• This topic has 62 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mt.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Guy Martin crash
  • Fudd
    Free Member

He’s a very lucky boy. The reason for the muddy patch is because they removed the hedge following Dean Harrison’s crash there last year –

[video]https://youtu.be/kWIXaceeoLY[/video]

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you mean the rest are lucky?

surely the hedge stopped Harrison sliding into the field at 100mph? but then bumped him/bike back into the road causing others to crash? hence the removal of the hedge and Guy’s injuries being worse?

Among Harrison’s injuries were a broken wrist, a dislocated shoulder and four broken ribs.

Fudd
    Free Member

No, I was referring to GM. Given the choice between sliding into an open field at 120 or getting tangled up in a hedge and potentially getting thrown into the path of another bike doing 120, I’ll take the field every time, as I’m sure every one of the competitors there would.

As for comparing the injuries, I’m missing the point. Surely you know that no two crashes are the same? Some people get killed riding a moped and others walk away after getting off at 180… Unless you are implying that the removal of the hedge has made that corner more dangerous…?

womble72
    Free Member

Horrific crash but the marshal taking a face plant kinda takes the edge off it.

hora
    Free Member

Ouch. 😯

badnewz
    Free Member

Horrific crash but the marshal taking a face plant kinda takes the edge off it.

I couldn’t help but think of the Benny Hill music when watching the marshals.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Great video sv, watched the whole thing. Great speaker and a shame to find he’s no longer here.

jamj1974

I don’t think laughing at the marshals faceplant is on really. He’s running as fast as he can in the conditions to go to someone else’s aid in a true emergency situation. Fair play to him for thinking of the rider before himself.

hora
    Free Member

Was Guy unconcious or just keeping still? Not nice seeing him prone like that.

zippykona

That video makes me realise what a dry summer we’ve had down sowf.

scotroutes

Had to be done

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ60sT9tXQ[/video]

badnewz
    Free Member

He’s running as fast as he can in the conditions to go to someone else’s aid in a true emergency situation. Fair play to him for thinking of the rider before himself.

On the issue of marshals, I’ve always found the argument made by road racers along the lines of “It’s our lives, we should be allowed to do what we want, so go mow your lawn,” somewhat invalidated when marshals get injured or killed, as has happened in recent years on the Island.

jimjam
    Free Member

badnewz

On the issue of marshals, I’ve always found the argument made by road racers along the lines of “It’s our lives, we should be allowed to do what we want, so go mow your lawn,” somewhat invalidated when marshals get injured or killed, as has happened in recent years on the Island.

I think road racing is on a knife edge in terms of fatalities. I think it’s amazing that there have been so few deaths in recent years. If they get a bad year or two the public appetite for it, tv coverage and sponsorship could take a nose dive. No one wants to see death or carnage and these boys are a whisker away from it at any moment.

Edukator
    Free Member

No one wants to see death or carnage

I think they do actually. YouTube hits on videos of death and carnage are higher than videos of people getting it right. When rallying a high density of spectators was a good reason to take a safer line even if it cost a little speed.

I typed “Nikki Lauda” into the video search. No prizes for guessing which vid has over six million views. The level of involvement of Red Bull in a sport is a good indicator as to its potential for death and carnage.

kilo

somewhat invalidated when marshals get injured or killed, as has happened in recent years on the Island.

The last marshall killed in a tt crash iirc was in the Gus Scott fatality and I believe the coroner held her to be significantly at fault for Scott’s death

reedspeed
    Free Member

kilo ,wasn’t there one in 2007 @ joey’s ??,either way I hear what you’re saying !.

badnewz
    Free Member

Two spectators were killed in 2007, I think the last marshal to die was in 2006, grim statistics but the point I’m making is as a rider you can’t use the argument that it’s only your own life you are putting at risk.

shifter
    Free Member

Get well soon Guy

scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33838095

A rider has been killed during a race at the Ulster Grand Prix.
    It happened on Saturday afternoon during the second Supersport race on the Dundrod circuit.
    In a statement, the Dundrod and District Motorcycle Club described the incident as “tragic” and said no further information would be released at the moment.
    They said the rider’s family told event organisers they wished the remainder of the event to continue as planned.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Top post Weeksy 🙂 high siding a bike isn’t that unusual, just another example where pushing the limits in a car is a lot safer than on a bike. A car slide out then snaps back, with the bike you get ejected

Healing vibes to Guy, any vertebrate injury can be very serious

sv

Great video sv, watched the whole thing. Great speaker and a shame to find he’s no longer here.

Yes very sad and ironic that he died whilst ‘on duty’. Hopefully an air ambulance can be funded here in Northern Ireland in his memory, Delta 7 being his call sign and possibly the new chopper too.

sramtechscott
    Free Member

mt
    Free Member

sv – thanks for posting the Dr John thing, really good if a little sad.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin crash’ is closed to new replies.