Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Half-Link Chains
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve been using a half-link in my single-speed chain for a while. However, the whole chain needs replacing now (stretched) so I’m wondering abotu a half-link chain for better looks.

Are they any good?

VanHalen

they can stretch more due to bendy bits in the link plates.

they are generally heavier.

they are cheap though and come in a variety of pimp colours so providing looks are the only buying criteria then all good.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

shadow conspiracy halk link was OK for me, just don’t use a chain tool on them (hammer and punch required)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just remove the half link and put the chain back together and it may well work.

epicyclo

Horrible things. Excessively heavy.

I buy one every 10 years or so to use as a supply of half-links though. 🙂

nsaints
    Free Member

Is there some technique when pushing a pin back into a link
    I always end up with a tight link – I must be doing something wrong

tried twisting a screwdriver in the hole to attempt to free the plates – not much luck 🙁

Offending chain lying lonely in the corner of the garage at the moment awaiting it’s impending fate – the tip or repair…

epicyclo

It’s a matter for fine judgement.

Sometimes I have to push the pin back a smidgeon in the opposite direction, but usually all I have to do is to flex the chain sideways a couple of times.

It’s all easier to do if you get a chain link tool that has a screw on backing piece.

nsaints
    Free Member

Applogize for the massive hijack
    that did it thanks, sideways flexing – there’s a guide on the park website for dealing with it

IanW
    Free Member

Used a half link chain for a while but it seemed to stretch every ride. Now in the parts box for a cheap supply of individual half links with achieves the same result without the weight or stretch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Half-Link Chains’ is closed to new replies.