Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Had my first time riding in about 6 months yesterday
  • grumm
    Free Member

Been suffering with post viral fatigue/chronic fatigue for a while as you may have seen me whining about on here. Not really been able to do an awful lot in the last 6 months.

Been feeling a little better recently, and on saturday I went out biking for the first time in ages. Just did a really short gentle ride round Claife but it was such good fun – felt absolutely brilliant. Will have to see how much I suffer for it in the next few days but I'm feeling ok at the moment.

I had to take it very easy and found it pretty hard, walked most of the climbs and even found the downs pretty knackering. Went out with Shoei off here who is also suffering some health issues and it was nice to meet up with people but not feel any pressure to go quick. We just took a nice chilled pace and stopped lots for pics etc

I'm not gonna get carried away – but if I can manage something like this once a month or so I would be a very happy man indeed. I still think it's gonna take me a while to fully get better though. Thanks to all the people on here who told me not to sell my bikes – was very close to sticking them on ebay at one point as I found it really upsetting looking at them sat not being used and reminding me of being ill.

The last few months have been a blur and pretty much a nightmare for me, but I feel I may be finally starting to turn a corner. Yay! I even managed to go over to Leeds and play a gig last night, and I feel pretty ok today. Must be careful not to get carried away again though – had many false dawns before.

The bikes 🙂

My gf on the On One I built up 'for her' 😉

vrapan
    Free Member

Well done grum nice pics too 🙂 you are working that GF1 plenty

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice one fella 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Craking story!! Keep it up mate!! 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

😀 good to hear man.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

vrapan it was a GF1 fest – me and Shoei both have them. 🙂

I tell you what, buying that camera was one of the best things I have ever done. Kind of got me through what was probably the lowest point of my life so far. Sounds daft but it's pretty much true.

scraprider
    Free Member

nice one , its all about , just being out , graet day.

Bunnyhop

Really good news grum 🙂

A tip from a fellow sufferer, make sure you eat as much as you can tonight.

I used to have a high energy sports recovery drink ( torq) when I came in from any exercise.

At the moment I can barely walk a hundred metres let alone ride. Am hoping that it won't be long before I'm back on the trails like you.

Great photos too.

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers you two 🙂

Sorry to hear you are struggling at the mo Bunnyhop. I'm sure you will recover and get back on the trails, it's just tricky having to learn to be patient!

I was at a point not long ago where I couldn't really see a future for myself, or imagine recovering. I feel like I have finally turned a corner. I still don't feel 'right' – I'm sure there will still be setbacks and frustrations, and it might take a while to get properly better.

I suppose it's possible I might never get back to where I was before I got ill, but we'll see.

fontmoss
    Free Member

good luck and hope you can build on today

mrsflash
    Free Member

Great news Grum.

Sorry you're having a bad time at the mo bunnyhop. I hope you're feeling better soon.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Good stuff, Grum – nice bikes and great pics too; well done. Really pleased for you.
    Keep on keeping on, Bunnyhop… hope things start to get better soon.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone. Not feeling too brilliant today – getting up the stairs just now was fairly knackering. Don't feel too bad though – not the overwhelming tiredness to the point of feeling ill that I have usually had before.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Great pics 🙂

Sorry to hear about the CF….hope you can manage your way out of it. Takes a long time, but it is possible to be as, or better, than you were before you got sick 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

well done sir glad you got out again

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers Junkyard and littlegirlbunny.

Maybe one day I'll even get that stuff off you Johnnie 😆

Bunnyhop

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Grum are you still aiming for a 'crocs' ride?

I've had months without feeling ill, then all of a sudden the dreaded cfs. strikes again, so hopefully you'll get months in the future grum where you'll start to feel almost normal.
    I find the trick is not to take these 'normal weeks/months for granted, by eeking out your energy time.

ART

Grum those pics are fabulous, especially loving the mountain/ lake panorama, I'd have that on my wall like a shot. I love that riding is so many things for different people, you were right to keep the bikes, don't let go of the feeling – it's what makes all the other stuff worthwhile.

Warm wishes to you and bunnyhop too. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Well I'm feeling fairly crappy again today, but it was worth it. Still a big improvement over how I felt after the last time I tried biking though I think.

Bunnyhop – that must be really hard as I know how tempting it is to feel like you are 'cured', and how hard it is to then have a setback. Must be especially hard if you have been well for months before it happens.

I guess you have to hold on to how you felt when you were better and remember that you will feel like that again. Easier said than done though sometimes.

Me and Shoei's ride was the 'crock's ride' but I would happily arrange another one if you fancy something to look forward to.

Thanks ART – I'll sell you a print if you like 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Looks stunning. Especially the mountain in the background pic 😀

ART

Ooh really, that would be great. Have sent a message to the email in your profile. 😀

Karinofnine

Gosh, I hope you two get better soon. Great pics. Best wishes.

shoei
    Free Member

It was a cracking day, but like Grum im suffering from it.
    Caught between a rock and a hard place.
    Want to get out for my own sanity but know that I'll suffer afterward.
    Just wish they'd say for definite what it is then i can get on with my life.
    Had another session in an MRI scanner yesterday. Hopefully this'll tel em something.

