Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • GT Zaskar…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

25 years old apparently. Always fancied one, never owned one unfortunately. Somewhat iconic (at least in my mind!)

Did you have one? Do you have one? Which one? Good memories? And lets see some photos!

Here’s a few…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I had a mid nineties Zaskar, great bike and a true all rounder.Handled great and quick to boot. You’re right it’s a classic, up there with the Stumpie in the legendary bike category.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I agree that they are legendary and have had a couple. One back in the day before the whole long, low, and slack thing took off and one a couple of years ago.

I liked the first one I had and rode it some fun places. I got it cheap and it was the wrong size for me, the seat tube was about 3 meters long but the top tube was too short even with a 110mm stem. I can’t work out if it was too big or too small, most likely both at the same time.

The second was bought just for riding with the kids and it was ok but again it didn’t fit well at all and I have already experienced bikes that were much more fun and fitted better. I sold it as it wasn’t fun.

Here is the second one, a ’97.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/a7ssKt]Untitled[/url] by i_ache, on Flickr

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had a ’96 Bull Burnished (naturally) LE. Cracking bike, shame it didnt have disc mounts as I’d probably still be riding it now. Well if it wasnt for the silly cow in 2002 who pulled out on me at a junction and kindly hit be with the front bumper.
    Poor bike didnt stand a chance. Still got the frame in the garage.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Blew my student loan on a ’93 Zaskar LE frame. Recently raided the parts bin and rebuilt it back to ‘working’ – all bits original and owned by me from new!

About 26lbs, was awesome to ride and took some hammer in the Peak District, BMX tracks, raced DH and XC on it!

Google drive, can’t directly link:
    https://goo.gl/photos/KoCknTdTYvzdHnZQ9

nemesis
    Free Member

Always wanted one (and a ’95 LTS to match), haven’t ever had one and I’m not sure I ever will now.

the-muffin-man

A US built Zaskar with Spinergy wheels – my dream bike back in the day. Never did get one!

bombjack
    Free Member

Had a mid 90’s Zaskar and hated it, plumped for a 2014 9’er and its awesome. Hopefully pic should be attached.

pictonroad

Love them, bought a 91 Zaskar with a U brake from the car park at an NPS race many years ago. It was the holy grail for a penniless teen, built up with period nonsense. Nearly killed it doing ‘one more jump’ and snapping the alloy mech hanger. Had a new hanger screwed on and it was eventually finished someone tried to nick it, failed, kicked the mech and wrecked that hanger. Still got the frame, going to make it into an outside light I think…

Insurance then coughed up for a new 97 16″ frame, absolutely stunning, one of the last USA welded ones. Built that up in many many guises over the years including an ill advised period with Tioga DH 2.3″ tyres, Judy twin crown forks and one of those foot long Tioga saddles, (no pics thank goodness) went from this:

to this:

and now it’s finally been retired, I’m going to hang it on the wall in the hall.

BIt of a Zaskar fan boy here…

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Yep had and loved it , sold it to buy a car !,early 90`s, bits of XTR, XT thumbies, Middleburn cranks, ceramic rims 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

bombjack, here’s your photo… like it.

gravity-slave, nice, loving the snowflake spokes.

Pictonroad, liking the latest incarnation.

stumpy_m4, you could take someone’s eye out with those bars!!! 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

nemesis – Member
    Always wanted one (and a ’95 LTS to match), haven’t ever had one and I’m not sure I ever will now.

I had one EXACTLY the same as that with a Suntour XC Pro groupset, back in the day before SRAM were Shimano’s rivals… I still have the fork boots in my toolbox. The rear end got bananad when it was d-locked to a fence and some twonk tried to remove it with sheer force.

Straightened it out (ish) with a vice and wooden blocks and sold it cheaply to my mate’s brother!

Loved it and have always had a soft spot for them. They just need to make a long slack 27.5+ version and I’ll be in!

philjunior
    Free Member

When I worked in a bike shop my boss had one, I remember thinking the forks were massive (early Marzocchi Z1’s – I think they were 110mm travel). It was his only bike due to ongoing divorce/separation, but it seemed to do OK until it cracked (and was replaced under warranty)

This was back in the 90s so he was definitely ahead of his time with the hardcore HT thing!

garlic
    Free Member

Missed out on the GT thing as I was a Kona obsessive/skint student. Always enjoyed letching at the GTs in Edwards Cycles on Camberwell Road.

