Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Half fat
  • Flashy
    Free Member

I’m planning my winter project, (as long as I sell at least 2 frames).
    I don’t suppose anyone has one in the Bristol area I can try.
    I just thought I’d be sensible and try one before spending money on building something I’m not sure would be what I’m expecting…….
    Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

half fat is just a heavy wheeled sinky monster on 2.7s

needs to be 3 inch plus to have any float and the difference between 3 inch gazzas and a propper larry endo combo is like night and day !

flashes
    Free Member

Yep thinking Endo up front on a Large Marge rimmed type wheel……..

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah then you have a bike you can steer but not move ….

i built

a half fat last year with a larry upfront and a 2.5 out back it struggled in deep (6 inches + ) snow – i thought it was just a limitation even for fat tires ….

when my hub arrived i built a full fat sandman and rode the same depth of snow like it was a tarmac road really …

half fat is fine for general trail riding but for snow riding its pretty much down there with normal tires for uselessness – going narrow would be a better option imho …

stevemakin

Half fat Karate Monkey, with 3inch Duro Leopards in the back, works fine up to a point, I have a Mukluk on order now, if you can go full fat straight away

more pics here

8th March 2011 - trans pennine trail

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I’m going half fat with a Singular Swift [as soon as my ****’ front hub turns up 👿 ]

I was going to with a Mukluk frame, but I don’t think a Rohloff will fit the 170mm rear wheel spacing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I too tried it, it’s about 10% full fat, but you can try it without losing much £

The 3″ tyres are heavier and slower than 3.8s!

If you do it, I have a Gaz to sell.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, I’m going with a Surly Larry 3.8″.

epicyclo

I’ve tried various combinations of half fat. Surly 1×1 with 3″ rear, Scandal 29er, TD-1, all with a variety of fat front.

The back wheel keeps feeling as if it’s hanging up on stuff the front wheel has glided over. It still feels better than being nonfat.

flashes
    Free Member

This is what I’m hearing elsewhere. I think the cunning plan may be out the window. I have a full fat, so now I guess it’ll be plan c, I’ve already created a retro frankenbike, so monster bike it may be…

flashes
    Free Member

Who was the guy riding the half fat at SSEC?

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a fatfront and a full fat.

My take on it is that the full fat is more fun but the half fat is faster on normal trails.
    However we do have a lot of very sandy trails round here and in the summer when the sand gets dry and very deep the full fat is faster.

sofaking
    Free Member

i saw at least 3 and a half

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m in…..once Larry turns up :0(

flashes
    Free Member

epicyclo
    Can you drop me an email, I have a couple of odd questions for you..
    Cheers
    Pete

uistboy
    Free Member

That was me

flashes
    Free Member

What was it you were riding?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Half fat’ is closed to new replies.