snowing, grip was still very good and had a ball of time. I made the vid below

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3leaKV1VhGc[/video]

P20

We were there on monday. The black is a bit boggy, but ok. The red is in good nick

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Its pretty boggy in sections on the black route, so we normally just loop Transmission and go on to do Accelerator and Section 13. Most of the black after Section 13 isnt too bad, so its a ncie finish.

seanodav
    Free Member

so we normally just loop Transmission and go on to do Accelerator and Section 13. Most of the black after Section 13 isnt too bad, so its a ncie finish.

We do exactly that, the rest is pretty dull!

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

just got back….its good…abit muddy maybe but good

martinhutch

Did the red about a week ago – unpleasantly quaggy in parts between the first climb and where it meets the road again, but rideable. One of the black descents at the end was a bit muddy, but again, rideable.

As others have said, I wouldn’t bother with the red again as a whole, but would just head up the fireroad to do the Transmission bits, then, head down and back up to section 13 and head down from there. The rest of the red is mostly fireroad and as dull as you’d expect that to be.

Andy_Baz

Thanks everyone, I think we’ll give it a go.

Mike – I’m heading up there with my son (age 19, I feel old…) but if you’re up for a ride and want to show us the good bits you’re very welcome to join us. We’re hoping to be up there mid-morningish. Drop me an email if you want to fix something.

Cheers

Andy

mickeyb0305
    Free Member

Hi andy, looks like I have a job at 1pm but got to check first thing to confirm.

If free ill drop you an email.

Mike

Andy_Baz

OK Mike, I’ll keep an eye out for an email. Maybe see you later.

Andy

neil853
    Free Member

I can tell you know, even though I don’t live in the NE anymore, it will be wet, it’s always wet everytime of the year.

Andy_Baz

Thanks again for all the advice (and the impressive video). Had a good afternoon riding the black route but didn’t manage to link up the Transmission and Accelerator sections. As some have said the Root 666 and Star Wars sections very wet and muddy but the rest was no problem and a good blast especially Section 13. Definitely be back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hamsterly – trail conditions?’ is closed to new replies.