Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • GYM BODS!!
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Or t’other way round to be able to go big guns on your guns.

I know you’re taking the piss but I’ll bite.

Focusing on arm training usually has the opposite effect. Gyms are full of skinny blokes who spend an hour doing bicep curls every time they come in.

You’d be better off stopping training arms and focus on the core lifts.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

na its not for girls. i personally like the feeling of really pushing my self. as i come out the gym looking forward to that pain the next day lol…

i ride dh for this and i have the same outlook on the gym too.

i want to get big, not huge but some said it 100%, other bodybuilder respect other body builders.

i like to be bigger, i lost alot after i came off my bike and hurt my shoulder and trying to get back to that point if not a little more.

i dont want to get huge but bigger.

i weigh only 95 kilo and im 6ft5.

toning muscle doesnt appeal to me as i find this looks over keen, especially on a beach with your abs haning out and posing. im not a poser!!! 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5th – it’s tongue in cheek but personally I’d train my biceps with chest. Day of legs ro cardio, then train tricpes with back. That way you hit your arms twice in a week and on the arm specific exercises you’ve not already tired them out with compound exercises?

5thElefant
    Free Member

5th – it’s tongue in cheek but personally I’d train my biceps with chest. Day of legs ro cardio, then train tricpes with back. That way you hit your arms twice in a week and on the arm specific exercises you’ve not already tired them out with compound exercises?

OK, I see where you’re coming from, but… for example, I prefer to have my chest and tris hurt at the same time (a couple of days later). Having chest and bis hurt makes grouping your next workout tricky.

Blower
    Free Member

Keep mixing up the routines,shock and tear the muslces,protien straight after a workout,
    ive trained at the gym since i was at school,not so much nowadays,dont mess about when im there though, one routine straight after another,do opposite muscles to each other with no breaks inbetween,give it some hammmer, varaition is the key.

trickydisco
    Free Member

IMHO isolation exercises are for rehabilitation,muscle imbalances or ‘topping up’

It’s far better to do compound exercises which recruit other muscles for stability etc. Dead lifts, squats, free weight bench press etc.. are far, far better for building muscle then continually using machines which have 1 range of motion.

sc-xc

^ I only have free weights. Tend to do 5 sets of each exercise to failure, reps vary from 10-6

deft
    Free Member

I’m sorry but there is a woeful amount of ‘broscience’ BS in this thread.

Firstly, strength is a function of muscle cross sectional area and recruitment of these contractile fibres. There is no isolation of size or strength through rep ranges – if you disregard variables such as neural adaptation and exercise form in beginners, both strength and size will increase in line with each other or not at all.

The only way to consistently gain size and strength (there’s no either or) is to progressively load weight within a sensible rep range. Anything over 15 reps is generally considered to be endurance building and will have a lesser effect on hypertrophy – but the science pretty much stops there. Choice of rep range should be based on common sense and personal preference alone i.e. being able to maintain safe form, increasing weight without stalling. As long as you are progressively increasing workload and not letting it become easy, you will make gains. That’s all there is to it, anyone who tells you different is probably trying to sell you something.

As for muscle soreness, this is in no way an indicator of how hard you’ve worked. DOMS is thought to be caused (at least partly) by damage to muscle and connective tissue from lifting. The oldschool train of thought is that this is then how muscles grow (the fibres grow back thicker, stronger etc) – but in fact an entirely separate process called protein synthesis causes muscle growth. You stop getting DOMS after a few workouts as pain receptors become dulled, but protein synthesis still occurs up to a ‘cap’ rate. After this no matter how hard you destroy yourself, you won’t gain any more benefit, and you certainly don’t need to experience DOMS to reach this level.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nothing to argue with there. You eloquently explain why there are so many different approaches and they all work. It doesn’t matter a whole lot what you do.

As long as you are progressively increasing workload and not letting it become easy, you will make gains.

This is the key line.

