Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Growing the barnet out
  • justatheory
    Free Member

Midlife crisis alert. I’ve decided to grow my hair and would like some advice from the hirsute contingent of STW.

Is it best to just let it grow to the desired length or would you advise getting minor pruning? Any other considerations? A work colleague suggested maintenance trims but this seems counterintuitive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread…

Cougar

A bit of both. Get it tidied up when you start getting weird tufts that look out of place. Sometimes you’ve just got to ride it through though.

cinnamon_girl

Well done, it’s good to see chaps embracing their locks. Will possibly need layering if it becomes unruly.

benjishucksmith
    Free Member

You definitely need a mullet.

Solo
    Free Member

Get it tidied up when you start getting weird tufts that look out of place
    No, no, no, no, NO! Men and “pony tales” belong in the 80s, so leave them there.

You definitely need a mullet.
    Nope, he doesn’t!

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Well done, it’s good to see chaps embracing their locks. Will possibly need layering if it becomes unruly.

Interesting. My hair is getting longer and it’s a PITA getting it cut as most places just seem to shave it all off!!
    So, without diverting the thread onto the topic of Men who have so little imagination or interest in their appearance that they just shave their hair to within 1/2 inch of their scalp.
    Just what do you mean by “layering
    Pics may help?

cinnamon_girl

May be worth going to a hairdresser, as opposed to a barber? Layering basically means cutting it into different lengths so as it hangs/sits better. 🙂

Gosh, I’ve just Googled some cuties. 😆 #Men’s layered hair#

fergal
    Free Member

Comic book guy.

Solo
    Free Member

CG.

Hey babe 🙂 happy to help, but I’m no more enlightened than before.

It’s flippin annoying going to get your hair cut, by men or women who automatically assume you just want it all cut short.
    Of course, such an attitude could be the result of a biased view….
    Using the clippers is a very simple, quick, job for a barber/hair dresser, no?….

All I can contribute is that wanting something that doesn’t result in a “Mr Smith” doesn’t seem to compute, in the part of the world I now reside in. 🙁

I don’t want my hair cropped like this. Yes, it’s useful on the MTB during summer, but overall, no thanks.

llama

Started this a little over a year ago (another MLC)

CG + 1 – IMO you are better off seeing a stylist every 2-3 months rather than just a trim, telling them your end goal.

My friends would no doubt laugh themselves silly at that, but unless you want to look like a total idiot for a couple of years (as opposed to a partial one) it’s the way to go.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I too seem to be hitting the midlife crisis and looking at too many Cafe Racer websites resulted me in trying to grow it out while pining for tattoos, beards and customised Triumphs.

Then common sense kicked in and it’s getting lopped off on Tuesday as having to put time aside and using “product” doesn’t sit well with me. Have you seen some of the stuff out there that seems to hark back to the 50’s?

Still fancy the bike though 😀

bigblackshed

I have nothing valuable to contribute. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Solo – yes, I can understand your frustration but it may well be worth staking out some barber shops in the hope that some of their clientele may be with hair.

llama makes a very good point re what your end goal is, that has to be the best approach. I would even go so far as to say that it should be trimmed every 6-8 weeks.

Yes, it’s easier having little hair when you’re riding bikes etc. but it’s really just getting into a routine with decent shampoo, conditioning if needed, avoiding a hair dryer etc.

Just a thought, Cap’n Poldark really flaunted his tresses and that must have influenced some chaps to embrace their locks. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

(as opposed to a partial one)
    Nail well and truely struck there. It’s a fine line……

CG, as always I will give your guidance serious consideration, although pictures would have helped.

Then common sense kicked in and it’s getting lopped off on Tuesday as having to put time aside and using “product” doesn’t sit well with me. Have you seen some of the stuff out there that seems to hark back to the 50’s?
    The prosecution rests! Middle aged man in “I can’t be arsed” shocker!

OK, it’s more like the 1940’s but you get the idea. Which is Men had hair cuts that didn’t result in a crop of hair 12.5mm from the surface of the skin on their head,

I’d just be grateful to get a hair cut I wanted and based upon recent experience, unless I walk in with a picture of what exactly I’m after, it’s the clippers for me, with a polite, “see you in three weeks” sucker!

yunki
    Free Member

I fall into Solo’s category of men with short hair and little imagination.. I’ve had a grade 0 buzz cut for the last 25 years..

Luckily my rugged good looks, charismatic charm, witty repertoire, creative flair and unrivalled sartorial elegance have eclipsed the shine from my severe noggin allowing me to lead an extraordinarily rich and fulfilling life..
    I dunno if I would feel very comfortable relying on my haircut to showcase the grandness of my imagination

I did notice the other day that I’ve gone half bald somewhere along the way though, so I’m curious to see exactly what sort of luxurious mane is lying dormant in the follicles of my nut brown scalp.. 🙂

I shall watch this thread with interest

Solo
    Free Member

Just a thought, Cap’n Poldark really flaunted his tresses and that must have influenced some chaps to embrace their locks.
    Not sure what you’re referring to there.

I’ve just reached a point where wearing my hair longer than I use to, appeals to me.
    Ok, so some might say I’m lucky to have a full mane and I’m glad I still do. But that doesn’t make the choices any easier. Finding a Barber who can actually cut anything you might ask for, still seems to be a tall order, these days.
    Ho-Hey.
    😐

Cougar

Six weeks?

Six months more like.

Cougar

Finding a Barber who can actually cut anything you might ask for, still seems to be a tall order, these days.

That’s because you’re going to a barber rather than a hairdresser. Find a nice lady to pamper your bonce and cut something stylish, rather than a no 2 all round. Wet cut is the future.

Solo
    Free Member

Luckily my rugged good looks, charismatic charm, witty repertoire, creative flair and unrivalled sartorial elegance narcissism have eclipsed the shine from my severe noggin allowing me to lead an extraordinarily rich and fulfilling life..
    I dunno if I would feel very comfortable relying on my haircut to showcase the grandness of my imagination

Likewise, I’m not comfortable with your implication that Women might be so shallow as to go for a Man’s hair cut alone…

That’s because you’re going to a barber rather than a hairdresser. Find a nice lady to pamper your bonce and cut something stylish, rather than a no 2 all round. Wet cut is the future.
    Aye, you’re spot on there, just as CG suggested, it’s time to look elsewhere for a more “stylish” result.
    It’s all good.
    🙂

cinnamon_girl

Solo – you’re extremely lucky to have a full mane and you should wear it however you choose. I wondered whether Cap’n Poldark would set a new trend, you know plenty of women were dazzled by his hotness and gorgeous hair and maybe inspired chaps to banish the clippers.

Are there any online reviews of barbers/unisex establishments?

Cougar – yes, 6 weeks certainly to start with, imo, and 6 months would necessitate a permanent beanie!

yunki
    Free Member

solo – narcissism blah blah blah, desperate attempt at feminist attack blah blah blah 😉

oh 🙁

My satire on the bitter condemnation in your first post has seemingly sailed forlornly over your exuberantly coiffeured bonce..

Solo
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    LMAO Nice one 😆
    Keep on truk’n fella.

CG, I’ll have to search out this Poldark, thing, fellow, in order to understand what you’re referring to.
    As always, I’m grateful for your input.
    😀

That’s it people, good night!

Solo, Has left the building!

jools182
    Free Member

Brad Pitt and George Clooney…

I think you’re setting the bar too low

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Growing the barnet out’ is closed to new replies.