Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Groin strain, continue light riding?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Or complete rest? Took a week off, got carried away first ride back, hurt it more, rested another week. Don’t want to loose too much fitness, would light intensity riding be ok? No loss of power but feels like a dull ache like I’ve been kicked in the Crown Jewels.

scubashark
    Free Member

I’d suggest rest. Have torn one side running and pulled the other snowboarding and couldn’t even lift my foot up a kerb. The torn one took a good 8-10 months before I could do anything due to not resting. The pulled Abductor took a month to recover but I did rest.

Hope it heals quickly

ferrals
    Free Member

Go and see a physio. I had a mild groin strain, rested it, pain didn’t stop. Turned out my hip had stiffened up while healing, onesession of manipulation with the physio and I was fixed.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Depends on which part of your groin you’ve damaged.

bigblackshed

Rest it.

Ice pack, anti-inflammatories, and rest it. Heat will also help if you stiffen up. Hot bath before bed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Be rational.

Light riding will so little more than nothing to save your fitness.

Doing nothing for another few weeks will lose *** all fitness.

Why risk it?

scaredypants

feels like a dull ache like I’ve been kicked in the Crown Jewels.

Check yer sack properly – not so much in a Basso way (though that’s never time wasted) as epididymitis – you were on the ?UTI thread last week weren’t you ?

DT78
    Free Member

Yep. Seen doc. He said suspected groin strain (lower left ab / thigh / hip area) and suspected epidmistys, so on antibiotics. He said “not to go mad” exercising. On retrospect not entirely sure what that means….not mad for me would 4-5 hours of z2 stuff rather than 10hrs of proper training sprinkled with max efforts…. I felt good after last weeks rest, lots of pbs and a few Koms on the return ride, but the pain came back….so resting again 🙁

Supposed to be racing at torq end of August hence want to keep the form

I’ll track down a physio…..there is no loss of power so it must be a slight strain.

jeffl

Dr’s take it easy is based on an average person’s exercise regime, so probably equates to some light walking. Did you tell him/her how much you usually exercise?

adsh
    Free Member

I have a long standing tendency to inner thigh strain though not as high up as yours sounds.

When things start to go wrong I move to z2 steady efforts and try to ensure rides are circular or on the turbo so the minute I start to feel more than slight discomfort I can sack it.

I also use ice, ibuprofen, hot baths and gentle stretching.

If you are a vet then ignore the above and try and sort it through KOM sessions 😉 😆

Z2 is deeply unfashionable but great for maintaining aerobic fitness when knackered.

DT78
    Free Member

Tbh I was so nervous the doc’s verdict might have been more serious I kind of didn’t listen too well… I did say I was a keen cyclist but didn’t specify any more.

I think I’ll do the RICE thing and physio and trundle around slowly. I’ve dug out the winter bike in an attempt to curb any excitement.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Supposed to be racing at torq end of August hence want to keep the form

I’d view my long term health as more important

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Groin strain, continue light riding?’ is closed to new replies.