Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Guardian Bloke gets sent on a Speed Awareness Course..
  • GrahamS

..and still manages to get morally outraged at the other drivers there.

Somehow I think he’d fit in well here 😀

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/dec/14/drivers-moral-progress-cyclists-speed-awareness

Worth a read.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

What a hypocrite.

allthepies
    Free Member

Presumably he’s taking the piss ?

I spent Monday morning at a speed awareness course, whither I had been dispatched for failing to notice a speed camera on the other side of a dual carriageway.

I thought you attended these things if you broke the law speeding.

and

quiet law-abiding cyclist like me who only rides very slowly through red lights

🙄

pixelmix
    Free Member

spent Monday morning at a speed awareness course, whither I had been dispatched for failing to notice a speed camera on the other side of a dual carriageway

Err, no, you were sent because you were speeding.

Err, “law-abiding”? So RLJing is fine if it is done slowly?

This article just proves the theory that c**** are c**** whatever their mode of transport.

Edit:- great minds think alike clearly allthepies (or fools seldom differ)

Cougar

It’s an interesting read, but I’m really not clear on what his point is.

nedrapier

GOd. high horses?

Is the subtlety of the self-deprecation a bit much for you?

GrahamS

Dear Lord as many people missing irony-detectors here as there are in the comments. I thought we were a more soffistakatet lot here. 😀

The first: “dispatched for failing to notice a speed camera” is a reference to the caption on the main photo: “In a country where the speed cameras are painted bright yellow anyone who fails to notice one is guilty at the very least of driving without proper concentration.”

The second is a deliberate contradiction.

bencooper
    Free Member

Actually, I think his reasoning about why so many drivers hate cyclists is spot on. It’s just not fair that bikes can get about while cars (especially a car which costs a significant portion of your income to keep on the road) get stuck in traffic jams.

nedrapier

Cougar, absolutely. Thought it was interesting read with some interesting observations, but left me waiting for a conclusion

GrahamS

Anyway currently in a argument with someone in the comments who reckons car drivers never go through reds, except “marginal reds”.

And apparently ambers don’t count cos you are “allowed to go through on amber” 🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

Can we apply the “I did it very slowly” defence to other crimes as well?

druidh
    Free Member

+1

Plus – it explains so much of “road rage” towards other car drivers. Folk see a red-light-jumper and immediately think “that’s not fair”. Same goes for folk going up the outside lane before a set of roadworks and cutting in and various other “misdemeanours”.

imnotverygood

I think his point is that the reason why ‘drivers’ hate ‘cyclists’ is not because they disobey the law, but because they get away with it.

imnotverygood

Can we apply the “I did it very slowly” defence to other crimes as well?

He is being tongue in cheek 🙄

pixelmix
    Free Member

Hmm, clearly my irony radar was set incorrectly. Not being familiar with Mr Brown’s writing, I read the article in much the same way as I read ridiculous Daily Wail articles that are linked to from here. 😳

binners

I don’t need to read that. He’s got a head like a lightbulb. That’s quite enough for me to hate him! Bastard!

bencooper
    Free Member

I think his point is that the reason why ‘drivers’ hate ‘cyclists’ is not because they disobey the law, but because they get away with it.

I don’t even think it’s breaking the law. I think your average driver sits in his expensive car in a traffic jam, quietly fuming to himself, sees a cyclist breeze by his wing mirror, and thinks “that bastard, I hate cyclists”

It’s why drivers will desperately try to pass a bike, even if it’s only to get to the next stoppage where the cyclist will immediately pass them again.

footflaps

It’s why drivers will desperately try to pass a bike, even if it’s only to get to the next stoppage where the cyclist will immediately pass them again.

I’ve had a car drivers go ape at me at a junction when I’ve gone in front of him into the designated ‘Cyclist’ box, waiting for the lights. Lights go green, I ride off, they drive 30 yards to join back of 1 mile traffic queue…

And yet, me being in front of them for all of 30 yards was so wrong even though I probably got home about an hour earlier than him…..

DezB
    Free Member

It’s an interesting read, but I’m really not clear on what his point is.

This.
    He does say: The point is that it’s wrong to look at the unpleasant emotional compost around the roots of morality and conclude that nothing worthwhile grows from spite or smugness.
    which I’m buggered if I can make a point out of.

The article did make me wish I’d gone on the speed awareness course I was offered recently so I could tell them how much I hate car drivers.

Northwind

He is an absolute div. But this

“The cyclists were hated because they are cheats. They are getting away with something that car drivers cannot. The motorist is born free, but everywhere he is in queues. The courier burning through a red light demonstrates the freedom that car drivers have traded for comfort.”

Seems absolutely bang on. (I’ve removed the bits in the middle where he was being a div, just for sanity’s sake). When stuck in traffic in a car, what burns isn’t being stuck, it’s that you’ve chosen to be stuck- prison of your own creating is the worst sort, right?

