Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grizedale North Face Trail
  • mcnultycop

So I went to the lakes today to ride. The plan was to pick a route from a Lakes route book I have; however a massive tidy up as I’m selling my house meant I couldn’t find said book at 2200 last night. I decided to go and try TNF trail at Grizedale instead. I’ve read generally unfavourable reviews of the trail, but decided to go and make my own mind up. I packed an OS map, just in case it was awful.

There’s a bit of fireroad climb at the start, but then it picks up a singletrack, rocky climb. This was superb, all rideable but just techy enough to make you think. I began to wonder what people were moaning about. Then I found some fireroad, lots of it! There was one section of singletrack closed, so this meant more fireroad, but there really was a lot of fireroad. The singletrack sections in between the fireroad were great, quite natural feeling (where there weren’t Boardwalk sections), and it looks like work has been done as there are a number of freshly placed rock slab sections.

If, like at Gisburn, the fireroad sections are gradually phased out with new “proper” trail sections being cut I’d imagine TNF would be amazing. As it was it was 6km of great trails, and 12km of fireroad with nice views. I’ll go again, but I’ll get the OS map out and miss some fireroad sections out.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I keep hoping there will be further development in Grizedale, but I haven’t really heard of anything. It always seems a bit of a lost opportunity (and yes, I do know there is a lot of “natural” stuff to play on there, but sometimes waymarked trails make life easier for the time short!)

boxelder

Are you willing to pay for it? Someone will have to.
    It’s not like the 7 stanes where the trail building massively increased visitor numbers.

BenjiM

Grizedale has a multitude of natural trails that don’t require the NFT. Lot’s of routes around and about and plenty that you’ll find on t’internet. Besides, the Lake District is one big trail centre, no need to go to one that says “I’m a trail centre”!

martinhutch

The first section is great, I always use it to gain height from the VC even if I’m heading for ‘natural’ stuff.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I once did a ride around grizedale forest that included the usual bridlepaths that everyone rides along with bits of the NFT. By far the worst sections I thought were the on the NFT. This was on a wet day mind, when all the bridlepaths drained naturally and the NFT was covered in puddles – everywhere.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Did a bit of stuff round there that mostly avoided the trail centre stuff and was fantastic. Bridleway descents rocky as hell, fantastic lake views, killer hills. Screw then sanitised stuff.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some of the best riding I’ve done in the UK is around Grizedale/Claife. As others have said, the NFT stuff is great for linking other bits, gaining height away from fire-roads etc.

OP – go back with a route map and do some of the natural stuff. There are some really good routes – I think the Edge Cycleworks have some good ones on their site.

christhetall
    Free Member

The first section is great, I always use it to gain height from the VC even if I’m heading for ‘natural’ stuff.

To be fair the final section isn’t bad either, in fact all the singletrack sections are good, it’s just there’s a long and tedious fireroad section in the middle, along with a few short and tedious fireroad sections elsewhere, but at least you rarely lose height on those sections.

I tend to come in from the top end, pick up the NFT down to the cafe, then back out before going over to Parkamoor and the brilliant descent down to Nibthwaite, then on to blawith

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d say there’s scope for a REALLY good blue route, as it is the surface is a bit choppy for beginners in places and there’s too much fire road. Theres’ better riding for gnarpoonists elsewhere in the forest But it’d have to be paid for and visitor number aren’t about to surge as a result, as per boxelder really.

whitestone
    Free Member

At the moment you are going to have some fireroad sections to link things up. The NF climb up from the visitor centre is pretty good and quite technical for a trail centre climb. I’ve not done huge amounts in Grizedale but when at the top of the NFT head out to Parkamoor then turn left and back in to the forest. The Grandfather, father descent is a great natural BW then the Breasty Haw climb and the Upper Purple descent (Strava segment name, dunno if it’s called anything else) then up Low Scar

If you aren’t pushed for time then you need to do a bit of looking around armed with route maps, possibly an OS map marked with Strava segments, plus a bit of nous and willingness to investigate.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was there last weekend. It was my birthday and my wife had hired a Fatbike as a surprise.

The North Face Red is a bit dull and lacking variety. There was a section shut for repairs though. Took a little over an hour on a Fatbike.

But, the nice lady in the hire shop showed me a route on the map that took in some natural stuff up to Parkamoor that was much more like it. There was a bit of traffic from some Mountain Marathoners but the route was top notch.

The centre was good for snacks and ice cream, so start there and take in the views over Coniston.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale North Face Trail’ is closed to new replies.