Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Guess where I’m not going this weekend….
  • Pook

Yeah, I’m like so looking forward to Not Glastonbury. There’s great food at Not Glastonbury, great music, hot showers, clean toilets and a really comfy bed.
    I’ve already got all my stuff together for Not Glastonbury including my beers, my trainers, my clothes and I’ve not packed my rucksack for Not Glastonbury. I’ve also not bought a new tent and everything.
    I can’t wait to get there and enjoy the atmosphere that is Not Glastonbury.

Oh hang on, it’s going to be rammed down my throat for the next four days isn’t it?

(slightly borrowed from the grauniad)

mrsflash
    Free Member

We’ll see you there Pook 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

For years I longed to go to Glasto, now I can’t think of anything worse. Seeing Kasabian at Brixton Academy and Oasis and friends for lairy madness at Wembley next month then home to my own bed.

Moses

Mrs Moses is there stewarding: she really enjoys it, as does my baby brother (50) and his family. It’s too overwhelming for me.

But I’m somewhat stuck as Mrs M has the van, and my daughter stole our car…bikes only for me, this weekend.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I loved Glastonbury when I was little. The bands topping the bill were current, really great bands who we really wanted to see. I was in my teens, and it really felt exciting, the bands playing were our bands, that we wanted to see.

This year, two of the main headliners are in their 60s and the others are in their 40s. Their biggest hits were in the 70s, 80s and 90s. It’s like a heritage festival or something. I’m now 30, and it just feels a bit too old for me, it’d be like going to one of those “top hits of the 80s tours” or some such sadness.

I know it’s not just about the bigger bands playing, but it used to be that you could see a load of great small bands, along with a few bigger bands at the top of their game, whereas now it seems like you can see a load of small bands, and some bands that had big hits 10 or 20 years ago and haven’t really done much since.

Joe

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have been once and quite enjoyed it. I don’t think I could do it now though.

My over-riding memories are of maxing out on super-skunk at 9am then spending the next hour sitting when I wanted to stand, standing when I wanted to lie dow, lying down when I wanted to sit… Then I went looking for Mars bars and Coke (a cola) whilst listening to Fun Lovin’ Criminals.

Ohh and the wonderful experience of feeling a t*rd leave my body followed by a second or so before hearing the splash. By the Monday morning the t*rds were just leaving the body and pushing back from the top of the huge steaming pile of sh*te below.

Ohh joy!

jimster
    Free Member

Did Glasto once – really enjoyed BUT for the loo’s.

Vowed never again!!

Wouldn’t have minded going this year however – would definately take out own chemical loo!!

Stoner
    Free Member
    andrew
    Free Member

How did Half Man Half Biscuit put it?

You call Glastonbury “Glasto”

You’d like to go there one day

When they put up the gun towers

To keep the hippies away

coffeeking
    Free Member

I hate large numbers of people gathered in one spot, while I might enjoy the music and I love camping, I’m fairly sure I’d hate being there! I’m off to the 7 stanes this weekend instead 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Going to hide in the Lakes for the weekend – usable toilets, big campervan bed and more than likely to return with everything I took with me!
    But, I will be listening out for Crazy P whose lead singer I met on the train back from London last night – top girl and good music too!
    As long as I don;t have to see or hear Jo Whiney I shall be ok.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh! Can I come to ‘Not Glastonbury’ please??

A mate of mine was forever trying to persuade us to go, as he does every year. Just coon’t understand why we woon’t want to go, and enjoy the wonderful festival of music that it truly is..

Erm, maybe it’s because we don’t want to have to schlep about in knee-deep mud, have to worry about our tents and stuff getting nicked, catch some nasty bug from the evil toilets, spend extortionate amounts of money on food and booze, in the hope that one or two baynds we might actually enjoy listening to were playing. Having to jostle your way through thousands of others, just to get to a point where you can actually hear something, and be able to see that the acts were actually present, not being beamed live from a studio somewhere.

Oh, and get robbed of charged hundreds of pounds or whatever it is, for the ‘privilege’.

I can’t stand huge crowds, and can’t imagine a much worse experience, tbh.

What a rip-off it’s become. Nice little earner for the Eavis family, but just not worth it, imo, unless you’re being helcoptered in, from a nice hotel several miles away, and have your own private portaloo.

