Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Halo SS hub fail…
  • Big-M
    Free Member

So my Halo SS hubs failed last night on the commute home.

It lost all drive, I suspect that the pawl engagement ring that’s pressed into the hub has ‘let go’ and is just spinning inside the hub, I’v not checked it yet, after pushing/freewheeling for 6 miles I couldn’t be bothered last night.

Anyone had this happen with a Halo hub before?
    If I’m going to replace it any suggestions for a robust SS disc braked hub?

GregMay
    Free Member

If I’m going to replace it any suggestions for a robust SS disc braked hub?

Surly hub with an ENO freewheel. Sorted.

amedias
    Free Member

Beaten to it but was going to say standard answer is screw on hub of your choice (Surly, DMR, WI, Phil etc) and a WI ENO freewheel.

For a cheaper option than the WI freewheel have a look at the Halo Clickster, it’s actually rather good, pickup is better than a standard WI (on par with the trials version), and comes in at about £45, not as serviceable as a WI though, but I’ve had a couple now and they’ve been reliable for thousands of miles with no issues at all.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve a clickster as well – us it for more general riding. They are great. But, serviceability of the WI ones means I use it over the winter.

hatter

Depends on how pimp you want to go.

Mate’s got one of these with the 10-mm RWS thru-axle conversion on his dirt jump bike, lovely bit of kit.

Of and it has a centre lock disc mount, it just just comes with a cover which is what you can see in the photo.

gardron
    Free Member

Seen this happen on a mates halo too – certain models the ratchet mechanism appears to be made of brie and is only about 1-2mm tall, so wears away in no time, leading to absolutely no drive.
    As others have said, hub of your choosing and a WI ENO or Halo clickster freewheel is the way to go really.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those 240 SS hubs up there as well ^

It is good, but depending how sensitive you are to pickup you might find it annoying without the ratchet upgrade!

Clobber
    Free Member

Happened to my Halo too, they seem very sensitive to chain tension

Big-M
    Free Member

I like the Clickster, used to run one on my SS CX. Decisions, decisions…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Halo SS hub fail…’ is closed to new replies.