Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 193 total)
  • Guy Martin doing Great Divide race?
  • Bustaspoke
    Free Member

He’s not doing next years TT as it clashes with the Great Divide race..
    http://www.morebikes.co.uk/guy-martin-to-miss-2016-tt-race-for-mountain-bike-event-instead/

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

that would be very cool. hope he does, the publicity would be good UK-side and having ridden the route I’d be interested in seeing what he thinks.

allthepies
    Free Member

Is his biking partner in crime from these here parts in too ?

GregMay
    Free Member

(pedantmoment)

Great Divide (GDMBR) starts at the US border.

Tour Divide (TD) starts in Banff, Canada.

(/pedantmoment)

Will see him there, and A another from this parish. Assuming timelines cross. ITT pre Grand Depart planned for June for me.

qwerty
    Free Member

What Orange for TDR? Clockwork 100 or will they rustle up something Strange?

natrix
    Free Member

Great quote from Guy

100% these things are not happening, because these things are happening.

barffy
    Free Member

He did the cat and Fiddle ride a few weeks ago in Stoke. We only got a glimpse of him, he set off with the very first riders and didn’t stick around long. I think in typical Guy style he has no interest in being a public figure or celebrity which is why we all like him so much.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, I like that idea.

As ever it’ll be supported by Tea. Can you get Tea over there?

AlexSimon

Wasn’t he nearly dead a few weeks ago?
    Bonkers.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What Orange for TDR?

Rourke in Stoke have just built him a custom 29er.

Granted, probably not for that, mind..

damascus
    Free Member

I wonder how many hope stickers he will have on his bike and kit this time?

terrahawk
    Free Member

we’ve been making a plan.

he might reveal more on the On Show tonight or on the R2 brekky show tomorrow.

jekkyl

So it looks like Guy has confirmed he is going to be riding the tour divide, several cycling websites and news sites have confirmed.
    Terrahawk, your use of the word ‘we’re’ suggests you’ll be alongside him? with TV camera’s filming? I only know Guy from his spots on TV but I’m guessing just winning won’t be enough, going for the record?

trail_rat
    Free Member

how many tea bags can you get in a revelate vischacha…..

miketually
    Free Member

Nevermind Guy, minipips is doing it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

there wont be any cyclists left in england……

tomhoward

It’s OK, I’ll stay…

iain1775
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member

It’s OK, I’ll stay…

[/quote]

I’m happy to take one for the team as well
    Obviously I would much rather be joining everyone else on the TD but needs must

wwaswas

we’ve been making a plan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it going to be a two horse tandem race…..

guy and jase vs tom and rich…….

this could be painful….

wwaswas

a two horse tandem race

OOoh, fancy dress.

scandal42
    Free Member

Look at the tail, a disaster in waiting is that.

wwaswas

a disaster in waiting is that.

I’m sure they could splice on a new one – Guy likes a bit of a graft

molgrips
    Free Member

Does anyone think he can win?

jameso

^ Why not. I doubt many would have had a tenner on Josh Kato this year. Good things can happen in the time between now and June if he works hard.

(edit to add, I doubt that’s his aim but who knows)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be surprised and impressed if he could become an ultra endurance winner in 6 months. Ok so he’s a handy rider, but these people are more than just good riders.

trail_rat
    Free Member

there speaks the voice of experiance i guess molly ?

Guy is driven – he also has more than an inclin of what it takes to be an endurance rider with a number of 24 hour rides under his belt – although this is a totally different kettle of fish- i do believe he is unhinged enough that if he decided he wanted to he would give it a good shot.

It wouldnt surprise me.

molgrips
    Free Member

24 hour racing is nothing like the TDR though I think.

I’d expect a podium, but not a win. Then again it depends who else turns up as it’s not exactly a big field at the top.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And equally it’s not really a pro field either, so he’s probably got more free time for training than most.

jameso

edited, just speculation and punditry : )

jekkyl

I’d question their ability to podium if on a tandem (if indeed that is the plan) don’t you think? would cycling as a pair on a tandem increase or decrease your chances of winning? I can see arguments for both, marginally less weight than 2 bikes, can share a tent and supplies but then you might be dragging round someone more tired than you or if one person falls ill.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Guy Martin is aleardy one hell of an endurance rider. He’ll be absolutely fine and it wouldn’t surprise me if he does really well in it.

One thing that has popped up in this thread that is of questionable wisdom is a young boy doing it. Hopefully he’s taking the entire summer holiday and not trying to do silly mileage in a day.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Who said we’re riding a tandem?

jekkyl

Nobody did Jase, wasnotwas was guessing. Now you’re here, what’s the plan? spill it. 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not necessarily aimed at this thread but it always amazes me just how big a hard on straight men get for Guy Martin! 😆

I’ve had a few messages on Facebook from motorbikerist friends asking me “WTF would Guy want to race a silly bike race instead of do the TT?” (I must be the only cyclist they know……)

BadlyWiredDog

One thing that has popped up in this thread that is of questionable wisdom is a young boy doing it. Hopefully he’s taking the entire summer holiday and not trying to do silly mileage in a day.

I heard he was doing it solo on a unicycle, powered only by a packet of Haribo and aiming not to stop at all and that he can only afford a one-way ticket to the States on a tramp steamer. Will no-one thing of the children – apart from you obviously. 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

Then again I didn’t say we’re not riding a tandem either…
    …..

tomhoward

But you are riding?

hofnar
    Free Member

Multi day to 24 hour is so much different. 24 hour is about sleep deprivation and decent speed. Multi day is about sleep deprivation and recovery, speed is not that important. I spend a fair part of june racing a mtb across southern africa its the old men who feature cos they can just keep going. Takes a special kind of idiot to sleep only 2-3 hours a day for 10 days. I had nice long sleeps thats why my youg bones trailed the winner by over a week.

miketually
    Free Member

Then again I didn’t say we’re not riding a tandem either…

Pedal car! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin doing Great Divide race?’ is closed to new replies.