Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • H-Bars – Any fans?
  • tinribz
    Free Member

I hear they are the thing to turn your MTB in to a tourer, are they any good? Pics would be nice.

Bit confused about where you put the shifters or are they SS only.

Clink

turn your MTB in to a tourer

how very dare you!! 🙂
    I've got the original version on my main bike (ti 29er) and love them. Very comfortable and I like the grip angle. I think I would struggle to go back to 'normal' bars now. Having said that, I would struggle to justify a set at current prices (got mine 2nd hand).

Old version is ss only, although you can add thumbies – loads of info on mtbr about brake/gear setup.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I love mine with either standard brakes when used in SS mode and when used with gears dual control shifters work really well.

tangent
    Free Member

I started using a long awhile back for whilst recovering from a broken collar bone – as the riding position offered was just right post injury…still using them now – so yes a bit of a fan. Mostly run singlespeed, but did try bar end touring shifters in the ends which looked a bit mad – but worked…

charliedontsurf

running them with gears on the big dummy – an opulent tourer for the cycling gent with a tipi and wine cellar.

Get those shifter up close to the junction and you can still get to them, so not SS only. But i am tempted with thumbies.

Those are the pikey Titec alloy version, cos $500 usd is a fair few quid.

and YES they are great for touring… not tried them on my SIR9 29er yet.

mentalalex
    Free Member

i have some flat versions of them and i love em, so comfy

tinribz
    Free Member

Nice pic, that's just the set-up I was thinking, even have the ergons standing by.

kinda666
    Free Member

Got some Titec J-bars on my SS, You gonna buy Keefs Jones bars Alex?? 🙂

charliedontsurf

The ergons work well on h bars, but keep an allen key in your pcoket for the first 10 miles… there are a zillion bar angle, brake lever angle, shifter angle, ergon angle combinations… and then you have to get the left the same as the right.

I killed my nerves in my hand riding to SSWC07 in aviemore (some 700-800 miles) and the ergons/h bars work well, i still get numb hands at night, but less so with these.

Just for the hell of it… here is a you tube of my first big dummy h bar ergon tour… BIG DUMMY H BAR ERGON TOUR IN SANDLES

Also, gotta say Jeff is very nice chap, feet pounding the cleats, head in the clouds kinda guy and all the better for it. Great bloke. Had an idea, had the skill and balls, and gave us some sweet bars… good on him.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have some J bars which work well on my geared (flippy lever) bike, not convinced for a SS as the extensions seem pointless when you spin out on the road

bedmaker

I love mine and use them geared( 1*9) and SS. I use an XTR rapidfire shifter with the removeable clamp. Take off the clamp and then bodge something to go round the straight bit of the bar, I used an alloy clamp that was part of a dead microscooter. Little bolt through this into the top of the shifter and bobs yer uncle.
    Ergons here too, great combination.

Haven't noticed my bike becoming a tourer yet though.

Daffy

I've got a set of Jones H-Bars that I'm looking to sell on.

£175 ono?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Not a great picture. The shifters here are Pauls/Dura-Ace thumbies.

To my mind, once I'd got shifters on the extensions the useable length of the extension was reduced so much that I didn't use the position. I went back to a Mary bar as a result, which are appreciably less gopping and have a similar backsweep.

sslowpace
    Free Member

My Jones H-bars sorted out wrist problems i had that were severely limiting my riding time.

Currently on my carbon anthem with 1×8 pauls mounts and dura ace thumbshifter. Looks wrong but works perfectly.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

*Laughs and points at Clink*

Ha Ha! You ride a tourer!
    😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had a ride on a Kona Unit with some of those Titec H-bars recently. The fella was going to let me take it on the twisties too, until he had a mechanical and had to go home. But on a quick ride round a field I have to say they did feel strangely nice……
    🙂

Dunno weather I'd use them offroad, but on a tourer I'd have some like a shot.

Clink

*Laughs and points at Clink*

Ha Ha! You ride a tourer!

😆

Tourer's climb well off-road though! 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

true.

Damn your fit-whippet physique!
    😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘H-Bars – Any fans?’ is closed to new replies.