Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Halfrauds carbon seatpost, any good for £15?
  • splitlip
    Free Member

I was in my local Halfrauds today & they had Bike Hut carbon seatposts in the clearance bin for £15, are they any good or a waste of £15? They also had oversize ally bars for £5. Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How bad can they be for £15? Maybe not suitable for a DH bike or a lot of abuse, but should be ok- a lot of the Bikehut stuff is ok kit

steve_b77
    Free Member

I saw them too, (in halfrauds, Northampton)

THey can’t be that bad

Kahurangi

IIRC Halfords carbons seatposts only have a carbon wrap and and ally core.

How bad could a broken carbon fibre seat post be? How graphic do you want an answer!?

nickc

More than likely it’s made in the same factory as a whole load of other branded ones. At £15 it’s got to be worth a punt if you’re in the market for a post

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you asked the question could you ever trust it?

Northwind

They’re made by Tioga… Should do the job just fine.

splitlip
    Free Member

Cheers for your thoughts fellas. Northwind, appreciate that, if they are Tioga then I’ll give one a go

barca
    Free Member

If these are the normally £40 inline double bolt clamp seatposts (I have two of these on my bikes) they are full carbon, not carbon wrap. I have one on an Orange 5 and one a Kona Kula hardtail and they are SUPERB! 410mm long, and don’t give me a minutes trouble. Absolute bargain if they’re now selling them at £15! I know Decathlon sell a single bolt layback carbon post for £22 which is carbon wrap but the inline Haflords are ace. The one on my Orange 5 is over three years old and that bike is ridden in the Peak District at least once a week. If they did them in various diameters rather than just 27.2mm, I’d have them on all of my bikes.

sv

Yep got one at £15 couple of weeks back. Full carbon post actually quite nice – factor in some gritty paste as mine slipped like buggery.

splitlip
    Free Member

They where inline double bolt seat clamp, but 350mm post iirc. Are there any issues with using one of these with a shim?

duntstick
    Free Member

Tell me, what’s wrong with carbon wrap, is it a bad idea, heavier, more breakable, what?
    Genuine Q

FuzzyWuzzy

Most carbon wrap is just for cosmetic reasons so really just adds weight

yoshimi

What Fuzzy said – might as well just go for a alu post………wish I’d have known aboiut these full carbon halfords posts 4 weeks ago before stumping up for an Easton

Wally

Look closely end on and you can see a wire core.

reggiegasket
    Free Member
    tinsy
    Free Member

crikey thats a bargain reggiegasket..

Does the Halfords one look like this?

Thats an Outland one from ebay, choice of diameters but its £30

Milkie
    Free Member

Oooh Carbon Seatposts… Under £20!???

Soo… Which one is the best, the PBK or HellFruads?
    I realise they are going to way a fair bit, the PBK one is apparently the same weight as a EA30 seatpost, its the vibration obsorbtion capabilities that I’m interested in.

Which one’s better?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

alloy/carbon composites are actualy quite strong, but its like steel bikes, a cheep bike shaped object is rubbish, an expensive one can be better than most of the alternatives.

As for the scaremongering horror stories about carbon posts snapping, from experience testing carbon hockey sticks to destruction, i’d guess the carbon ones goign to give more warning and wont “snap” they usaly just leave one end trailing fromt he other when the resin fails and the carbon remains intact holding the 2 together.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That PBK one is cheap for the weight.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Halfords kit is often good for the money. I had one of those posts for a year or so and eventually changed it for one of theose specialized pave ones. It was fine. it didn’t snap. i used it on a roadrat and it semmed quite comfortable.

which halfords are they for sale in?

Milkie
    Free Member

They are not for sale in my local Halfords! They had Riser bars for sale for £17.99 (aluminium) and seat posts for £15 (aluminiumm). 😥

Nor could I find the £20 shock pump!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Well i bought another one after seeing this thread and it stayed in a box of spares until earlier this month, and its snapped after the third ride! Snapped half way up the exposed bit too, nowhere near the clamp.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Halfrauds carbon seatpost, any good for £15?’ is closed to new replies.