Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hadrian's Cycleway – What bike??
  • Moses

What type of bike is most likely suited to Hadrian’s Cycleway, NCN 72, Ravenglass- Whitehaven – Newcastle ?
    Has anyone experience of using the route? Is there much off-road?

Thanks in advance

imnotverygood

I did it on a cx bike. There is very little off road IIRC, the onlt bit I can remember was the bit around Sellafield where you run on matting over the dunes. You can easily divert around that if you want to. otherwise it is the usual Sustrans stuff.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Rigid, Schwalbe Marathons, or similar and you’ll be fine

RustySpanner

Whatever you fancy really, depending on how much you plan on carrying.
    I used a rigid MTB with slick-ish tyres, which was perfect for the route itself and the odd explore, which you’ll want to do. Can be a bit hilly and windy.

A proper touring bike would be great, but you could do it on anything really, apart from a DH or TT bike.
    A couple of teenage girls we met were using old 50’s 3 speed roadsters dragged out of someone’s shed and were loving it.
    It’s ace btw, enjoy yourself!

paul4stones

Wave as you pass our house.

You should be on a rigid 29er with cx tyres on.

tinribz
    Free Member

90% tarmac, did it on a rigid mtb with Marathons, a CX would have been faster. But it’s not a race. Depends what everyone else is riding and how many miles you split it up in to. Managed 85 the first day but that was the flat part.

legolam
    Free Member

My friend and I did the Carlisle to Newcastle section in a day last year – me on my MTB with semi slicks, her on her road bike. There’s the odd mile or so that’s not Tarmac but not much. Wished I’d been on a road bike by the end of the day!!

RustySpanner

paul4stones – Member

Wave as you pass our house.

Don’t – there was no bunting, no brew, nada.
    Not even a film crew.

I fully intend to poo in his garden next time.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Don’t – there was no bunting, no brew, nada.
    Not even a film crew.

Strange, we got coffee, sandwiches and cake when we passed. Maybe it’s just you. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing most of this later in the year. Going from Newcastle to Silloth hopefully in two days. It looks like its going to be pretty flat apart from the 30 or so miles over the pennines. I will probably be doing it OMG my BFe as its the most suitable bike I have. Although some on here would tell me to mtfu and do it on my BMX!

We have chosen a stupid time of year to do it just so we are soaked through to make it harder for us.

I used to knock out an average 18mph when I had a road bike so with the right tyres it shouldn’t be too bad.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hadrian's Cycleway – What bike??’ is closed to new replies.