Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Halfords in store pricing
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

What’s the point of it?
    I popped in the other day to pick up a couple of conti inner tubes that were £3.20 (ish) each on the website. Find them on the shelf and they were £7!
    So I asked a lad there if I reserve on line to collect can I have them as soon as the order comes up on your system?
    His response… “Oh, you don’t need to do that, we can price match off or own site”.
    So I just showed him my phone screen and he matches it. 2 tubes for less than the shelf price of 1.

So, are they the same company? Just hoping that they can rip people off?

jam-bo

Do you think they can be bothered to change all the labels every time the website changes?

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Really hate this and especially companies that claim they can’t do the Web price in store.

Isn’t the purpose of a website to advertise your store? Ffs

If any business claims they can’t do the website price I think it’s pure bull. They even advertise opening hours etc so they can’t have it both ways and say the shop isnt connected to the website.

Heard lots of different companies over the years that the Web and shop are completely different businesses.

hounslow
    Free Member

Jam Bo has it, because the website price matches to the online giants to drive sales to Halfords rather than the competition. The average punter doesn’t check online for an innertube though.

parkesie
    Free Member

Whats the problem? Online price is cheaper some days but they are happy to match it instore. Ive bought stuff thats been in a online sale where the instore price was higher. Not a problem they just price matched it.

bigblackshed

On the flip side I reserved a headlight refurb kit online, turn up at the store, out of pure chance I have a look on the shelf to read the description on the box that wasn’t on the website. Price on website £25. Price on shelf £19.

Always best to check.

finishthat
    Free Member

Really hate this and especially companies that claim they can’t do the Web price in store.

This – well know large bike shop in Caversham did this to me.
    Bought the item at the full price – told them to delete my details from their
    system – never been back never will.

andy4d

I got the wife’s bike there last week,their Website had an offer the store didn’t and the lad in store matched the Web offer no problem.

spooky_b329

Evans do this too…and they’ll just price match at the till. Doesn’t bother me as most of my shopping is done online.

jeffl

Same as J.E James, I guess if you do online and bricks and mortar you need to have low online prices to match the competition but up the instore prices for walk in trade. Just need to double check when you go. Bit if a ball ache but hey ho.

simmy
    Free Member

I had the same at ATS the other day. The tyre I wanted was £6 cheaper online when I checked it on my phone.

They initially told me to pay over the Internet and they would get a confirmation e mail and they could fit my tyre there and then.

When I asked could they not just adjust the price on the till and I would pay cash, they said ” oh yeah, suppose so ”

Places seem to just rely on customers being too lazy to check prices.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Had the same at tweeks without even checking the web price they just charged the web price

Fantombiker

Went to Halfords recently in an emergency for a chain. Guy says it will be £40, I said ok but that’s really expensive, he then said Halfords will price match the lowest price on the internet from any business. Got my phone out and dialled up chain reaction and walked out with said chain for about £15. Didn’t know they did this!

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Its good that Halfords match the price of their own website. Well I say good, it should be standard really.

Some places don’t and on many occasions I have left stores empty handed because they claim Web and store are different businesses so won’t honour price, in fact had it Friday with some furniture.
    They ddns however say I could buy online and collect in store. Absolute madness.

wwaswas

Currys won’t price match their web site.

I’ve stood at the till and done a click and collect order with the sales assistant holding the item in their hand more than once.

benpinnick

Yeah sometimes it works in your favour. I forgot my Garmin mount and am always losing them, so I popped into a Halfords to see if they have them.

£9 RRP, reduced to £6.50. Job done I thought. Get to the till, its now £3. I bought 3 packs 🙂 Oh and a little tray box for a quid from Poundland next door to keep them all in as it turns out you get a whole bunch in the pack!

richardthird

Price match + under boss radar collection + BC discount = Win 😀

canopy
    Free Member

Similar down here in The Bicycle Chain beginning of the year I went out looking for a Camelbak (and other supplies) as I had switched to a full suss and couldn’t carry two bottles easily

– Went in to a local halfords, saw on shelf price of a Camelbak Mule £75 quid

– Went into a The Bicycle Chain, balked at the £95 price tag on one, pointed it out to the sales guy and said I’d get it from Halfords on the way back home. He said they’d price match Halfords..

– Unbeknownst to me, Halfords online price was £50. So thats what I paid 🙂

Moral of the story. Know how much things cost / Be patient and buy online.

natrix
    Free Member

When I went in to Halfords (Farnborough branch) they wouldn’t price match their own website, gave me some chat about how it comes from different warehouses, blah, blah………..

pdw
    Free Member

Last time I was in Halfords, the guy in the bike section was happily pointing out to people when they should ask the till downstairs to price match their own website.

But it’s not something I expect from a business. If you want to sell online, you need to compete with businesses who have no shop front overheads. If you want to sell through shops, you’ve got overheads that online-only stores don’t have, and which competitive online pricing won’t cover.

In the rare circumstances that I find it more convenient to buy from a real store, I don’t have a big problem with paying more for that convenience.

dabaldie
    Free Member

Yep, Halfords should match their own web prices, and also the other online retailers providing it is in stock online and the price includes delivery. Just show the printout or phone.
    They will also price match and then you get BC 10% on top. Well they have everytime I’ve bought stuff from there. High 5 is always a good one, oh and continental inner tubes.
    Don’t forget BC 10% applies to ALL goods. not just bike related.

For all the slagging off they get online relating to fitting handlebars backwards etc.. some of their deals are pretty good.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Halfords in store pricing’ is closed to new replies.