Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Half marathon (coniston trail) off the peg training plan…
  • sefton
    Free Member

my wife has entered the Coniston half marathon. I beileve its mostly trails.

she can currently run half that distance with ease but she has never competed or trained (simply ran / jogged for fun)

I said I’d ask if anyone could point us in the direction of a training plan (the event is is June)

I know there are millions of cycling training plans so figured there must be equal running one?

any advice most welcome.

thank you

mogrim

I like the plans generated by the Runner’s World SmartCoach: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html

That said, if all she wants to do is finish she could just slowly build up the weekend/long run to about a 10-11 mile distance, say around 1:30 running. Mix in a couple of shorter, faster runs during the week and she won’t have any probably making it to the finish line.

Edit: now checked out the course profile. Time to hit the hills on the long run!

ElShalimo

I did it in 2013. Training should involve hills as the route has about 500m ascent & descent, also running on mixed surfaces footpaths, rocky tracks, tarmac, smooth paths etc. Make sure to train in the shoes that’ll be worn for the event.
    I struggled for 2 reasons, it was 25? and the idiots who organise it cocked up the course so we ran 14 miles not 13. They moved the start/finish from the school to Coniston Hall farm but forgot to tell the competitors about the extra distance! It messed up the marathon course too.

Beautiful race in a great location but Lakeland Trails will never get another penny from me. I know the area well and the event signage on approach was appalling. Most stewards were really nice but there were 2 awkward ones (maybe the heat fried their brains). I thought overall they were pretty shoddy. I’ve done a few trail races in the last 7-8 years with them but never again. They’ve grown too big and seem to have lost the fun, friendly approach.

I hope your wife enjoys it and good luck with the training.

ElShalimo

Ps the banana and flap jack at the food station was great but it could have done with more water stations in 2013 as it was just so hot

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 for Hal Higdon’s guide. I’ve just done it and it suited me perfectly.

Duggan

Just for some variation, I’ve used this one several times and it always seems to work. I like it as it’s very simple to follow and there’s not too much ‘sports science’ stuff which often just puts me off.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/table/2009/jan/10/half-marathon-programme

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Half marathon (coniston trail) off the peg training plan…’ is closed to new replies.