Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Hacking the Bryton 50
  • bentudder

Of slightly limited interest to those that don’t have one – but has anyone had any success tinkering with the Bryton 50? It’s a Windows CE Core 5.0 device (looking at the license on the back of the DVD sleeve).

At the moment, you can’t add the old OSM-based maps with Bryton Bridge 2, which is a serious PITA as I bought an older version without the Navteq maps.

The directory structure on the DVDs looks pretty straightforward, although there is also an MD5 checksum. As I don’t have a DVD drive on my (work) PC, I’ve copied across the folders from the DVDs to my HD for the time being.

I have the original SD card with maps of Israel, and the file structure looks pretty straightforward, with a tiny XML file at the top that lists the map, country, origin (Open Street Maps and Open Cycle Map) et cetera.

Has anyone had any luck either manually building maps folders on the SD card, or importing upgraded versions of OSM?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Don’t the new ones come with proper OS mapping rather than Open Street Map? I want to upgrade mine to OS maps to make it easier when in the wilds to find out where to go.

Edit: Not sure if you mean Ordnance Survey Maps or Open Street Map when you say OSM.

bentudder

Open Street Map, sadly.
    OS mapping would be excellent, but it looks like you have to buy a whole brand new device to get it.

bentudder

Oh, and did I mention file transfer to a MicroSD card via the device is slooow? Best to plug it into a USB adapter direct.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It is a bit slow isn’t it.

I think I have OSM on mine but I just checked the box and it says Navteq so now I’m not sure. The website has changed too so I cant see where to check. Oh well.

bentudder

Yep, the web site has changed since the first reviews and forum posts came out, so lots of links to what looked like useful pages are now broken.

Currently tinkering with the xml file at E:\data\mapsinfo\currentMap.xml where e: is the SD card. *most* of the information needed to build a local one for your own map is in \maps.xml on the older version’s DVD. Directories copy across directly. When I’m not doing this as displacement activity, I’ll write it up properly.

bentudder

OK, if you’ve the latest firmware and Bryton Bridge 2, there’s no way of getting maps on an SD card.

However, if you go onto the Bryton itself, there are a bunch of files onboard that should auto-install the original bridge software when you originally plug in the device.

I copied all of these files over to my PC (not necessary, but you can do it in the background and then run the install quicker) and installed the original BrytonBridge alongside BrytonBridge2. I quit BB2 and shut down its taskbar app that monitors for attached Bryton devices so as not to send anything squirrelly.

At the moment, I’m using it to grab maps from the DVD and put them on the SD card. Works a treat so far – fingers crossed.

One other thing I noticed from digging around – that xml file has a default location for when the map initially starts up:

<defloc lat=”31.7857″ lon=”35.2007″/>

If you’re firing up your Bryton in Israel, the default location appears to be a B&B in Jerusalem. 😀

By changing those two numbers, you can set your default location to your house, the local bike shop / strip joint / pub / nearest smashing trail if you want.

bentudder

OK, quick update. Maps installed OK – althoguh they have to be with the card in the Bryton, not in any old card reader. So it’s pretty slow, but hopefully you won’t need to do it much. You also need to use the DVD – you can’t point BB1 at the files copied from the DVD onto your hard drive. I’m going to try making a volume out of the files and mounting it with something like Diskimager to see if I can spoof the software at some point.
    I tried changing the Defloc (as it’s defaulting to somewhere in the Atlantic for me, when there’s no GPS lock) and it doesn’t work. Back to the drawing board on that one. 🙁

01eg
    Free Member

I recently bought this device – Bryton Rider 50.
    I’m interested in installing OpenStreetMaps and maps of other countries (that are not on DVD Brytoncorp)

Here are instructions for replacing the country maps for more detailed maps –
    http://ameblo.jp/a-jiru/entry-11119859529.html

Translate.google not good. Maybe you will be able to understand well translated.

To replace the need for programs (Mobile atlas creator 1.8, Tksqlite)
    I could not fully understand and do on the basis of the card replacement instructions (eg Israel maps on Russia maps)

SD Card Maps Israel (Rider 50) –
    https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B6jHNIec92QNbGFwT1Nlck5Mc3c&export=download

bentudder

Looks interesting. I’m going to try and copy across individual sentences and steps from that post to Google Translate when I have time.

One thing: I’d be careful of uploading mapping stuff like that – it may well be owned by Bryton or licensed to Bryton, so you might be messing with someone’s copyright.