But to all those going, have a great time! 😀

roper
    Free Member

I can’t stand huge crowds, and can’t imagine a much worse experience, tbh

I’d steer clear of that London place if I were you. It’s heaving with bodies. 😯

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Have you ever been to London? There are a surprisingly large number of open spaces, where you won’t encounter vast hoards of other people…

It’s the ‘loads of people crushed into a small space’ thing I don’t like. I can handle it for short periods of time, like on the bus or tube, but for several days? No thanks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am going to Arundel. Hopefully I won’t have to crap in a pit or be surrounded by hippies. But the music is likely to be unexciting. 🙂

Moses

Rude Boy, you are talking through your arse as usual. As is anyone who whinges about the bogs – they’re fine, cleaned every two hours. Much better than most student flats, I reckon. Or they were the last 2 times I’ve been.

If you’re a music fan, you’ll pay about a quid per band. How much do you pay for an equivalent big name at the Dome or wherever, and you’d be just as far away? Plus circus, comedy, poetry, philosophy talks…

I don’t like crowds anymore, but for those that can take it, the place is great. The foods not too extortionate either.

The Eavis family do OK, but they’re not richer than other local farmers. Regard them as CEO’s of a business turning over >£20million, & they’re underpaid. The benefits to charities are huge, millions and millions.

roper
    Free Member

Rude Boy, I lived in London for a number of years and have been to Glastonbury several times. I can confirm they are both over crowded and smell bad.
    😯

RudeBoy
    Free Member

As is anyone who whinges about the bogs – they’re fine, cleaned every two hours.

Yeah, right. Course they are! Can you imagine what they’re like after 1 hour 55 minutes, though???

As for the music, most of the smaller acts play at smaller crustivals, which are often free. I go to all sorts of free/cheap events in That London’s famous London, and can come home after, to my nice warm comfy bed. Comedy, poetry, philosophy, talks? Yup, got all that too, if I want it. Also often free. Saw John Hegley last year at Butterfields; t’was free. Most of the smaller acts are playing Glastonbury for **** all, certainly compared with what the Barely Rolling Stones or whatever past-their-best baynd are getting.

My point is, I can enjoy all of what Glastonbury has to offer, much cloeser to home, much cheaper overall, and in a way that I’m much more comfortable with.

It’s a Swindle!

colnagokid

after years of splashing about in mud, and using portable bogs at mountainbike races, I have no wish to go to G’bury. Ill just watch it on the telly thanks!
    Hope its sunny for them tho

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mate, if you can only find one or two bands you like at Glastonbury, I’d suggest you don’t actually like music.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Mate, if you can only find one or two bands you like at Glastonbury, I’d suggest you don’t actually like music.

I could probbly find far more in London, on an average weekend, tbh. Or, I could stay in, and listen to music in the privacy and comfort of my own home.

And if it’s so great, why aren’t you there?

RichPenny
    Free Member

I could probbly find far more in London, on an average weekend, tbh.

Wrong.

Not there because I’ve just been to a festival, sandwiched between two holidays. Going to the alps next month, then another festival in September. Granny is sold, no more cash.

I’m no Glastonbury evangelist, but I’ve been a few times and had some experiences there. Mind, I do agree with you though. If you don’t like music, crowds or mud, and are generally a miserable bastard, then you shouldn’t go. 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

I used to live in Pilton as a teenager & got free tickets every year. I could see the pyramid stage from my bedroom window. I’d probably never have attended if I had to camp over & do my business in the festival “facilities”, but walking home every evening to a hot shower & a comfy bed was pretty cool 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wrong.

Talk shit. London has praps more music and art venues per square mile, of any place on the planet. Several world-class concert halls, and a plethora of other music venues, ranging from the O2, to little pub back rooms.

I’ve had a look at the Glastonbury line up. Hmm, Lily Allen and East 17? I really am missing out. Although I’m sure there are loads of baynds I’d enjoy, I can just wait until they play in London… 😀

180,000 people at Glasto last year. I’d hazard a guess that more people will be out enjoying music in London this weekend.

Miserable bastard? No, I’ve never been to the Joy that is Glastonbury! 😉

Just someone who sees through all the commercial bullshit, that’s all…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Wrong

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, you are!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Well it was pretty cool in the late 80’s / 90’s when I used to go. Haven’t been back since though as it does rather strike me that it’s gotten a bit “big” and “poppy”.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I know a couple of bods who were at the very first Glastonbury Festicval, 6,000 years ago, or whenever it was.

