• This topic has 102 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Guns again – Oscar Pistorius
  • tutgareth
    Free Member

oh dear,

stumpy01

Terrible news if true. They are all over it on BBC news.

JRTG
    Free Member

Not good but then in SA, you kind of need one especially if you live on a farm. Lots of farmers hacked to death even elderly ones in simple robberies. Of course there is more to the issue however I don’t think the guns in this case are the main problem.

piemonster

Terrible thing to live with, cant even begin to imagine it.

Nor do I want to.

titusrider
    Free Member

Feel for the guy, that would mess me up

atlaz
    Free Member

People seem to find it suspicious that he had the gun close to hand. Everywhere I know where people own guns for self/home defence they’re always to hand, otherwise there’s little point. Tragic incident.

Mackem

Not sure how you’d mistake your girlfriend for a burglar mind.

piemonster

Not sure how you’d mistake your girlfriend for a burglar mind.

The rather rash assumption on the news suggests she was trying to surprise him for valentines day.

That (if true) coupled with SA’s burglary rates.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Shoot first ask who it is later?
    Tragic and odd.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shoot first ask who it is later?
    Tragic and odd.

It is. Agreed. I have a mate from SA and the stories he tells are blood chilling. He’s been shot twice. He doesn’t want to go back again.

atlaz
    Free Member

Depends really as there’s no info. If she didn’t live with him and was sneaking in early morning to surprise him (i.e. he was not expecting her), it might be an easy mistake to make.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

This is shocking. I feel as if I know him having watched him competing for years.

granny_ring

Just seen that, pretty grim…..

vinnyeh

Man in bed, no legs, can’t run, can’t hide, only one viable way to defend himself- I’m damned sure the gun wouldn’t be in the drawers on the other side of the room if it was me.

Tragic.

piemonster

Depends really as there’s no info. If she didn’t live with him and was sneaking in early morning to surprise him (i.e. he was not expecting her), it might be an easy mistake to make.

From what I heard he lives in a secure residential compound, fenced, armed patrols. And she was sneaking in.

Prepared to be corrected though.

duckman

I have a Saffer mate, he was explaining traffic light protocol in even supposed safe towns, slow down,don’t stop.

mtbfix

My Mrs. recounts a story from her youth in SA where she had returned home from a night out when she was not expected home. She was met in the kitchen by her dad pointing a gun at her. Fortunately she had turned the lights on. The other stories she tells do not incline me to even visit the place, frankly.

IHN

They are all over it on BBC news

Except they don’t actually know anything, other than a 26 year old man has been arrested at Oscar Pistorius’ house, where a woman has been found shot dead and a gun recovered.

That’s not stopping any of the irritating speculation that is the highlight of rolling news however…

Buzzard
    Free Member

Dont want to spread rumour but much more to this story than meets the eye.
    http://www.wonted.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3414:tshiamo&catid=925:tune-news
    plenty of details on the interweb if anyone is interested

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ive found myself in a strange kitchen in my boxers at the end of a gun explaining to the father of a lady friend why a strange man was in his house in his boxers raiding the fridge at 3am. To be fair he took it quite well considering

IHN

Dont want to spread rumour

Yet you still have… Classy.

phil.w
    Free Member

much more to this story than meets the eye, plenty of details on the interweb if anyone is interested

I’m at a loss as to how a story about Pistorius and an 18 year old (ex?)girlfriend have anything to do with the 30 year old (current girlfriend?) that was shot?

care to explain…

Buzzard
    Free Member

Not really spreading rumour am I – merely showing those that are interested that this story has some history to it. Had I provided my malicious opinion of what I think actually happened (4 shots included two to the head!?!!?!?!?) – then you might well have had a point.

Speshpaul

“Buzzard – Member
    Dont want to spread rumours”

to be fair thats a pretty cheap shot.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Radio reporting one shot to arm one to head – where did the 2 head shots and the other 2 shots come from?

binners

Its surely the inevitable consequence of living in a completely divided society where the well off live behind walled estates with private security, and the dirt poor gaze in enviously. Its a tragic and sad story in so many respects

IHN

Not really spreading rumour am I

By linking to a story that may or may not be related, but implying that it is? No, of course you’re not

Had I provided my malicious opinion of what I think actually happened (4 shots included two to the head!?!!?!?!?)

There you go again, not spreading rumour

then you might well have had a point.

no ‘might’ about it.

Buzzard
    Free Member

PS – whatever happened this is a terrible story and a mother/father have lost their daughter in horrendous circumstances.

but since I was asked to explain. apparently the 18yr old and the 30yr old didnt know about each other. Cue massive public rows, crashed cars, broken house windows, alleged assaults etc etc. But as I said this may be nothing to do with that and merely an accident. Until the investigation is complete we just won’t know – an even then we may not know.

Buzzard
    Free Member

OK – fair point. I perhaps wrongly have opened a can of worms and perhaps to some degree accept the ire with which that was treated. I will get my coat and retire from this one until more is known.

My knowledge or perhaps lack thereof on this topic is hearsay at best from one of his neighbours.

IHN

I can see which way this is headed. I’m out.

BigJohn

He hasn’t got a leg to stand on.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    I can see which way this is headed. I’m out.

And Buzz Killington exits stage left.

IHN

*stifles giggle*

EDIT – DD, eh? That’s a bit harsh.

patriotpro
    Free Member

One of my closest mates as a kid came over from SA when he was 7, basically they feared for their lives as his Dad had a good job which meant they were well off.

It must be one of the few places on Earth where on police advice you are told not to stop if you run someone over but to carry on and report it once you are well away from the scene of the accident. Basically if you DID stop and more specifically were white, you would have been hacked to a dog-meat like state within seconds.

And Nelson’s hailed as a hero for creating this legacy…Awesome work.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Very sad if reports are accurate. Hopefully not, but doesn’t sound good.

IHN

It must be one of the few places on Earth where on police advice you are told not to stop if you run someone over but to carry on and report it once you are well away from the scene of the accident. Basically if you DID stop and more specifically were white, you would have been hacked to a dog-meat like state within seconds.

That has a whiff of urban myth about it.

Having been to SA, and knowing others who live in SA, and others who’ve moved from SA, the country has problems, absolutely, but a lot of the ‘going to hell in a handcart’ stories come from bitter whites who are having a hard time adjusting to the fact that they can no longer boss around the black majority purely because of the colours of their respective skins.

IME, and as a very broad generalisation, the ‘blacks’ were friendly and welcoming, the ‘whites’ were diffident and rude. It’s an odd country, and I’m not sure I liked it

footflaps

We have an office in J’burg. Every single member of staff and most customers I’ve talked to have been held up, shot at, robbed at gun point in their home or car jacked. One of our female sales people came home to find her husband tied up and a gang of robbers holding a gun to her 6 year olds head – the maid had let the robbers in as they’d threatened to kill her if she didn’t.

joao3v16
    Free Member

My knowledge or perhaps lack thereof on this topic is hearsay at best

So, no worse than the BBC “coverage”

That’s the problem with 24hr news channels – most of the reporting becomes speculation and opinion …

wwaswas

Woman on R4 was talking about a bloke who saw someone in his car, fired at them and killed them only to find his daughter had gone back to the car as she’d left something in there.

I can’t imagine living with that level of fear/paranoia and ‘shoot first’ attitude. Makes a lot of American gun advocates seem quite level headed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Guns again – Oscar Pistorius’ is closed to new replies.