• This topic has 42 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Ben_H.
Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Gucci Hardtail vs. Sorted full suss as only bike.
  • chiefgrooveguru

Just an FYI – if you get one of the new Bird Zero AM Boost hardtails and have them fit a 130mm fork and a Works -2 deg headset (I posted them the one I bought) you will have an alloy hardtail with almost exactly the same geometry as the BTR – just without the steel feel but some less weight.

And then if you want to get the BTR frame, sell the Zero AM frame and headset and swap everything else across. So it allows you to test the concept of having a hardtail like that as your lone bike and probably the cheapest way to get the BTR built up with nice parts.

ajt123
    Free Member

dumbbot you make a valid point.

Weeksy I think it’s more the hassle or maintenance than the cost.

I just wanna ride and it to work, rather than fettling ad nauseum.

If they didn’t screw up the weight distribution I’d happily go hub gear.

Think I’ll get the BTR and fork out for an Orange for my 40th.

Ben_H

I’ve gone back and forth between hardtails and full sus over the years. I don’t think I could justify more than one MTB at a time.

Earlier this year, I dipped my toe into the full sus waters again with a second hand Transition Scout frame and swapped over the parts from my old Soul. I didn’t set out to buy a used one, but it made the changeover a lot cheaper / lower risk than getting a £1,500+ new frame.

It’s been great to try something different, but I think the newer frame’s geometry and dropper may have made as much impact as the rear bounce. It’s not that the suspension isn’t lovely, but there are other things that are good about it that could be good on another hardtail.

I’ve got a custom road frame coming soon and could certainly see myself with something like the BTR in future. I’d add that the market for a used custom frame is likely to be limited.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Gucci Hardtail vs. Sorted full suss as only bike.’ is closed to new replies.