• This topic has 130 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Group riders… a new generation of ramblers. With wheels.
  • ro
    Free Member

The post which caught my attention yesterday spoke of arranging a jaunt around Pitlochry, an old stomping ground of mine. The thought of a bunch of yattering weekend warriors clattering around those tranquil hills dressed in their techno-clothing astride a variety of dazzle painted frames adorned with tastefully anodized bolts made me shudder.

Why do you have to ride together? It's visually obscene. Can't you do things for yourself? Find your own routes? Use a map? Why bumble around in a group, no doubt pissing off every walker/climber/hill runner you come across? Where is the adventure in following someone elses wheel?

I feel mtber's in groups larger than four should be banned. Read the riot act. Charged with sedition. Anything, but let loose on the natural environment.

If you can't use a map and travel a recognised route without the company of a horde of like-minded individuals, perhaps you should hang around Glentress or your local park, somewhere you'd feel more comfortable, more secure, surrounded by others who think and dress as you, less in need of 'support'.

And before you ask, yes I've done a near identical route many times by myself or with a friend on my dark green Kona, dressed in jeans and a Barbour. I also managed to stop and chat with most walkers I met yet still enjoy a hard ride. Even when it rained all day and half of Ben Vrackie was stuck in cloud I didn't get lost or die from hypothermia. So it can be done.

Nanny State herd mentality. 1 Adventurous spirit. 0

_tom_
    Free Member

I know you're trolling but may as well reply anyway 😆 Riding with others usually pushes you to do stuff slightly out of your comfort zone. Although sometimes it works the opposite for me because I don't want to make a tit out of myself in front of people.

kiwijohn

A chip on both shoulders now?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And you don't know the people involved – I know some of them and know they will find

The thought of a bunch of yattering weekend warriors clattering around those tranquil hills dressed in their techno-clothing astride a variety of dazzle painted frames adorned with tastefully anodized bolts made me shudder.

Rather amusing.

'tis a long way from the truth.

Lame troll I am afraid

PJM1974
    Free Member

Why do you have to ride together? It's visually obscene.

Point of argument fail.

ro
    Free Member

No. Trolling is when you say something you don't believe simply to elicit a response and giggle at the righteous indignation of those you've provoked.

I, on the other hand, actually believe (most of) what I write.

tangent
    Free Member

bang on the money mate!

t'tread is telling truth not a Fail IMO.

don't see many FreeRamber AllMonotenous riders on the Fjords I frequent.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Florid prose, limp argument.

tangent
    Free Member

agree over Rambler stylee post by the OP…but true all the same.

Northwind

Obviously it's currently cool to say everything you don't like is down to the "nanny state" but it's hard to see how you can attribute having friends to big government.

nickc

Disc brakes earlier, now this. So, you're a techno-phobe with no friends…Do you smell as well?

prettygreenparrot

We had a conversation on the moors the other night that was along these lines: mountain biking is perhaps the current middle-aged generation's version of rambling. And large groups of any people outside a city/town are unsettling. nonetheless freedom of association means we can enjoy the company of others. It means we can learn from each other and it means we can challenge each other. We're sociable beings on the whole and it seems reasonable to allow that association. To refuse it on grounds of aesthetics, trolling or curmudgeonliness seems futile.

tangent
    Free Member

i missed the last statement about Nanny (Full Suspension of disbelief) statement by the O.P.
    but wtf

kinda true

:?:or knew?

ro
    Free Member

Disc brakes earlier, now this.

I know. It's just so contrary, isn' it? Ergo, it must be wrong.

Techno-phobe? Au contraire, mon ami! I work with high-tech equipment every day. It saves lives.

What I can't abide is overly-complex solutions to problems, like bike retardation. If I could get away with it, I'd just drag my feet along the ground and save on brakes altogether. Just as I enjoy simple things like looking around me and using a map and compass rather than hashing about with a GPS system. And riding alone or in small groups.

But, OMG, you're right! I DO smell!!!

Simple things…

tangent
    Free Member

simple things,

sometime eh?

simpleposts n',

Trailtruths.

tangent
    Free Member

actually what if mtb'ing is the current demographic equivalent of Rambling?

When Ramblers' started the (social)movement, like the Kinder Mass Tresspass …Ramblers (as they were in the 1930s?), was far radder than any of today's FreeRide Collectivised nonsense.

So repspect to Rad ramblers both new skool & old style actusally.

ro
    Free Member

I have nothing against rambling or ramblers. They're OK people in the main.

My point was simply that the adventure tag on which mtbing is so often sold / promoted / enjoyed is rather diluted when people choose to engage in group rambles-on-wheels.

I find it hard to accept the argument that you need the 'ultimate stopping power' provided by disc brakes when the main danger faced by a significant proportion of mountain bikers is the guy in front suddenly stopping to answer his mobile phone.

DrP

I work with high-tech equipment every day. It saves lives.

What I can't abide is overly-complex solutions to problems, like bike retardation. If I could get away with it, I'd just drag my feet along the ground and save on brakes altogether. Just as I enjoy simple things like looking around me and using a map and compass rather than hashing about with a GPS system.

This is a completely contrary statement though, isn't it.
    The vast majority of medical advances are complicated, complex solutions that help advance the whole 'pathway' from diagnosis to treatment.
    Sure, in certain situations these tasks can be completed by simple measures such as a thorough clinical exam, or simple tests, but there's no denying that 'complex solutions' have revolutionised medical therapies.

I'm sure in 'Nam you have access to certain medical technologies that you take for granted in your day to day work, just as cyclists now take for granted discs and suspension etc. Each are valid technologies.

I must say Ro – some of your rants really do come across quite bizzare and concerning!

