Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Halogen light help
  • JonR
    Free Member

Wonder if anyone might be of assistance.

Whilst having a dig through the mountain of bike bits I have in the room that my other half kindly allows me to dump things I managed to dig out an old set of halogen lights. Problem is the battery is dead.
    It’s a NiCad 6V waterbottle shaped thing but as I know toss all about these things and I can’t find any replacement online I was wondering if anyone would know what battery pack I could get replace it.

Here’s a photo. Ta.

wwaswas

Have a chat with smudge he’ll make you somethign up. although, tbh for the cost vs the quality of the lights a set of his dx lights for £60 odd quid woudl be a wise purchase.

P20

I’d be inclined to ditch them and buy a deal extreme/job. Will cost the same or less, be significantly brighter, weigh less and have better burn times

JonR
    Free Member

I was just hoping there would be something available I could pick up on the cheap and find some way of bodging it on to a bike. I was only really going to use it for pootles.

RustyMac

As wwaswas said smudge from the forum runs mtbbatteries and in the past has sold NiCad batteries, currently there doesn’t seem to be any on his site, more people are wanting Li-Ion batteries these days. He may be able to fix your old battery if he has stock of some NiCad stuff still.

Drop him an email and see what he can do sales@mtbbatteries.co.uk

Otherwise he is selling a light with the most up to date XML LED in it, this has a slightly different design to the DX one and has been well recieved by others on the forum and is £67 – link below

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html

If this is still mre than you want to spend have a look on the forum for the numerous what lights threds that have been started in the last 2 months and there is plenty of people linking to Deal Exreme (DX) lights.

JonR
    Free Member

Cheers mac, I’ll have a look through that. The battery itself isn’t dead as such, the switch on it has broken and I thought it probably best to leave it be. As it seems that a new one will cost the earth i think the bet thing for me to do would be try and crack it open to see if I can fix it and get the 67 quid ready for one of smudges deer stoppers just in case.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You can just make a pack up yourself out of NiMH rechargers and re-use the connectors, it’ll charge using the original changer. That is what I did when I was still using my old smarts for commuting.

IIRC the smarts have the switch in-line with the map unit cord, so was the battery switch just to switch the battery off? If so, you could just bypass the battery switch and remember to unplug them if left for any length of time.

JonR
    Free Member

You can just make a pack up yourself out of NiMH rechargers and re-use the connectors, it’ll charge using the original changer. That is what I did when I was still using my old smarts for commuting.

IIRC the smarts have the switch in-line with the map unit cord, so was the battery switch just to switch the battery off? If so, you could just bypass the battery switch and remember to unplug them if left for any length of time.

That is just the answer I need. Cheers mate, you’re a legend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Halogen light help’ is closed to new replies.