Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Guitarists: Modelling amp vs Valve amp
  • Tinners

Are these digital modelling amps any good? Been using a practice amp for years and time to upgrade. Only have a Cry Baby effects pedal and nil else. Quite like the look of the new Marshall Code 50amp modelling amp. Worth paying a bit more for a second hand valve amp? Not tried a Code yet (not in shops yet but seen demo’d on Andertons YouTube channel) but would want to demo myself first. Will connect to a Gibson 335 style semi hollow body guitar.
    I’m guessing valve amp better, just how much better and worth the added cost (home use only. Nobody would pay to hear me….)

deejayen
    Free Member

It might depend on what style you play, and at what volume. I play clean, and I don’t have to worry about neighbours, so I’m extremely happy with my Fender valve amp. In fact, I think it’s the one purchase I’ve never regretted. However, it’s far too loud (22W) to play in the same room when it’s cranked up.

Also, valve amps often have fewer features than modelling amps (mine doesn’t have an effects loop or headphone out etc.)

Another option might be to get something like a Tech 21 FlyRig pedal (analogue pedal with amp simulator, overdrive, reverb and delay) and connect it to a non-coloured amp or studio monitors. Some of the demos sound really good, and I’ve been thinking about buying one for when the valve amp isn’t convenient.

Tinners

Thanks deejayen

jimbobo
    Free Member

Modelling amp. For what you’re using it for it will be perfect. Valves are over rated!

I use a 1978 Marshall 2203 live, it sounds awesome, its 100w so you can hear it on the moon. Its delicate, its worth a lot of money, it weighs a ton. All that great tone is lost as soon as I plug pedals in anyway! I use a marshall AVT150 head for my home studio, the volume is really controlable (from whisper to yell and 10 points inbetween). the built in FX are surprisingly good (mostly just use a bit of reverb, but its nice enough). I also have an early 90s fender Princeton 65. Solid state amp. Amazing clean sound and smooth tone for when I’m doing my jazz thang!

The quality of digital effects now is so high, a modelling amp is perfect for everything but playing live, and I only wouldn’t play one live as I don’t like fiddling with knobs on stage (unless its amsterdam).

My old guitar teacher preferred his fender mustang to his fender twin, it was easy, pratical, light and sounded good.

There’s a lot to be said for tubes, but mostly its just guitar mojo nonsense that has little application to 99% of players. I love my marshall head, but when the time comes to replace it, I’d probably get something smaller and DL to the PA anyway!

CaptainSlow

I’ve got valve amps that sound great at lower volumes and have features like reverb, headphones, line out, USB out, low power mode and midi etc. What they won’t do is sound like 10 or more different amps.
    I’ve also got a Kemper profiling amp and have owned a few lower end modellers.

What sounds are you after?
    What’s your budget?

Edukator
    Free Member

I use Fender Mustangs of various sizes. The II can be carried around, the III can be carried to the buss stop and the VI head combined with a cab loaded with Vintage 30s is properly loud.

I like being able to switch through presaved settings that mean you can go from folky to metal in a click of the footswitch. The sound isn’t quite as “warm” as a valve amp but is consistent through the volume range. You can drop it and it will still xork. The Fender sounds are pretty good, the 57 deluxe and bassman settings really sound the part. Other setting are more generic, I like the British Watts (Hi-Watt sound) and 60s (VoX AC 30 sound) but find the Marshal sounds a bit too overdriven. The Metal 2000 setting is really fat which does the palm mute thud really well.

The pedal simulators work pretty well, the compressor compresses and the flanger flanges.

Unless you spend most of your time playing clean and/or very loud a valve amp is bit limited.

The guitar parts on this vid were recorded using a Mustang IV and a singe-coil Telecaster (rather than the pretty silver back top Tele in the vid). Mixology

holmes81
    Free Member

I’m a valve fan myself, have a small 5W practice amp. Which goes loud enough for home use.

What’s your budget? (Cap Slow beat me to it!)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Depends on style and budget really I guess….and useage. I gig with a 25w Valve amp, and it’s mental loud! 5w tops for a valve amp if it’s for home use!

IMO modelling stuff still sounds awful when copying fender twins, bassmans etc

Edukator
    Free Member

You need to be more specific Tom. The The 57 Twin model by Vox isn’t great but the Fender one is – there are comparitives on Youtube to prove it (type “Fender Mustang IV versus twin” into the search). The Bassman model on my Vox is poor too but the AC 15 model is OK.

For example

A tiny Vox trying to model an 80s Marshal stack, most amusing

edhornby

Take your guitar and try out as much as you can , there is no substitute for your ears. Be nice to the guitar shops, they’re like your lbs 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

IME it’s a guitar amp combo that makes the difference, sg2000 + 100w marshall (low master pre amp @11) and no pedals biblical sound… fender strat with the same *mleh* adding pedals doesn’t improve the sound over any other amp losing most of the “warmth”.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Yes they are good, very good, if they give you what you want…

If you want a nice clean sound on the edge of breakup, that you can push into overdrive with your vol knob or with more pick attack – then a valve amp with 6l6’s. Or metal pick a metal amp etc.

If you’re not sure, then a modelling amp will get very close to at least 10 classic amps and sound very very good.

Personally modellers sound too perfect to me, but could I really tell in a blind test, probably not if comparable amps.

Guitar is so much about feel than facts, valves feel right and what you expect when you play. That’s why valve is king still, not facts – certainly for home use. And if you really know an amp, a modelling amp won’t match it, because it won’t, but will get close enough if you’ve never owned one.

If you like the sound, get a modelling amp, if it doesn’t valve it.

