Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • grizedale in august. bike hire question
  • svensvenson

Well the title says it all really.

I’m going to be there for work for a week, I can swing 1 or 2 days off and figured I’d take my riding gear and hire a bike. Anybody on here got any recommendations?

Bike hire and/or routes, everything helps.

I’ve never ridden there before, but I’m based on the mont ventoux, so I’m not (foolishly probably) too afraid of hills…

Thanks.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Grizedale is ok. There is a bike shop that hires bikes (probably better to try a demo bike as they’re better than the hire fleet) and the cafe isn’t too bad. Be aware that it might be busy with kids and families during August.

Whinlatter is only 45-60mins away and has a better selection of trails from the bike shop (Cyclewise). Cyclewise also hire bikes and have a selection of demo bikes that are a better spec.

If I was you I’d head to Whinlatter.

svensvenson

Thanks Gastromonkey, that’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Well, to counterpoint…

Hired a Demo Fatbike last year at Grizedale. Was told not to bother with the marked routes and they marked a map with some off piste stuff that was very entertaining.

The only problem was a lot of runners doing an event who got in the way and were very miserable.

Did the red route to finish off. Not at all technical, and quite short.

But I had a good day.

2 days? Do both!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Do both is a great shout.

I’d be tempted to hire a bike from one of the town bike shops in Keswick or Ambleside and do some of the natural trails. The lakes has so much to offer.

Better still, stay on for a few days after work and do both trail centres and some natural stuff.

martinhutch

Get the Vertebrate Graphics Lakes guide, loads of good routes in Grizedale and the surrounding area. South Lakes will have all you need, you shouldn’t need to get up to Whinlatter.

ampthill

If you don’t need to follow signs on a premade loop head for Ambleside and maybe demo a bike from Bike Treks. Good options riding from the shop and I’m sure they will sort you a route

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘grizedale in august. bike hire question’ is closed to new replies.