Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ground anchor?
  • shaggy

I could do with a getting one this weekend. Needs to work in a concrete floor. Am I being silly getting something from a Screwfix/B&Q type place? Any recommendations? Is there anything substantially better that I won’t be able to get locally?

singlespeedstu

I put one of these in with chemical bolts.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-stronghold-surface-ground-anchor/
    Be easier to cut the chain but hope it never gets tested.

shaggy

Yeah, that looks great, and was pretty much my default thought. I sort of think that, perhaps, one marketed for motorbikes might be as good, cheaper and no weaker. I dunno. That’s why I asked.

I’ve got a New York chain to go through it so not too worried about that aspect.

ton
    chvck
    Free Member

I bought the same as singlespeedstu, seems to be pretty good and I don’t think anyone is likely to get through my chain in a hurry either.

davros

I got one from screwfix. Can’t see why it wouldn’t be up to the job. It’s hardened steel, it bolts into concrete. What else does it need to do?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Take a look at the chain and anchor packages they do on the Almax website.
    They’re expensive but bloody strong. I’d certainly trust them more than the Kryptonite one you linked to above.

shaggy

Yanchor is the best product name I’ve heard in ages. If only they did a double.

davros: I agree. You know how it is with this place though- someone may well tell us the errors of our ways.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I got mine from Pragmasis – seems decent quality, came with the drill bit and the resin capsules.

All I had to buy in addition was an SDS drill to get through the concrete….

jeffl

I just got a metal plate style one from screwfix, on the basis that it would deter chancers. Something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-ground-wall-anchor-black-large-160mm/8955p

daleman
    Free Member

I was looking at all of these when my garage got proken into. waste of time . go for a Oxford terrorforce (sorry cant do links)ground anchor , anything with screws bolts can be got at . Dead easy to fit if just knock a hole in the floor, some ready mix cement from B&Q anchor in hole fit and forget . Since fitting the culprits have been back but left without the bikes as the hardware required to get through the anchor and locks would need an army.

backinireland
    Free Member

I had one of these when I had a lock up in edinburgh
    https://www.ultrasecuritycentre.co.uk/red-alert-double-bridge-anchor
    Supplied with Allen key bolts which had ball bearings knocked into it
    Put a chain on it attached to a 110 defender in low range and tried to tow it out but Landrover was coming off worse.

I used almax security chain with it
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/t-lama videos

Consider where this is placed
    Garage or shed?
    What’s the door security like?
    Is the garage alarmed?
    Are there useful tools in the garage such as bolt croppers sds drill or angle grinders?

bails

I’ve got the Pragmasis one too. Didn’t need an SDS drill to fit it, my cordless hammer drill did it with a few rests to cool down.

It certainly feels solid, it won’t be coming with us when we move house! Some scumbags broke into the garage and didn’t bother trying to take the bikes, so I’ll count that as it working.

backinireland
    Free Member

When I mentioned sds dril I was thinking could a thief use it to dig the ground anchor out?

benpinnick

If any one knows who makes these from my description, let me know! Ive had a little anchor for a while and I can’t find another.

Its a brass cylinder about 2 inches long. Big hole one end, smaller hole the other. A single (but very hefty) bolt goes through the middle, using a socket to do it up.

Its got a hole on either side for a shackle or large padlock to go through.

The beauty is that the bolt is hidden only by the lock, so you can take it off easily if you want to but as soon as you add a lock then its secure.

if anyone knows where you can get them nowadays let me know. Mine is about 20 years old and moved from house to house with me!

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got a defiant ground anchor: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Anchors-and-Locks/Immobiliser-Self-Fit-Defiant-Ground-Anchor__p-71-134.aspx

Looks like this, but in black:

It has a spinning tube inside it, so even if you do get an angle grinder on it – it’s near impossible to cut through, because the tube just spins on the grinder blade.

Two holes in the ground, and then a chemical resin that sticks it in place.

Spendy, but tough as boots.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ground anchor?’ is closed to new replies.