Personally I’m a valve fan, main amp is a Vic v30, which in single ended mode is quiet enough for home use. But I know my head makes valve sound better – I dreamed of a valve amp from the age of ten, so once I could afford one I’d never turn back… No need for a rad in the room I play, so really it pays for itself, in a complete man maths way

control67
    Free Member

I am a valve fan for playing live, there’s something about the breakup of a nice old valve amp that just can’t be modelled properly. For general practice though, modelling works just fine. I have a 70s Traynor running old mullards that is the sweetest sounding amp I’ve owned, a fender champ 600 and an old Roland Bolt hybrid, all of these sound great in their own ways and the Traynor loves a bit of fuzz. For just plugging in and playing though I run a Line 6 pod XT live through GarageBand and although it gets close its not quite there.

Tinners

Thanks chaps. Been out on bike and just got in (hence delay). Budget is less than £600 but the Marshall Code seems stunningly good value (with the proviso that I haven’t heard it in the flesh yet!). I’m planning on taking my guitar to local dealers and getting a play. Reason I ask, I guess, is that when I was looking for a HiFi many many years ago, I ended up (after doing the various superstores) in the local BADA dealer and completely smashing my budget with a valve amp for the HiFi which, even now, 20+ years later sounds incredible to me and I have a hunch it may be the same with guitar. I was just wondering whether digital modelling amps have come on to be a close match. Code appealed because it seemed to offer a lot for the money (without having to splash out on pedals). Some great advice so far. Much appreciated. Keep it coming.

Tinners

PS the Code doesn’t seem to be out yet, hence why I was getting a few opinions first.

deejayen
    Free Member

Yes, if you can hear the difference I think it’s worth splashing out on something which sounds special. The amp can add so much to your tone and playing that it’s like an instrument in its own right.

Personally, I never playing anything like my best when trying out gear in a music shop, and you do need a bit of confidence to hear a valve amp at its best.

I paid around £500 for my amp about 15 years ago, and they’re now about £1200 new. It’s given me so much pleasure over the years, and I still marvel at what it does.

You do need to find something which works for you, though. I tried a few amps at the time (and since) end even from the same manufacturer, and although they were okay, when I plugged into mine it was amazing. However, over the years I’ve read about many other owners who end up modifying them with different speakers and circuit board changes in order to alter their tone, which just goes to prove that we aren’t all the same.

For me, it’s the same with effects. I just find that quality analogue and valve-based effects can sound better than many digital ones – they tend to add a little something.

Having said that, I can see the attraction of modeling gear. I messed around with the Two Notes speaker simulation software, and that seems really good. The Atomic Amps Amplifire pedal is based on that, and supposed to be really good. That sort of thing is good for versatility, and for repeatable tones in the studio or on stage, but I prefer the simplicity of a valve amp – I usually get one tone which works for me, and rarely fiddle with it.

Tinners

Just picking up on this. MrsT has bought a Marshall Code 50 for me and after 24hrs constant playing, I love it. The phone app works well to adjust settings. Sounds great. Only downside is that if you’re playing along to tracks, the music plays better through a different source (eg Sonos) rather than streaming through amp. Sounds great in theory, but sounds garbled in practice and getting music:guitar sound ratio correct takes a lot more fiddling. If you’re looking for a home practice amp, I’d recommend and it’s a steal at the price.

Northwind

Mine is a bit of both, Vox AD60 with a modelling preamp and half a valve power amp. TBH the modelling is prehistoric but it still has a good bag of great sounds and a big bag of adequate ones.

For me volume is a big deal, I had an old Trace Elliot speed twin all-valve head and 4×12 for a while and it was glorious when I could really let it go, but that was rarely. I don’t like playing with headphones though so software-only doesn’t cut it, and PC speakers are just an insult to a good guitar…

durhambiker
    Free Member

I’ve been doing all my playing recently using free plugins (LePou’s amp sims, mainly the Marshall and Engl models, along with the TSE808 Tube Screamer sim, cabinet impulses and various reverts, delays etc) and been loving it. However I’m hoping to go and have a try on a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe over the next week or two. Full tube amp head, with built in digital effects and everything apart from master volume is midi controllable.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Glad you like the Code 50. I have to say in all the YouTube demos I’ve heard of it, especially the Guitar Interactive one it sounded like a POS. I was going to suggest you try a Boss Katana.

I don’t have an amp right now and I’m using Bias FX amp sim which is IMHO the best of the PC sims.

If I ever go for a stand alone unit again I’ll go the modelling route with something like a Helix or Amplifire or AX8 or maybe a Kemper.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Got a wee black star Id core amp for the living room and amplitube3 for the computer. Modelling is great these days, as far as o can tell. Keeps me entertained anyhow.

For living room purposes more than I need and I’m happy with them. I don’t really have any valve or gig experience to compare to though, so make of that what you will.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Also do you really need 50watts? I could probably wake the neighbours 3 closes down with the wee 10 watt black star effort! 😆

CaptainSlow

Congrats on the new amp Tinners 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

I could never use a proper valve amp to its potential (small baby, semi-detached house) and valve amps only really come to life at medium-high volumes. In fact, I’d say that at the volumes I use, a valve amp is not only overkill, it’s also worse- sounding than a model.

I’ve had good luck with a line6 POD and more recently JamUP via the iPhone (adaptor required). The sound is great, and if course very versatile. There are plenty of people recording and performing with this stuff – the tech is now at a level where it’s pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing for most uses. If you haven’t tried a modelling processor in the last 5 years you’ll be surprised.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists: Modelling amp vs Valve amp’ is closed to new replies.