Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Guy Martin completes Tour Divide
  • ollybus
    Free Member

‘Guy has completed the 2016 Tour Divide in 18 days & 6 hours – describing it as “toughest thing I’ve ever done – bloody brilliant. 2,712 mls 185,000 ft climbing, brutal.’ From Twitter

steezysix
    Free Member

Kudos to him, but technically hasn’t he done the GDMBR rather the Tour Divide? Genuine question, not knocking his achievement! My understanding is that the TD is the race route everybody else has been following, whereas he’s been taking a different one?

Clobber
    Free Member

I think the route is the same, all do the GDMBR but there is also an annual race

aracer
    Free Member

I think the technical point being made is that he hasn’t exactly followed the race route.

chubstr
    Free Member

2,712 mls 185,000 ft climbing

I don’t care what he’s done, all i know is that I didn’t acheive that^

So well done Guy

brant
    Free Member

Tough crowd

tails
    Free Member

Is there a set time you have to do it in, that’s about 150 miles a day. 😯

tpbiker
    Free Member

Tough crowd

🙂

beefheart
    Free Member

Not bad for a motorcyclist.

smell_it
    Free Member

Awesome riding, whatever route, my hat’s off to him.

bigrich

how many laps of the trail center of choice for the average STW hero is that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looking at his tracking I can’t see anywhere he went off route apart from some GPS straight lining and a trip into Albuquerque

steve_b77
    Free Member

I didn’t think he was doing it, there was this guy called Terry Smith doing an ITT though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Guy has completed the Tour Divide 2016. 18 Days and 6 hours."Toughest thing I've ever done, bloody brilliant. 2,712 miles, 185,000 ft climbing, brutal." (Guy Martin) Photo: http://www.guymartinproper.com

Posted by Guy Martin on Thursday, June 30, 2016

qwerty
    Free Member

I think Guy Martin & Terry Smith rode the route together.

acidtest
    Free Member

Mega

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looking at his tracking I can’t see anywhere he went off route apart from some GPS straight lining and a trip into Albuquerque

If you zoom in at certain points you can see he’s taken the wrong valley, or a road rather than a trail etc. Apparently he was following a 2011 route book.

So no, not strictly the TD, or even the GD route, but still one hell of an achievement and the deviations weren’t enough to really call it cheating as he’s only racing himself.

brant – Member
    Tough crowd

+1 Give the man a break!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

On this subject, I enjoyed reading this

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 to John Metcalfe book, very good

molgrips
    Free Member

how many laps of the trail center of choice for the average STW hero is that?

In distance terms it’s equivalent to about 280 laps of Cwmcarn, however that would be more climbing at 277,000ft.

Looks like most trail centres have more climbing per mile on average, as do the South Downs way and Trans Cambrian way. Need to find something without about 20m/mile to compare exactly.

Not aiming to diminish the achievement obv, I was just looking for something I could the TD was roughly equivalent to stupid number of laps/reps of.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin completes Tour Divide’ is closed to new replies.