• This topic has 50 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Guardian today – We Need More Women Bikers article
  • Philby

Well there was a lot of stylishy dressed women on the road ride I went on on Saturday, and also a considerable number at the HONC yesterday. IMHO decent cycling kit looks great on women 😉

I have also noticed a significant increase in the number of women commuting by bike in Bristol, and hopefully the Cycling City money will lead to initiatives to encourage more.

You are always going to get people, both male and female, who will not envisage anything other than using their car for every journey they make no matter how short.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh dear. I fear this thread is about to take a very worrying turn……. 😯

I’m mortally offended that you should choose to term my interest in cross dressing as a wrong turn

😉

juan
    Free Member

(Worm anyone? I appear to have opened a can :wink:)

You mean something like that 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

Big worm or small feet?

I think we more cyclists (men and women).

juan
    Free Member

is size 7 small???

BTW they are mine and it’s some girls shoes 😉

technicallyinept
    Free Member

What cheeses me off is that most cycle clothing, like most women’s sporty clothing is cut for skinny waifs and shops (with the exception of evans – the bike shop people not outsize shop) never seem to stock the largest sizes.

Bunnyhop

Anything that promotes cycling for women in good in my eyes.

The problem with Britain is the weather, it’s not uncommon to have 4 seasons in one day.
    So setting off in your stylish cullottes to the park, may find them flapping around your thighs when the cold shower arrives.
    I personally have always gone for the basic things like staying warm and comfortable ( no centre seams) in the saddle.
    With a rucksack a must for even a short journey to a friends house.

lunge

I haven’t read the article but surely any clothes are fine for cycling short distances? Certianly with a pair of padded shorts on underneath.

I have a g/f who is slowly getting into cycling and it is not the clothing that is stopping her, it is getting knocked off on the road and falling into a pool of mud/bramble bush/large tree.

london_lady
    Free Member

There has been a discussion about this already on roadcyclinguk. As far as I can see most of the cyclodelic stuff is fluorescent bands, belts to hold you bike lock in, bags, caps (which personally I quite like) and raincapes. I don’t have a problem with this as long, as Bunnyhop says, it encourages more ladies to get out on bikes. It isn’t aimed at “sports” riders – more the day-to-day commuter and leisure cyclist. Wear what you feel comfortable in and just get out no matter what type of bike/riding you do.

aP
    Free Member

Commuting cycling isn’t actually terribly dangerous -its all the people telling others that it is.
    Yes, you may have an accident, at some time, but the overall benefits are enormous, and all the weekend warriors on here with completely unrealistic risk appetites don’t help.
    FFS – as long as you can hold a straight line, manage to look over your shoulder without crossing the central white line and find somewhere to safely park your bike at the end you’re pretty much going to be ok.

juan
    Free Member

The problem is more the attitude of brits toward bikes and fashion if you ask me.
    Whereas for one job in france it will be acceptable to wear a jean/docker and a jumper/shirt for the same job, for any obscure reason in the UK you WILL HAVE to wear a suit so that doesn’t help.
    Plus the average brit on car has the same attitudes towards bike that clarkson or the clarkson like I have here 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Guardian today – We Need More Women Bikers article’ is closed to new replies.