I have checked with Bryton’s importers in the UK about buying the Ordnance Survey maps separately, by the way. Apparently no plans to do so, but we can always just buy a new device from them instead. 🙄

bentudder

Mobile Atlas Creator:

http://mobac.sourceforge.net/

01eg
    Free Member

More detailed instructions create your own maps –
    http://olpost.com/v/6819316
    http://ameblo.jp/jonx2/entry-11295655677.html

bentudder

A GPL app for reading Bryton devices – looks Linux-only for the mo:

https://github.com/Pitmairen/bryton-offline

Discussion of connection problems with Bryton 50:

https://github.com/Pitmairen/bryton-offline/issues/2

bredy
    Free Member

Someone had translate this istruction?

bredy
    Free Member

Someone have try this solution for use OSM with Bryton Rider with success?

akin
    Free Member

hi,
    make new map for Bryton Rider50 is easy but hard work.
    following is make map instructions.(sorry poor English…)

1.Preparation
    (1)Windows PC with 10GB-20GB free space(depend on your map size),need internet connection
    (2)MobileAtrasCreator ver1.8(use this version, other version cannot rip)
    (3)tksqlite(you can use other sqlite tool)
    (4)large size new microSD card(I use 16GB microSD, i bought it only US$7.00) class4 OK
    (5)Bryton Rider50,USB cable, microSD(original 2GB)

2.Rip map cells
    Bryton map divided 3 level resolutions map DBs.
    1st is called city_xx_yy.dat
    2nd is called country_xx_yy.dat
    3rd is called continent_xx_yy.dat
    (other “world” map is inside Bryton main storage…)
    see and check your microSD \data\rastarmap\.

You have to rip same size map cells from internet. Then you exec MobileAtrasCreator and
    choose your favorite map(Google Maps, Yahoo Maps,OSM,…and so on)

ex.city_113_50.dat(Tokyo=because i live in Tokyo)
    (1)select “Map source” Google Maps(or other)
    (2)select “Grid zoom” 7(“Zoom:” lever 4,5,6,7 you want)(in case of city_xx_yy.dat *1.)
    (3)check “Zoom Levels” 15(in case of city_xx_yy.dat *1.)
    (4)choose area Tokyo in map. and “Add selection” in “Atlas Content”)
    (5)select “Format:” RMaps SQLite from “Atlas setting”
    (6)push “Create atlas” bottom and wait.

*1.when you rip map cells
    country_xx_yy.dat select “Grid zoom” 6,check “Zoom Levels” 14,13,12.
    continent_xx_yy.dat select “Grid zoom” 3,check “Zoom Levels” 11,10,9,8,7,6.

3.Exchange map cells from ripped DB to original map DB.
    Open map DB with tksqlite.
    Delete original cells in original map.(you have better to backup original maps)
    insert ripped cells.*3.

ex.city_113_50.dat(Tokyo)
    (1)exec tksqlite.
    (2)open city_55_27.dat
    (3)exec SQL commands like follows,
    attach database ‘rippedDB.sqlitedb’ as newdb;

delete from main.tiles
    where z =2; –*2.

insert into main.tiles
    select z,x,y,0,image from newdb.tiles
    where z =2; –*2.

*2.when you make map level
    country_xx_yy.dat,z=3,4,5,
    continent_xx_yy.dat z=6,7,8,9,10,11.
    *3.you can rewrite ripped DB’s Column name as original, instead of insert DB method.
    (Do not ask me about this method, because i am not a expert of SQL or SQLite.)

fin.

bredy
    Free Member

But what is the meaning of 113_50 in city_113_50.dat

akin
    Free Member

>But what is the meaning of 113_50 in city_113_50.dat
    OK.it’s easy.
    Start Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8 and select Grid zoom 7.
    You can see many Grids in the world.(128*128=x:0-127 y:0-127)
    Upper left corner is 0_0. then 113_50 is 114th shift from left side and 51st down side from top.

Selected Grid is the place city_xx_yy.dat map.
    Ex.London is 63_42
    Paris is 64_44
    Rome is 68_47
    Beijing is 105_48

akin
    Free Member

I’m sorry a mistake in my first post.
    >ex.city_113_50.dat(Tokyo)
    >(1)exec tksqlite.
    >(2)open city_55_27.dat————->open city_113_50.dat
    >(3)exec SQL commands like follows,
    >attach database ‘rippedDB.sqlitedb’ as newdb;

bredy
    Free Member

But I see with tksqlite that the x and y on file created is not the same that original file. Similar but not exactly. Is correct?

akin
    Free Member

In general,it must same as original,but exception exist.
    Map cells(tiles) no need the place on sea or out of boader.