You can’t keep increasing workload. At some point you adapt and you’re done. Which is where all the different approaches come back into it. Pick a different one and you’ll start gaining again.

deft
    Free Member

You can’t keep increasing workload. At some point you adapt and you’re done. Which is where all the different approaches come back into it. Pick a different one and you’ll start gaining again.

Absolutely. I’m not trying to be contentious, I don’t think anyone would argue the above point in the case of running or cycling: if you do x miles a day, you get good at doing x miles, but not massively further. The problem is that you can’t really sell common sense, so instead success is attributed elsewhere, usually to something with a USP that looks good in Men’s Health. The only thing science will conclusively support is the progressive increasing of workload.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Absolutely. I’m not trying to be contentious, I don’t think anyone would argue the above point in the case of running or cycling: if you do x miles a day, you get good at doing x miles, but not massively further. The problem is that you can’t really sell common sense, so instead success is attributed elsewhere, usually to something with a USP that looks good in Men’s Health. The only thing science will conclusively support is the progressive increasing of workload.

I didn’t mean to imply you were. I’m just making an observation that all approaches work, but they work better if you cycle between a selection rather than stick to one (rather than using the same approach and adding load).

It’s interesting you use the term USP. That is a nice way of summing it up. The U bit is the problem. It implies one approach is uniquely good. Easy to believe if you use that approach and it works, which it will, that other approaches must be invalid (particularly the apparently contradictory ones).

iDave
    Free Member

deft speaks the truth. amen

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Whoah, wait a minute… I want to get stronger and even more toned… but I don’t want to get bigger, no sir. WTF am I meant to do now?! 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Whoah, wait a minute… I want to get stronger and even more toned… but I don’t want to get bigger, no sir. WTF am I meant to do now?!

It’s purely down to diet. If you eat more than you burn and apply stimulus you get bigger and stronger. If you only eat what you burn you just get stronger. If you eat less than you burn you get toned.

jimmy

one thousand… one thousand one… one thousand two.. one… oh heh there, I don’t don’t if you heard me, I did over a thousand.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

60% of the time it works every time

catfood
    Free Member

All this talk of chest days, arm days and back days, didnt know about this.

I started doing a few weights last year when I had a sore foot and couldnt ride or walk much and wonder if doing the same workout three days a week can be anywhere near as effective, I try to do shoulders, chest back and arms in one workout, I dont do legs as theyve always been huge and SSing keeps them that way.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘pends what you’re trying to achieve…

catfood
    Free Member

Tone, strength, a bit more muscle here and there, naturally chunky but not all in a good way.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stick with full body (excl legs in your case) workouts then.
    Or, go and do bodypump classes and leer at lycra clad lovelys.

catfood
    Free Member

I dont do the gym Ive just got some dumbells I throw around, one larger set, one smaller.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do you want me to send you a picture of me in all my lycra clad loveliness? Is that what you’re saying?

catfood
    Free Member

I could put it on me wall for…..inspiration.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You got mail… 8)

catfood
    Free Member

Ding dong! 😛

catfood
    Free Member

So any tips on good upper body dumbell workouts? I think Im doing it ok but always open to good advice.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You got a chin-up bar?

If not, get one.

catfood
    Free Member

I had a go on a mates, pulling up 15 1/2 stone is hard work, especially hands facing away.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s exactly what you need to be doing then!

Initally set it low enough so that you can take as much weight as you need to through your legs.

Alternatively do jump assisted ones and then try and hold/ pause at the top before lowering yourself.

chiefgrooveguru

I had a go on a mates, pulling up 15 1/2 stone is hard work, especially hands facing away.

Put your feet on a stool when doing them until you can manage without. But the shorter and lighter you are the easier it is!

catfood
    Free Member

Thatll play havoc with me tennis elbow that will.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

lol, if u got an iphone download a free app called fitness pro… great little app with excersizes

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you’ve got an iPhone just remember to congratulate yourself with alternate hands to avoid muscular imabalance. 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘GYM BODS!!’ is closed to new replies.