Pickers

This is mine, bought new as a frame in 1996 and still used regularly. It’s been a bit of a triggers broom bike. It’s a 16″ frame, Ink Blue.

Bluebells wk3 Work by Richard Picton, on Flickr

This pic is nearly 5 years old, it has Rebas and disc brakes on it now

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Cheers, built the snowflake myself and hand painted flowers (Mint Sause style) on the hubs!

Nico
    Free Member

The name might be however many years old but the modern bike is just re-using a name. Good marketing.

I always hated that GT frame mini-triangle thing and I see they are hinting at it in the modern carbon version.

Did you know that the car that sold most in history is not the VW beetle or the model T Ford but the Toyota Corolla (in all it’s totally different incarnations).

cokie

That new carbon one looks lovely!

jaylittle
    Free Member

Had a coupe dumonde in 2001, it was the red/black/white version. Loved it up until the moment it snapped on the seat and chain stay at lee quarry.

scaredypants

there’s a frame in my garage, (probably unforgivably) built up as a drop-bar commuter that I haven’t quite got round to using yet

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Zasker, eh? 1994 flavour:

ThePinkster

Had a ’95 (I think) Zaskar LE in yellow with gold Judy XC’s (IIRC) on it. Bought it 2nd hand when it was about a year old with what was then the new mk1 8 speed HT XTR build on it, complete with Syncros post & stem, Flite Ti saddle, etc.

No longer have it as I needed the money for a new build.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pinkster, I’d have liked that a lot BITD 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had a 97 in yellow. Sold on ebay to a guy who offered way more than I expected and ups posted to Germany. As I sent it I regretted it. I’ll deffo get another zaskar one day. It’s the first bike I remember seeing in an ad in mbuk I really wanted.

sbob
    Free Member

Still got my 2000 Zaskar X, in all its limited edition matt black loveliness. 😀

It’s **** in every way. 😥

unclezaskar
    Free Member

bought mine back in 96 as an LE frameset from the states – has been with me ever
    since in various build configurations, still love it for just the way it rides..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooooh extra points for the Girvin fork 🙂 I have one of those lurking in the back of the shed.

sheeps

Had a 96 zaskar le, which is still around, although it has spent the last couple of years hung up in the cellar after a few years service as a commuter. Battered but bombproof. Might sell it one day if the need for pennies arises, or wait until the kids are old enough for 26″ bikes!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Loving the Girvin fork 🙂 , loved mine till some bar steward broke into my shed and relocated it !

tlr

Mid nineties Zaskar LE, currently my dad’s shopping bike!

He wants me to sell it for him but I can’t quite bring myself to do it, might just have to buy it back off him.

Shame I got rid of the Halson Inversion forks off it.

steveh

I’ve had a ’93 blue 16″ since 1998ish. Used as my hardtail mtb for 5 or so years and for most of the last 10 has been my commuter/town/hack bike. It was rebuilt with bits from my parts bins including: Hope Big un front wheel, Kona Project 2 straight steel forks, easton ea70 bars, stem etc and also has a pannier rack and other totally out of places bits fitted.

robhughes
    Free Member

A bling one.

Nomad
    Free Member

Loved this bike. It just did everything asked of it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Spinergy wheels, Magura brakes, and a set of Fire XC Pro’s… nice 🙂

deev
    Free Member

This is mine, still going strong! Last of the US ones from ’98

valley
    Free Member

I’ve got a year 2000 Zaskar LE hiding up the attic same as the Blue & yellow Team in the Pics further up but has black SIDS on it all Xtr was £2700 in 2000

jonk

here is mine still going today

twonks

Still one of my all time favourite bikes.

Mine was a 1999 Zaskar LE frameset in cosmic sunrise.

Went through a few changes but this was as it was ridden the most in 2000 ish.

Had a resurgence in 2010 ish with an A2Z rear disk adaptor and a sunny day round Cannock.

In that build it was very light and flew everywhere. Around 22lb iirc.

Then finally as a road muncher.

The frame was a little bit scuffed and scraped so I got rid of it to a German buyer who gave a pretty penny.

Now use a Soul for the hardtail and would swap it for Zaskar in a heartbeat (as long as it was rear disk compatible and handled like the original.

sharkattack

Nice bikes and everything and I love a bit of nostalgia, but I’m so glad we now live in the future!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘GT Zaskar…’ is closed to new replies.