Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grum – was it you?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We discussed this last year and it wasnt me – sadly, still need to do it….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-36016527

Sorry crap video really.

gozarch
    Free Member

Blimey! 😮

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why were “climbers stunned”?

Looks a bit tame really. Ive always fancied Winnats Pass myself, but never been able to get there when there has been enough snow 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The first attempt was noted in Ivan Waller’s obituary in the Alpine Journal

That same year Ivan became the first person to ski down the precipitous east face of Helvellyn to Red Tarn (a feat he repeated some years later with his youngest son Tim).

http://www.alpinejournal.org.uk/Contents/Contents_1997_files/AJ%201997%20333-363%20In%20Memoriam.pdf

I watched three skiers do it about 15 years ago and have wanted to do it ever since. Its really about the cornice and the first 50metres or so. The skiers I saw abseiled off the trig point and then skied the rest. From the video, looks like “grum” took a line closer to Swirral Edge. Ok the news have to sensationalise it a bit, but it’s a ballsy start and you wouldn’t want to fall.

By modern standards not extreme, but for most of us the heart rate would be pumping!!!

grum
    Free Member

Hee, no sadly not though I have been considering this recently – I reckon I’d have a pop but I’d quite like a buddy to do it with. I read somewhere it’s 50-55 degrees at the top on the bit a little further away from Swirral Edge.

Very nearly took my skis up when I was up a few weeks ago but I fancied going up Striding Edge and I have no crampons for my ski touring/freeride boots yet.

footflaps

Looks a bit tame really.

Plenty of on-piste blacks steeper and longer than that. I’d be more worried about trashing the skies on the rocks.

grum
    Free Member

As with a lot of theses things, I suspect it’s steeper than it look on the video. I’ve stood up there looking down (from the steeper bit further away from Swirral Edger admittedly) and it looks fairly intimidating – I am perfectly happy skiing black runs. And the rocks spice it up a bit too.

SaxonRider

Looks a bit tame really.

This, and I’m no expert. I can’t see that it looks all that much different to some of the faces I have skied in the Rockies. Obviously the hiker who claimed to be terrified knew nothing about skiing.

martinhutch

I wonder where the edge of the cornice was in relation to the guy who filmed that?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Grum – another great photo (rx100?) Reminds me to have a crack at the Nethermost Cove gullies

It is (as always) a lot steeper than it looks. It’s the first 50 meters that are steep, after which a reasonably broad OP run, albeit at least a steep black. On top of that, there is often a reasonable cornice to deal with.

Funky, promise you it’s not tame and it’s very exposed if you fall. Rocks plus a long slope without an easing of gradient

mrsfry
    Free Member

He forgot to bring the Milk Tray 🙁

grum
    Free Member

Thanks THM – yup RX100 again. I’ve climbed the wide snow slope on the left of my pic, not any of the proper gullies. The bit I did was pretty straightforward until right near the top where it got pretty steep and getting over/through the cornice was quite tricky/scary, especially not roped up and with only one ice axe. 😯

All the people saying the ski descent is easy – yes there’s some hyperbole in the article but I will invite you all to come join me when I attempt it and see how easy you are saying it is then. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Need to explore that side. Climbed the gully from the tarn to the left of the obvious rocky thumb that comes right out at the shelter. Did it with a mate but no ropes. Pleasantly steep until the cornice when the lack of any protection made us concentrate somewhat! Had two axes though 😉

Two heads popping through the cornice gave the walkers a shock!!

singlespeedstu

Grum.
    Will you have your seatpost up and be blowing out of your arse when you go over the top without stopping for a rest after the climb?
    If not it looks easy. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grum – was it you?’ is closed to new replies.