Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ground or Wall Anchor in Asgard Metal Shed
  • dmorts

Has anyone put a ground or wall anchor in their Asgard Metal Shed? There are two options I’m considering:

Shed Shackle Anchor
    Double Doofer Anchor

Both will allow the shed to moved at some point in the future. The Shed Shackle is only attached to the shed and the Double Doofer ground anchor is removable.

In terms of fitting:

There will be a lot work installing the Double Doofer as I’ll have to make a concrete block under the shed to attach it to. It is currently on slabs. Pragmasis, the makers of both products, reckon at least 3 weeks before any drilling into the new concrete.

The Shed Shackle could be fitted a lot more easily. I’m just worried whether where the holes that go through the side might leak. Plus it could cause rust at these points.

In terms of Security:

I’ll be using a 2.0m 11mm Pragmasis Protector chain that I already have.

The Double Doofer requires that an 11mm chain is looped through twice, which will be no problem. Though, it does put the chain on the floor making it more vulnerable to cropping.

The Shed Shackle raises the chain off the floor, so harder to crop.

Both are going to have a similar resistance to angle grinding.

Which should I go for? Also open to any other products or ideas

dizcostix
    Free Member

I bolted my asgard shed to the slabs it was sitting on.

I’ve not installed a ground anchor on the fact if someone is determined enough to break into the shed they will likely get the bikes.

Out of your 2 options I’d go for the double doofer bolted directly through the shed floor into the slabs. An 11mm chain is cropable if the thieves are determined and tooled up. I wouldn’t bother with the concrete block under the shed.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tyreocrete.
    Do a search for it.
    That’s what I added to my Aasgard. Completely portable when the bikes aren’t locked to it. Completely importable when they are.

ie I can just about roll a 70kg tyre on its own, but with a bike attached it’s impossible.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tyreocrete.
    Do a search for it.

Actually, don’t. Too many spelling variations.

Get an old tyre free from ATS and some old fencing wire, preferably the 5″ square stuff, but really anything will do.

Stuff the wire into the circumference of the tyre. Balance the tyre uplright. Fill the bottom section with bricks, stones and cement mix. Allw to dry. Rotate and repeat until the tyre is full. Wrap it up in plastic/duck tape to prevent a mess.

Voila.

Mine is a fairly standard looking car tyre and I think it weighs about 70kg or so.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ll be using a 2.0m 11mm Pragmasis Protector chain that I already have.
    The Double Doofer requires that an 11mm chain is looped through twice, which will be no problem.

Are you planning to lock more than one bike, or more than 1 wheel? If so you may find the 2m chain limited. I bought a 2.5m one on Steve’s advice and it was a pain in the arse for locking multiple bikes as it was too short. So much so that I ended up buying a 4m one in addition.

dmorts

The 2.0 m chain was OK for 3 bikes when I used it with a Shed Shackle before.

The concrete tyre has got me thinking. Could do similar with large flexible plastic bucket. Fill it 200mm deep with concrete, set an anchor in it then trim the bucket level with the concrete. The remainder of the bucket acts as a protective surround. Might be tight on space to have this in the shed though.

craig24
    Free Member

Doing the same myself, just bought this of eBay –

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222210504216?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Going to set it in a 30l bucket, should weight around 60 kg I believe.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Regards drilling the holes, you can put a bit of silicone sealant on both sides of the hole where you will be putting the bolts through, that’ll both weather proof it and protect it from rusting.

I’d go for the shed shackle if I was you with not already having a concrete base, plus it’ll keep your chain off the floor

shermer75
    Free Member

Tyreocrete.
    Do a search for it.

Actually frustratingly close to a google wack 😉

spooky_b329

Beaten to it by shermer! Would’ve been a Googlewack if thegeneralist hadn’t made up the term on STW!

tonyf1
    Free Member

I’ve got a 29er 4 bike Asgard bolted down to a purpose built patio. Advice I would give is dont just put in on some slabs. Over time the slabs will subside causing the shed to twist and you won’t be able to lock it. Shed needs to sit on a proper base.

On the security side, unless you live in a seriously dodgy area where someone can rock up with industrial angle grinder without anyone enquirying what they are up to I wouldn’t bother with an anchor. I did buy chains and an anchor but didn’t use them after a couple of weeks as it was such a hassle.

sgn23
    Free Member

I fitted the Double Doofer into my Asgard, which is sitting on my patio.
    I lifted a slab to dig a 30cm deep hole and filled it with concrete using BlueCircle ExtraRapid Cement. I left it for a few days (not 3 weeks) and then drilled the four holes into the centre of the Asgard floor (painted with anti-rust) then into the concrete.
    It’s a belt-and-brace approach, as the Asgard is high security without a ground anchor, but after having my bikes nicked from the garden shed I wanted to maximise my chances.
    A 2m Pragmasis chain fits through 3 bikes – you don’t want much slack, it makes it easier to cut if touching the floor.

dmorts

Thanks for the replies.

I asked Asgard about the effect on the anti-corrosion warranty (10 years) and got this reply

Thanks for your email and I can confirm that if you need to drill into any panel of your unit you will lose the warranty on the panel you drill into so it’s important to treat the area with a rust inhibitor to re-seal the steel.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Beaten to it by shermer! Would’ve been a Googlewack if thegeneralist hadn’t made up the term on STW!

If I hadn’t made the term up, it wouldn’t even be a word. What I should have done is asked him to do a search on tyre o crete with the spaces removed. That would have been a googlewhack.

Anyway, regarding length of chain, I still maintain that you can’t lock both wheels of multiple bikes with a 2m chain. But then that might partly be explained by the amount of chain that’s used up just going round the damn tyre. 🙄

dmorts

I still maintain that you can’t lock both wheels of multiple bikes with a 2m chain

With the shed shackle I had previously, a 2.0m chain went through the shackle and three bike frames, possibly the back wheels too. Your situation is different though.

Still not decided on what to do……

sgn23
    Free Member

Asgard’s warranty must have changed! When i asked them 2 years ago, they said that as long as i painted the holes with their recommended product, I’d still be under warranty. Got an email to prove it.
    That said, the thing could be used as a nuclear fallout bunker so four holes don’t bother it 🙂

dmorts

I was thinking the same. My shed was provided with bolts to secure it down. You have to drill the floor in order to use these!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ground or Wall Anchor in Asgard Metal Shed’ is closed to new replies.