Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • GXP bottom brackets
  • andyl
    Free Member

Normal threaded BB. Always had shimano cranks so all I am aware of is horror stories about SRAM ones but are they all bad?

Someone potentially has a Truvativ for me and seen a Truvativ “Team” at halfords but no idea what is safe out of the SRAM ones and which to avoid.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I fitted a hope with the adapter 4 1/2 years ago. Never touched it since.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The best think about GXP is that Madison do a GXP repair pack with just the bearings in it. No need to buy new cups, and one cup is functionally the same as another anyway. Just pop new bearings in your old cups.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Correction, it’s Wheels Manufacturing distributed by Madison

http://wheelsmfg.com/22mm-gxp-angular-contact-bb-repair-pack.html

andyl
    Free Member

Cheers, $45 to repair it though! My XTR BBs cost less than £15 and yet to kill one. Impulse buy of some XO carbon cranks last night as I was fed up waiting for wiggle to get the RaceFace Aeffect ones back in stock. Only to get a stock alert from wiggle this morning that they are back stock. 🙄

At least the hope one would work with my shimano cranks. Any problems with the adapter?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have had no problems, lifespan in years so what’s not to like.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£20rrp in the U.K. I think. I know it’s cheaper than a GXP Team BB

hatter

I can heartily recommend the Wheels MFG GXP units, had one in my full suss for about 2 years now, ridden in some horrific conditions and still running smoothly.

Wheels stuff in general is very underrated IMHO.

5lab

a lot of folk complain about relatively short life, but in my experience a lot of them aren’t done up tight enough. The end bolt doesn’t preload the bearings (they’re not loaded at all), its clamping the inner race of one of the bearings tight. So basically, you have to do it up bloody hard – I’m not exaggerating when I say its ‘most of your weight on an 8mm allen key hard’.

I’ve had a good few years life out of them on two of my bikes, wouldn’t have an issue in buying the same system again

spursn17
    Free Member

Cheap as chips and got GXP on 4 bikes.
    It’s important to torque them up correctly though, too tight will severely shorten their life span, 54nm and you’ll have no trouble.

Northwind

Gusset do a Truvativ compatible. I’ve not used it myself but their Shimano compatible is very good. Sealing on every truvativ/sram BB I’ve used has been pathetic so it can only possibly be an upgrade, and they cost about the same

andyl
    Free Member

I do find the way they fit a bit odd as I am used to pre-loading bearings at either end of a shaft but the way I understand sram is you clamp up the axle and arm on the NDS bearing and the axle is free to float in the DS axle. Any side loading from your pedalling is then taken by the NDS bearing only and in both directions.

That said I don’t know if there is much in the way of side loads to worry a single bearing.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Prefer them to Shimano BBs TBH. They last longer and don’t creak like **** when they’re on their way out. Also very easy to remove the bearing seals, flush them out and put fresh grease in which gives them a new lease of life.

You can usually buy GXP BBs off ebay for less than £20

joebristol

My Gxp on the full suss is really gritty after 1.5 years. No idea how long bb’s should last though.

Luckily it coincided with me going 1×10 so the Sram 1000 crank was no good anyway as 120 bcd.

Poopscoop

Fitted one recently out of principle to a Marin I’m completely rebuilding. Old one was fine but have changed every bearing on the bike.
    The new one (fitted to the exact specs from sram, used a torque wrench etc) feels “gritty”after only 2 short rides!
    The old one was as smooth as butter still…

A moral in there somewhere? ! Lol

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Not massively different to Shimano in my experience, although a little more pricey…

matt_outandabout

I found I went through them more quickly than Shimano – from a couple of months to best part of a year maximum, even with a grease refresh.
    I was going to replace with Hope unit but as I removing the Truvative cranks to replace, I find the axle had snapped (!).
    Bought Shimano, I run whatever BB is cheap in sales, and tend to get a year or more out of cheaper bb’s.

sq225917
    Free Member

I find them not as good out of the box but if you fully pack them before you fit one and then slavver the inside of the plastic shield in grease they seem to last just as well. I recently stripped and repacked one that I had ridden submerged for a hundred yards and left wet thereafter. It was grinchy and noisy as hell. after a double flush and repack its perfect.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘GXP bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.