Let me see your sample.
    City_xx_yy.dat x=from to y=from to.

bredy
    Free Member

city_76_52.dat
    original
    x 19503 y 13312 to x 19649 y 13567
    with Mobac
    x 19456 y 13056 to x 19711 y 13311

bredy
    Free Member

But I have problem with rider 50 when I zoom in with new map it’s to slow.

akin
    Free Member

You made a mistake when you select area.
    Correct y is 13312-13567.x is OK.

You have to re-ripping .

bredy
    Free Member

Ok, but about the slow map in bryton? I think beacuse the file is most bigger then the original.

akin
    Free Member

I donot know why your bryton slowdown.my bryton is not slow
    evenif i use big maps and class4 SDcard.(11GB)

You use correct country_38_26.dat?
    It needs 3 levels maps.14,13,12.

bredy
    Free Member

Yes, but I use Microsoft Map and not Yahoo, because is red cross.

bredy
    Free Member

Do you know if it’s possible to have a better zoom? Because there are zoom 16, ecc

bredy
    Free Member

Another question what tipe of microSd is support? I see you use a 16Gb. Is a SDHC?

akin
    Free Member

>Do you know if it’s possible to have a better zoom? Because there are zoom 16, ecc
    No,Bryton can’t treat zoom level 16. Bryton treats 15-2 zoom levels. See xml file in your original SD card.

>Another question what tipe of microSd is support? I see you use a 16Gb. Is a SDHC?
    Yes, over 2GB SD’s standard is SDHC. You can use til 32GB microSDHC.
    I use 16GB microSDHC class 4.it’s slow but enough.

akin
    Free Member

Try this.
    http://fast-uploader.com/file/6947032590929/
    I made microsoft map israel.

until end of Feb. 2014.

bredy
    Free Member

For example your city_72_56 is 51.476Kb the same file that I have created is 61.483Kb.
    I don’t know why but in the table your file have x 19456 y 13312 to x 19647 y 13567, my file have x 19456 y 13312 to x 19711 y 13567, more tile on x (infact my file have 65536row your 49152row.

And why you put check on primary key in Z,X,Y. In the original file they don’t have this check.

bredy
    Free Member

wich setting do you have in Mobac 1.8?
    For example Tile store coverage, layer setting, Map Size> maximum size?

bredy
    Free Member

Another question, why in metadata table in continent you put minlevel 2, when in original file is 7, in the city maxlevel 6 when the original is 2?

akin
    Free Member

1.I think it’s no need Jordan area,so I cut the area from ripping.
    2.Primary key set automatic?I don’t know about it.But it’ll be meaningless for Bryton maps.
    3.in setting,I set Map Size =1048575
    4.You say about “info”table? may original is right.Not used in Bryton?
    I use Japan original map and replace ripped map.

bredy
    Free Member

1)How you select the area from ripping, not only select Grid zoom 7 for city for example?
    2) I try and no difference work in any case.
    3) The max size, I read in other tread that this was set to 1024, then I change to your setting, I see it too fast.
    4) In my original file the zoom level are setting different, but I see they work in any case, then I think is not important.

5) In layer setting what do you put, or not use it?

Thank you very much.

akin
    Free Member

1)In Grid zoom 7,you remember the target area.And change Grid zoom 9.
    You can see more fine Grid,4 x 4 area.You can Add selection where you want.

5)I don’t use it.

bredy
    Free Member

I see if I use other map that the file is too big, and time for download is long.

If you change Minlevel in currentMap.xml it is possible to use an extrazoom.

akin
    Free Member

I think you may misunderstand about Bryton’s zooming.
    It’s mechanism is simply display assigned level bitmap.
    So if need-level-map not exists,no map display.

A cell(tile) size is 256 pixels*256 pixels(PNG format) and
    Max 65536 cells(tiles) per DB.(in case of city_xx_yy.dat)
    (This is big but not huge.)

You’d better wait until download complete.(Need patience!)

bredy
    Free Member

I try and it support microSd HC I class 1 very good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Hacking the Bryton 50’ is closed to new replies.