• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ground Control 4.6" in the mud
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone running these and what d’ ya reckon?

njee20
    Free Member

Serious question… How can any 4.6″ tyre be bad in the mud? 😕

scotroutes

Wide tyres ARE bad in the mud – unless they have big knobbles on like Nates. FLOATation – is what fat tyres give you. That means you tend to skite across the mud rather than cut through it. In fact, I came off my fatbike this very afternoon due to exactly that. Time to fit the Nates I think!

Esme
    Free Member

I thought narrow tyres were better in the mud, to cut through to the solid ground below. Whereas wide tyres will slither around on the surface 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Well yes, but I rather thought there would be a limit to that. Genuinely surprised by that. Thought they’d be so soft and fat you’d be reet.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

The thing I’ve found though is that in the mud, you get such a wide footprint, giving you a much wide foot in the mud, resulting in very good grip. Though that’s just my experience!

molgrips
    Free Member

Depend on the mud I’d have thought. Some mud does not have anything solid under it, just more mud 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, the skite decription (not heard that before, but makes sense on a certain level) is pretty much what I experienced on Saturday’s ride – sudden dramatic slides, which of course is not good

Nates are OK at mud duty then?

scotroutes

Better. Like snow, mud comes in many varieties 😀 Nates will at least give you a fighting chance as the knobs will dig in a bit deeper. FWIW, assuming you are riding a Fatboy, you should be able to fit a Bud and a Lou in there?

Stevet1
    Free Member

How fat do fat bike tyres have to be before you can paddle along on top of a lake?

wwaswas

I switched from an On-One floater to a Nate at the front. Best tyre change I’ve ever made.

The floaters are fine for up hill paddle based traction but goign where you point them in the mud or on roots is not a strong point.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes scot, it’s a FB

Bud & Lou will fit I believe. These will be an improvement in the mud?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Bud up front is the best, beats a Nate, Buds roll better too, had mine on for the last few weeks – it’ll stay on until spring. Nothing grips up front like a Bud.

Esme
    Free Member

How fat do fat bike tyres have to be before you can paddle along on top of a lake?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ground Control 4.6" in the mud’ is closed to new replies.