Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Guitar strings – Light or medium and Phosphor bronze?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Just snapped my (small) e-string again, and fancy some new strings for my acoustic. I have previously been using light gauge strings and was wondering if I should try medium? I heard they may be a little more difficult to play, and that they can cause to much tension in the guitar neck causing damage if you arent careful? I am also still a begginner so dont want to make things more difficult.

I have mainly been using these:

and was wondering if there is anything better, and if it was worth trying some Phosphor Bronze strings? My guitar does sometimes sound a little shrill and winy, but maybe that’s just my playing. Just wondering whether the Phosphor Bronze stings would “warm” it up a bit?

Cheers

jimster
    Free Member

IIRC the only difference between light and medium strings is there is less chance of bending notes accidently. The change in gauge shouldn’t make any difference, the truss rod should be more than up to the job.

Phosphor bronze strings just sound jinglier/janglier(?) imo.

D28boy
    Free Member

Shouldn’t really be breaking strings on an acoustic unless you have mega strong fingers & into massive bends. Where are the breaks occuring? Suggest you check the nut for imperfections & also check the bridge.You would notice a diffrence between med & lights IMHO particularly as a beginner as you will get slightly more tension but also a thicker string off course which is more likely to make your finger sore. I use Martin SP4100 which I find very good.

organic355
    Free Member

Was thinking about going for these:

MrNutt
    Free Member

Elixers are the ONLY strings I’ll use, don’t bother messing around with other brands, they last longer and more importantly sound good for longer, they are around £11 a set but well worth it, seriously try them they come in 9’s 10’s & 11’s (I use the 9’s & 10’s)

brassneck

2nd Elixirs (my finger sweat rots zinc in one gig) but for acoustic stick with at least a 12 as the E – the sound suffers when you go lighter. I have a set of Elixir acoustics in my bag ready to fit as it happens, I always use their electrics and have now got around to trying the acoustic ones – usually use the Martins pictured funnily enough.

You can go up to any gauge without worrying about the neck, it’s your fingers that’ll hurt – they are more difficult to fret and bend. I used to use sets with a .13 as a top E on my Jaguar (for the tone, maaan) and it hurt. Does depend on scale length though – I can get away with a gauge higher on Gibson rather than Fender length electrics.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Elixir 9’s on my Framus (dreadnought) and the top is sweet, I can’t rate those strings high enough, I’ve been using just them for a few years now, I can’t imagine using anything else to be honest!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Guitar strings – Light or medium and Phosphor bronze?’ is closed to new replies.