Would defo be up for another ride, rather have 1 nice out enjoying myself and a few days of discomfort than sitting at home wondering "what if?"

grumm
    Free Member

ART – not had anything through yet. The email in my profile should be right. Try grum01@gmail.com though.

Cheers Karinofnine

Good luck with the test results Shoei – I know how you mean about not knowing, makes it very tough when you're not sure what you're dealing with.

Let's try and arrange something for towards the end of this month maybe? Im off on holiday for the next week and a bit and I think I need to recover anyway. 🙂

shoei
    Free Member

Good luck with the test results Shoei – I know how you mean about not knowing, makes it very tough when you're not sure what you're dealing with.

Let's try and arrange something for towards the end of this month maybe? Im off on holiday for the next week and a bit and I think I need to recover anyway.

Hopefully find out end of the week, early next week.

I'll leave it to you to decide when regards next ride.

grumm
    Free Member

Right, well good luck.

I'll post up on here or give you a shout when I get back off holiday. Bet the weather won't be like this by then. 😛

Bunnyhop

Goodluck shoei.

Have a good holiday grum.

grumm
    Free Member

ART – not had anything through yet.

Doh, it had gone in my spam folder. YGM.

Cheers Bunnyhop – i'll take lots of piccies 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Just a little update in case anyone is following my progress 🙂

Went for another short ride yesterday – this time a leisurely 15k or so round Grizedale – fantastic day. Will have to see how I get on this week but I really enjoyed it anyway.

Topped off by a lovely sunset in Lancaster

_tom_
    Free Member

Good to hear you're getting back on the bike 🙂 If you want someone to ride with anywhere midlands-ish let us know, I'm really unfit so my pace is pretty relaxed 😛

btw I had a quick go with one of those GF1s today, really nice and easy to use so hopefully if I can get the money together I'll have one in the next month or so!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Went to Swinley for my first serious off road ride in 6 months, all I've done since last summer is the odd commute and the odd blast throught he woods.

First trail was what can only be decribed as a series of berms pinned against a hillside so steep they were built with sticks to stop them falling off!

Ended up being on the bike for a good 6 hours and enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Bunnyhop

Yay grum.
    I did my first ride in months too ( well solo, not on a tandem).
    Took my 7yr old nephew for his second ever mtb ride and could only just keep up with him. Just a local pootle about 3 miles. Slept for 12 hours though, as so tired but worth it.

Keep going grum, I'm pretty sure this warmer weather is helping.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one everyone. 🙂

Yeah I def think when you are quite weak generally the cold saps your energy.

grumm
    Free Member

btw _tom_ I don't think you will be disappointed if you get a GF1. 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

Excellent grum.
    Superb pics.

Getting off and walking some climbs, going slow is sometimes the best way to do it, especially with scenery like that…..gives a chance to take it all in and give thanks.

Bonne Continuation 🙂
    SB

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Well done. I hope things get better for you. Where's Claife it looks really nice?

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers everyone – forgot to say well done Bunnyhop.

Claife is in the Lakes, near Windermere – can be linked up with some riding in Grizedale for an excellent route but too long for me at the mo.

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno if anyone is following this still but I will hopefully look back at this thread one day to see how far I have come…

Managed to get out again today – did the Lonscale Fell loop from Keswick – fantastic. Managed to clean all of the tricky section with the drop which I was pretty pleased about. 😀

Will have to see how I get on in the next few days but it was great. Onwards and upwards. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Keep up the good work mate. Chronic Fatigue is a total bastard, I suffered from it for almost 4 months at the back end of 2008, and to be honest, it very nearly destroyed me!

What got me back together funnily enough was riding bikes. I started off relatively slowly, like yourself, but within a month or so I was getting out 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of hours at least. And because I'd missed riding so much, and I could feel what it was doing for my health, riding my bike became my main excitement for a long time. It totally rejuvenated my love of riding bikes…

If I'm honest, I don't think I've fully got over it even now as every time I get ill, it affects me quite a lot more than the average person, but that said perhaps I'm only saying that now as I'm currently off work ill. But that is for the first time in nearly 12 months, and my fitness is better than it has been since I was about 16 right now (and I'm fast approaching my 30th).

Don't underestimate the good feeling you get from exercise, it REALLY makes a difference, even if it's only a few km on the bike at a very slow pace…

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers mboy. Obviously I really love going out biking – mentally it's so good for me. The tricky part is trying to work out what's a reasonable amount to do – I've many times got a bit carried away and done too much and set myself back.

Going to try and do something every week for a bit though and build it steadily and see how I get on. For quite a while it used to really frustrate and upset me going out and just doing a little bit – it just reminded me of what I used to be able to do. I can enjoy a gentle pootle a lot more now.

Managed nearly 20km and 400m climbing yesterday though, which is probably the most I've done in about 9 months.

Hope you feel better soon too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Had my first time riding in about 6 months yesterday’ is closed to new replies.