Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gym fees
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

My local gym has put it’s prices up again. If I cancel my membership they say I will have to pay £30! The staff have become so rude and the facilities don’t match the charges anymore. I was not made aware that they could introduce a price increase during membership, surely an agreed price per month must last the duration of the contract? Any ideas?

Flaperon

Believe it falls under unfair contract law. Certainly when Orange put the call charges up 2 months into a 24 month contract I had no problem cancelling it and keeping the phone without penalty.

Don’t see why a gym should be any different.

LycraLout
    Free Member

mobile contract is fixed term so terms are for duration of term. Gym membership is open ended, so terms can change. I’d tell them where to stuff the £30 charge though – just stop the dd and don’t go back (or keep going back till they stop letting you in)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks, you need an electric key to get in so I think they will just cancel it. I’m not paying the £30, it’s like a fine because I no longer think they are good value. The reception staff have become so rude. For thier monthly charges I could now get my dream bike on 0% apr, and have a few quid left over. Thanks again.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I could now get my dream bike on 0% apr, and have a few quid left over

Which’ll probably be better for your fitness than going to the gym.

brakes
    Free Member

if you can cancel your DD and get fined, expect to get threatening letters from supposed debt collection agencies
    I did the same and ignored the threatening letters for about 6 months 😕

carlos
    Free Member

Whos the gym?? As it’ll all be in the T&C’s. My Mrs used to do retention so is pretty clued up on this but will need a bit more info

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks bakes, I’m moving so I won’t forward my address. I think the fines ridiculous I’m glad you didn’t pay. Which gym was it?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

This is the club at the double tree in Chester

tails
    Free Member

Just go to another, they are very common so you can pick and choose last gym I joined I knocked a fiver off the monthly cost. Is double tree like a hilton, if so no wonder they are pricey.

Only problem is most gyms insist you do intro thing which guess what costs!

john_drummer
    Free Member

can’t you just give one month’s notice, in writing if necessary? That way there should be no way they can charge you a cancellation fee – unless it’s in the T&Cs of course, which you agreed to when you signed up

The reception staff have become so rude. then complain to the management. unless they are the management

brakes
    Free Member

my gym was Fitness First, I moved but they still found me

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks, it’s part of the Hilton group, It was good value when I joined. Both myself and other gym members have complained to the managment about staff, we’ve had vouchers for a free meal as compensation. I didn’t understand the difference between fixed contract and that which can be altered. I do now so thankyou to everyone for thier input.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gym fees’ is closed to new replies.