• This topic has 50 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Gym help
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My hotel gym has one of these

But there’s no diagrams of suggested exercises, and I can’t find anything on the web. Anyone got any ideas of where to look?

rs
    Free Member

pull the handles in different directions

iDave
    Free Member

can’t you work it out?? move various limbs against resistance???

in the manner of someone exercising

Tinners

The seat is reclined back too far for starters. You’ll spill your beer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

move various limbs against resistance?

lol. he is correct.

rs
    Free Member

The seat is reclined back too far for starters.

wouldn’t be bad if you could find a nice lady to straddle you

RealMan
    Free Member

Pick the entire thing up and bench press it, duh.

molgrips
    Free Member

can’t you work it out?? move various limbs against resistance???

I could, but I’d rather ask if someone had any useful input first 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

If you knew what to do with it, what would that be?

Jamie
    Free Member

I could, but I’d rather ask if someone had any useful input first

God forbid you actually tried to use the thing or ask someone who works there….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I could offer you advice… but you seem to reject my pearls of wisdom when it comes to running……

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it a vacuum pump ?

steve-g
    Free Member

It looks like you would need to drop the seat flat and tuck your knees under the pads to use it for pulldowns. There should probably be be some more attachments so you can vary how wide your grip is.

Does the seat slide backwards and forwards? If so then you would use the lower set of handles for flys, and whatever you call it when you do flys backwards facing the other way.

Looks like more hassle than it’s worth, get some dumbells and a bench.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Do your shoes have markings indicating right and left?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Looks a bit limited to me – can do tricep push downs, seated cable rows and elevated feet sits ups from what I can see but I should think you can re-route cable to do leg exercises and other stuff.

The weight stack looks weedy though – a common problem with hotel mini gyms that top out at 90kg.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Not much that you cant do on that. Pretty sure you could use it as a sex swing too.

molgrips
    Free Member

God forbid you actually tried to use the thing or ask someone who works there….

I have tried, end up flapping around ineffectually. And no-one works at the gym, it’s a hotel. Lots of waiters and chefs 🙂

I should’ve said that I would use it to try and get some upper body strength and general tone. Feeling pretty old and weak from the waist upwards.

I did find a video on their site, some interesting stuff. But you are saying basically you have to make it up as you go along?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – here’s what you need:

A Theraband, some stoutish chairs and a room.

With that you can do a decent hotel room workout using a variety of body weight exercies. Use the Theraband to do bicep curls, tricep pushdowns and seated rows. For the rest do dips, press up variations and similar.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or, I could use the machine in the gym 🙂

I am however favouring the idea of yoga type exercises, this could be better for what I want to be honest.

McHamish
    Free Member

Got an iPhone?

If you have, download iFitness.

Pull various things till you find something you like.

brassneck

I should’ve said that I would use it to try and get some upper body strength and general tone. Feeling pretty old and weak from the waist upwards.

Jeez, how long are you planning to stay?? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

About 34 weeks so far, and another 7 or so coming up 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

There is one of those at our gym too. Fat women sit on at and send text messages.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

pull the handles in different directions

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Feeling pretty old and weak from the waist upwards.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Or, I could use the machine in the gym

TBH, it looks sh1t. And the exercises I suggested will both tone and strengthen.

But because I suggested them, you’ll ignore them 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

The machine looks good I reckon – looks like hundreds of combinations, which is part of the issue.

Jamie I’m 35.

Mat, I’d definitely consider those exercises, although I don’t really know what they are 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

If you haven’t got an iPhone, you could try one of these;

There got to be something here.

or here

Or alternatively…google

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie I’m 35.

Weird how you get a picture of someone in your mind, as I thought you were a whippersnapper given all the questions you ask.

No harm in questions tho.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molgrips – AS a starter …. If you put the seat in the up right position you should be able to do all your pressing exercises… facing away from the machine?

nickc

Machines are cackipoo, working muscles in isolation is a shortcut to injuring them especially if you don’t know what you’re doing…which you don’t. Besides which you need to be running not bulking up your upperbody.

run fatboy, run

Keva
    Free Member

Mol’ there’s a whole load of body weight typr exercises available on youtube, starting from that hindu push up vid I posted. I usually do mine when I decide to go for a quick run round the park. Find a hill or a place with trees for markers – or take yer own markers and set up two or three shuttle runs at 20m intervals.

sprint /burpees
    sprint /press ups
    sprint sit ups
    sprint back
    rest in plank position 30 seconds repeat

that kind thing, add a variety of exercises and a vary the running etc and you’ll get miles fitter than you will using a poxy hotel gym machine.

Kev

iDave
    Free Member

I’m kind of baffled by this post. If there is a cable, with a handle and a weight at the other end of the cable, you can do infinite combination of exercises where you contract muscle against the resistance the weight provides.

Why do you need instructions? You can sit or stand or have your hands wide apart going down, going across??

Would a dumbell puzzle you?

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, it would.

I could wave one around a bit, but would it be a worthwhile exercise?

If you only want to dish out abuse, email it to me and I will have it redirected to the bin.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Difficult to say, without some scaling. How big is it?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molgrips – If it’s working a muscle it’s worthwhile?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do I eat it?

iDave
    Free Member

It’s not abuse. It’s surprise. As in, what TSY said up there ^^^

Use resistance to make muscles contract etc

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

iDave – Member

Well, you certainly puzzle me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but which muscles? Which ones do I want to exercise? What actions make those ones work? Which ones will help me in what area of daily or sporting life?

I don’t know. Maybe it’s time to start studying anatomy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Gym help’ is closed to new replies.