DrP

DrP

….the main danger faced by a significant proportion of mountain bikers is the guy in front suddenly stopping to answer his mobile phone….

Where do you get these ideas from?!

DrP

tangent
    Free Member

i agree totally.

the funny part is that the rest of the threads made rethink
    the red socked ramblers
    as more rad merry than
    the disc braked biker boy's here now

back on track – only just got discs going late lats season…my goodness theyt were invited for a reason eh?…

cheers then,

j

tangent
    Free Member

Nah , DrP…

wtf d ye get the mashed M.A.S.H.E.D ideas from?

I belive were talking mountain biking not Medicness

DrP

…wtf d ye get the mashed M.A.S.H.E.D ideas from?…

Ro's a doctor. I was pointing out the contradictory statement he was making by comparing his 'hate of MTB techonolgy' with his use of medicinal technology.

I belive were talking mountain biking not Medicness

TBH I'm not sure it's clear what you are talking about 😉 Busy night on the beers I hope!

DrP

ro
    Free Member

That's quite an interesting argument, DrP, and I might buy it were so much effort not being expended on simplifying the diagnosis / treatment protocols. Expert systems will replace our ramblings one day, and the patient will be all the better for it.

What do you think SIGN guidelines are all about? Or computerised patient administration systems in your GP practice where drug interaction / contra indications are flashed up on your screen? No need to search in your MIMS or your memory. Electronic links to labs result, patient referrals to secondary care providers, blah, blah. Complex technology being used to SIMPLIFY a process.

As some guy once said, 'simply and add lightness'. He was an engineer, but the principle is valid across all professions. If we can – and we can – use technology to present our patients with the best evidence-based care in 95% of the cases we encounter, I'll happily lose 5% of my patients because they required a complex solution which was probably beyond my ability to handle anyway. But I do accept that YMMV.

But disc brakes are unnecessarily complex. So they're Just Wrong.

tangent
    Free Member

Nor am I now tbh!

whatever it seems to have got into the spirit of the thread
    M.A.S.H.(ed) reference = comedy crew Korean Docs.

hope that makes sense…
    aye was quite a busy one.

tangent
    Free Member

noteeth!
    yr NHStyles
    r needed on this thread

ro
    Free Member

hmmmm, maybe he said 'simplyfy and add…' it would have made more sense 🙂

anyway, it's almost 10 am here and i have work to do. nighty-night, my little nouveau-rambler chums.

ro
    Free Member

can you send me some of what you're on, tangent? it seems fun.

🙂

tangent
    Free Member

maybe … yeah. riding Oslo Fjord right out.
    Top thread!

tangent
    Free Member

ten AM ?…
    where tf is that then?

Candodavid
    Free Member

would say somewhere indian ocean based, malaysia, Thai

Edit:-) Checked profile….he's in the 'nam dude

coastkid
    Free Member

you should start playing golf!…
    golf clubs love folk like you who come on board and nag nag nag…
    honestly,jack in biking,take up golf then everyone will be happy 😆

spooky_b329

Please mods, either dish out a banning or provide me with an ignore button!

ro
    Free Member

but it's not my job to make you happy.

i shall style myself as the black swan of this forum. you need to read taleb.

🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Why would anyone get so upset about Pitlochry when they're far-far away in Cambodia, it's not like they're getting in your way or anything:)

druidh
    Free Member

ro – Member
    The thought of a bunch of yattering weekend warriors clattering around those tranquil hills dressed in their techno-clothing astride a variety of dazzle painted frames adorned with tastefully anodized bolts made me shudder.

I'm one of the riders involved, and you couldn't be more wrong mate.

My frame isn't painted at all because it's made of Titanium.

MrSmith
    Free Member

just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I mostly ride on my own, sometimes with my best mate and occasionally with a largeish and varied group. I go to trail centres, I go with my map to unknown territories ( to me anyway )and I go for frequent rides in the local woods on my doorstep. Variety is the spice of life. I'll be near the front today with a map but no mobile, looking under every bridge for you. If I find you I'll still offer you a Haribo and some bramble whiskey.

John_Key
    Free Member

Ro you raise a good point and I think large groups of riders does have the potential to p1ss off walkers and other track users. Personally I like riding with mates, but 4-5 of us is a good number, with 2-3 people best. The more people the longer the ride takes and the higher the chance of mechanicals with you all standing around fixing bikes.

Do we all need to go riding in groups of 20?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, I'm not the most experienced rider on STW, but I've been at it 20 years on and off and there's a VERY GOOD reason why I go on group rides – Its fun! I'm very capable of using a map and finding my own way round a new area, but it's a lot more effective to find a local to guide you round and show you the bits that don't appear on any map. I'm very happy riding on my own. Indeed I did just that on Friday evening, but to me MTBing has a wonderful social element, and it's impossible to have a bad day in a big group. Unless your head is stuck firmly in the sand that is. Just because your opinion is that groups if more than 4 should be banned doesn't mean to say it's right, and it ain't NEVER gonna happen anyway. So get used to it. Your post is riddled with "I'm better than you becase I blah blah blah" -ism too, in case you didn't notice?
    So, I'm up early to sort my kit for a STW group ride on the Surrey Hills today. I'm gonna gave a great time in the sun, make some new friends and ride some great trails. Sorry if that annoys the Fun Police, but it's tough titty.
    😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

Anything, but let loose on the natural environment.

Opps… that natural environment made up of farm land, deforested heather moorland, spruce plantations, covered in sheep, criss-crossed by modern and ancient transport routes, dotted with wind farms and hydro plants…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Group riders… a new generation of ramblers. With wheels.’ is closed to new replies.