D0NK

Dunno about the irony/self deprecation thing, there seem to be a lot of otherwise quite intelligent people in the UK thoroughly capable of holding two mutually exclusive thoughts/beliefs, especially where cars are concerned.

Point did seem to be missing, someone get the “not sure stupid/trolling” picture out.

jfletch
    Free Member

As a car driver I look on the cyclists, not with hate but with envy. I wish I was one of them.

Stoner
    Free Member

repeating what I said on a Melanie Phillips thread…

Car drivers resent cyclists because they represent all the goodness they could be but choose not to be. Cyclists are just better people than them and they hate themselves for it

😀

GrahamS

And this doesn’t help the general sense of entitlement from car drivers:

😀

D0NK

£0000 bollocks! have you seen the price of jaffa cakes?

GrahamS

Especially if you buy them from a garage!

DezB
    Free Member

And this doesn’t help the general sense of entitlement from car drivers:

What doesn’t?!??!

imnotverygood

That doesn’t.

GrahamS

That cycling is effectively free from “running costs” (jaffa cakes aside) in a society that is largely built on the principal that everything worth doing must cost money.

Motorists (myself included) pay a LOT to run cars. A stupid amount really. The fact that cyclists pay very little adds to the feeling that they must be “cheating” somehow.

I think this is what is often behind the “road tax” buffoonery.

(Edit: if you can’t see the pic it’s cos it is from Facebook)

samuri
    Free Member

I don’t need to read that. He’s got a head like a lightbulb. That’s quite enough for me to hate him! Bastard!

I bet he wears glasses when he’s not being photographed too. Tosser!

Junkyard
    Free Member

ii am not sure what th epoint is but some of it is irony

the one thing that get sme is car drivers seem to forget all the other daft stuff car drivers do to them but remeber every incident a cyclist does.
    ne
    IME the real idiots near me are yoofs with bikes – ie someone who cycles rather than an actual cyclist.

Nico
    Free Member

The articles is nothing to do with irony. It’s an observation that the car drivers on his course felt that their only wrongdoing was to get caught. That observation and the belief that car drivers get in a tiswas because they hate to see “cheating” is as much of a conclusion that you are going to get. For more black and white conclusions see the Daily Express.

Junkyard
    Free Member

AS if to prove the point
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20725496

A motorist who a court heard opened his car door, causing a cyclist approaching from behind to be crushed by a bus, has been found not guilty of manslaughter.

Sam Harding, 25, died after crashing into Kenan Aydogdu’s car door in Holloway Road, north London, last year.

Mr Aydogdu had had the windows of his car coated with a dark plastic film which reduced visibility in and out of the car to 17%, the Old Bailey heard.

Mr Aydogdu, 32, of Hindhead, Surrey, denied manslaughter.

More on This Story

FFS when will we get some actual protection from the courts
    Probably need to get away from jury trial

DezB
    Free Member

See now you’ve posted that Junky, the tossers will be out: “well he shouldn’t have been cycling so close to the car’s door”…

falkirk-mark

There seems to be a lack of awareness amongst drivers that instead of us cyclists ripping off the road tax/VED a good majority of us have cars taxed sitting not even on the road but their drive (can I get a rebate ?)

GrahamS

he tossers will be out: “well he shouldn’t have been cycling so close to the car’s door”…

Well.. to be honest he shouldn’t. Sorry. But he certainly shouldn’t have had to pay for that with his life.

And the driver should face some* form of punishment as he seems to have been twice negligent.

Trouble is that police, investigators, prosecutors, coroners, and any jury involved will all likely be drivers and thinking “there but for the grace of dog goes me”

*(I remain unconvinced that a custodial sentence makes any difference in these cases, but taking their license away would).

alex222
    Free Member

Well.. to be honest he shouldn’t. Sorry.

hmmmmm

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t take long. Cyclists fault eh?
    Another thread on the Bike forum about to go the same way.

I know, let’s all think of examples where you CAN’T give the blind idiot in the car enough room to carelessly open his door in your path.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its impossible to cycle that far away form every car door realistically just as it would be impossible to do so with a car. We should be able to expect a duty of care from them towards us re opening their dor from their piss poor sight from the illegal vehicle [ I assume it is illegal to have that much light blocked out.

All accidents are avoidable but any cyclist should be able to pass parked cars and not get the blame for a tit opening a door on them…its not far from he should not have been on the road and it is he should not have been on that part of the road 😕
    Should h have been on the cycle path?

TBH we are **** when we cannot even agree on this and I tend to consider GrahamS as one of the good guys on this issue

Every time a car driver kills one of us the reaction,from a jury, is always it could have been me so we best let him off

Exiting thread and you may well be right Dez B

druidh
    Free Member

Well.. to be honest he shouldn’t. Sorry.

Technically correct. However, without being there at the time, I can’t tell if he was already being “pressured” by overtaking vehicles, if the car stopped immediately in front of him and he had no time to avoid etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Guardian Bloke gets sent on a Speed Awareness Course..’ is closed to new replies.