They stopped going a few years ago, as it was not the festival they knew any more. 🙁

Pook

i’m still not going.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Personally i’d rather go to something more “intimate” than Glasto. You cant beat a nice small venue gig where people are actually there to see the band that you’ve gone there to see, rather than some band and stand half a mile away from the stage and watch on big screens.
    Too many people in one place for my liking too.
    Im with Rudeboy on this one, too much variation on the bill for my musical tastes. To suggest you dont like music because Glasto isn’t your cup of tea is rubbish quite frankly.

pedalhead
    Free Member

1994 I think is was…in a row were the following…Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, Pulp. Talk about a snapshot of British music at the time. You could tell that Radiohead in particular were going to be very very big.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rudeboy, on the bill there are about 50 artists who’d be booking 10k plus size live music venues. There isn’t that many in London.

“Personally i’d rather go to something more “intimate” than Glasto”

There are loads of intimate venues there, the site is huge, it’s not just one big stage you know. And, I still stand by my original point. If you can only find one or two bands aout of 1000+ that you like, then you aren’t a music fan. Madness and the Specials, you’d like to see them wouldn’t you Rudeboy 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

I was going to jump in on the ‘Galsto’s sh*te’ bandwagon but thought I should actually check the line up first
    http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/

Not too shabby really, wouldn’t see all those artists over a long weekend in Ye Olde Londonne Towynne…………

RudeBoy
    Free Member

on the bill there are about 50 artists who’d be booking 10k plus size live music venues

A list of these, please. And popularity does not in any way necessarily mean quality. Bruce Springsteen? Status Quo? Tony Christie???? LOL!

If you can only find one or two bands aout of 1000+ that you like, then you aren’t a music fan. Madness and the Specials, you’d like to see them wouldn’t you Rudeboy

Seen them both. Saw the Specials in the 70s, when they actually were the Specials, not AKA..

As for the headliners; I repeat: only one or two baynds I’d want to see. The rest is just commercial pap, imo. And i’ve said there probbly are other baynds I’d enjoy, I’m not denying that. But I’d probbly get to see them in town, at some point, if I really wanted to.

does not in any way mean I’m not a music fayn. That’s such an ignorant thing to suggest. I just have differing tastes to many of those who’ll be attending Glastonbury. Personally, I’d much prefer going to a Prom at the RAH, with a Camelback of red wine sneaked in, and a couple of plastic cups. I don’t see the Berlin Philharmonic, or the London Symphony Orchestra on the list of baynds at this year’s Glasto…

And seriously, how many baynds/acts are you likely to actually get to enjoy, at Glastonbury, over the 4 days? Taking into account time for sleeping, eating, chilling out, bailing your tent out, going to report theft of your stuff, queuing for toilets, shitting, queuing for food, queing for beer, schlepping from arena to arena?

Just not my cup of tea, I’m afraid. And that I don’t fancy it, and am not jumping up and down with (media generated) excitement, does not in any way make me ‘miserable’, or mean that I’m not a ‘music fayn’.

Keep digging, though. This is getting amusing… 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

I think my reluctance to go to Glastonbury stems from my only other visit to a really big festival, that being V at Chelmsford in 2007. Went with pals from Essex who admitted at the end they were “a little bit ashamed” of their county. Late afternoon on the Saturday there were some proper casualties staggering around, met one guy who had “Lost me drugs mate! Can you help me find them?”.

I know Glastonbury isnt like that, it’s just I really cant be arsed. Hope they all have a good time though.

timber

and for those of us who don’t live in fan-bloody-tastic London, there isn’t that much going on, not in Mid Wales.

Saw people getting on a bus to Glastonbury from Bristol yeterday, picture this, a school double decker with say 80 seats, 80 passengers, each passenger has a rucksack and armfuls of crap, a few little slit windows that open and what, about a 2 hour drive, in what will probably be the sunniest, hottest day of their weekend

RudeBoy
    Free Member

wouldn’t see all those artists over a long weekend in Ye Olde Londonne Towynne.

Not those ones, particularly, but an equivalent number, for sure. And more varied.

Point is, it’s a huuuge festival that’s praps a victim of it’s own success, and too big. And not to everyone’s tastes.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not Glastonbury
    leaving in a bout an hour and a half, back on Monday.
    Just me and a motorbike
    woo hoo

Moses

But sold out. Possibly in both meanings of the word, but all tickets taken – so who cares about your opinion. Not the charities for whom it’s run, certainly.

Pook

Not Glastonbury is most certainly Not Sold Out.

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Guess where I’m not going this weekend….’ is closed to new replies.