Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Groom speech opening lines
  • organic355
    Free Member

god points, but if we wait until after the main course, I wont be able to enjoy my meal!!!

zokes
    Free Member

I think Ti29er has got funeral and wedding mixed up…

Oh no, he knows everything about weddings, and photography, don't worry. If he starts telling us how to drive we'll have found where Smee is hiding…

br
    Free Member

Went to a wedding (wifes' cousin), the groom stood up with a ream of paper in his hand and said he'd a few words to say. Half the room laughed, the other half kinda moaned – as they were the ones that knew him…

One hour later I gave up and took the kids outside to play.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Stand up and say "fat penguin." Pause and then say "somebody told me I'd need to say something that would break the ice"

mmccarthy
    Free Member

"I stand here in front of you today, because if I was behind you, you couldn't see me"

organic355
    Free Member

last 2 are funny, but maybe better for the best man?

Is it cheesey to do the receipt thing???

Speaking of bills "father of bride" has written out a receipt for me. It reads:
    Received:

One daughter in perfect condition fully guaranteed.
    Care Notes:
    – Gets bored easily
    – keep amused with a constant supply of handbags
    – & feed with Curry.
    Signed:

Not to be outdone, my mum also has a receipt for my wife to sign. It reads:
    Received:

One son, sold as seen, no refunds under any circumstances.
    I've re-decorated the room and changed the locks so you're stuck with him.
    Care Notes: de-hydrates easily, top up regularly with whisky.
    Signed:

thomthumb
    Free Member

get battered; say what you think is good at the time. 8)

Ti29er
    Free Member

There are some posts here that are happy to use hackneyed old lines and jokes from the last century, and really that's why you need to put some thought into it.

The internet will throw up some decent ideas, but everyone’s looking at the same stuff, so try and be original.

Make notes on a card, bullet points, and stick to them. Don’t deviate.
    The worst speeches I've heard are from those who deviated or had no plan and yet afterwards they really thought they’d made a good job of their speech. Little did they realise just what a dogs’ dinner they really made of it.

Stay sober. A drunk groom is a t^t.

Keep it short and stick to the salient facts. Your job is not to entertain, it’s to thank people, be humble and in awe of your beautiful bride. Then sit down. Don’t linger. And drop any reference to Bangor – it’ll go down like a led zeppelin (although, Zokes’s will giggle at the back).

There is no rule that says you can’t enjoy the speeches or that it needs to be some bear pit. You have, before you, your most loved and dearest, so be sincere and genuine, leave the p^ss taking to others, if you try and compete with the best man for the giggles or funniest lines you’ll come off worst as it’s simply not your remit to do the stand up funny man routine.

Good luck!

brakes
    Free Member

thanks Dad

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Groom speech opening lines’ is closed to new replies.