Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • H4 headlight bulbs: much of a muchness?
  • MadBillMcMad

been thinking of a harness upgrade for my defender for the same reason.

I guess they are illegal but I was looking yesterday at the H4s with 90watts on the dipped beam. Anyone tried them ?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I have Philips extreme bulbs and the upgraded loom on my T4.. it will make you realise how crap the original headlights are on dimmed

nealglover
    Free Member

Surely it’s just a relay and a bit of wire though so £43 seems a little steep

You could always buy all the bits and make one yourself, if you know what needs to be done, and how to do it ?

But for most people buying a ready made setup, made by someone who knows what they are doing, with all the right connections fitted, and instructions of how to fit it, is by far the best option.

And to be honest, £43 is well worth it for the difference it makes.

And I presume that came with a set of upgraded bulbs as the loom was £35 on their site when I last looked ?

Stoner
    Free Member

nope – just loom. I got some osrams from ebay. didnt bother going for superdooper ones.

£35 before P&P

BadlyWiredDog

You could always buy all the bits and make one yourself, if you know what needs to be done, and how to do it ?

I’ve made a few myself, a couple for a Mk2 GTi and one for my Corrado. If you want to do it properly, it’s not that cheap – some of the eBay looms are really poorly made: non-waterproof fuse holders, basic crimped joints, cheap relays etc. I’d rather do it myself and solder and heat-shrink the connectors etc. Plus you’ll need, at the least, a decent crimping tool, proper waterproof fuse holders, good quality wire etc. The costs soon add up.

Yes, you can do it on the cheap, but do you really want to be driving along with shonky headlight wiring under your bonnet?

It makes a huge difference on older VWs particularly if you also upgrade the bulbs at the same time.

popstar
    Free Member

If you fancy tinkering and get real light perfomance OEM style browse here

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I changed my mind from eBay to these kits, and don’t look back.

nealglover
    Free Member

£35 before P&P

Makes sense, forgot about p&p

I’ve always bought off Ade at shows so never paid postage before.

Still, its a properly put together loom using decent bits and its tried and tested by loads of people before.

Well worth the money I reckon.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Struggling with the Eorocarparts website so tried elsewhere – reviews pan the Osrams for very short life – typically less than a year (only weeks in some cases).

Any experiences on here with short life?

nealglover
    Free Member

My Multivan has the same set of Osram night breaker+ bulbs in since 22nd December 2009.

I fitted them, and the wiring loom, at the garage in Berlin the day I bought it, so I could drive it home with decent lights 🙂

It gets a lot of use too, roughly 25k miles/ year.

My old T4 had one set of the same bulbs in the 2 years I owned it.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘H4 headlight bulbs: much of a muchness?’ is closed to new replies.