Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ham fisted idiot inside
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Ahh! Got a cro mo steel bmx for my lad last weekend. Had a look today and the alloy post was in tight. Tried to ease it out and the top of the seatpost snapped flush with the seat tube.

Here’s where I am a knob. Got a hacksaw blade and started cutting (I wasn’t being ruthless) I’ve bloody nicked The seattube at the bottom of the seat clamp area. It was hard to see what was post and what was seat tube due to the oxidation. I’m annoyed as a) I should have checked it before I bought it (pleb) and b)I was stopping and shining a light to make sure I didn’t do this (Crap job I know)

Will the bike be ok to ride? It’s only a couple of mm that’s been done and with the seatpost hardly being used on a bmx there shouldn’t be much force?

I am annoyed at myself.

andyl
    Free Member

It’ll probably be fine. Steel is pretty forgiving but can you file the nick out with a round file.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hmmm, that is something I’ll look at once I get the bastard out.

scotroutes

A bastard will be too rough. Use a smoother file.

zero-cool
    Free Member

People don’t sit on BMXs as much as MTBs. I’ve ridden some pretty knackered/damaged/bent BMXs over the years and as said above steel is pretty forgiving compared to the soft cheese alloy that MTBs are made from.
    It’ll be fine.

callmetc
    Free Member

I rode years with my seat post only in the frame an inch.

Just above the circle at the bottom of the slit is where I would have it.

Took about 3 years of me sitting on it and pissing about pulling sit down wheelie’s until it snapped.

It still left enough meat on the frame for me to fit a seat clamp after.

I just saw it as essential weight saving.

Bmxs are bloody tough little things.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cool beans, after a night’s sleep I realise I may have been panicking a bit too much. Also Lol @scotroutes.

retro83
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    A bastard will be too rough. Use a smoother file.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ham fisted idiot inside’ is closed to new replies.