Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • gripshift vs rapids
  • woodsie
    Free Member

hi all, how have you found using sram gripshift? im going to upgrade my basic alivio shifters soon and would appreciate some thoughts 🙂

charliedontsurf

Not a fan. I like shifters not to be part of the grip. Grips are for gripping, shifters for shifting if you see what I mean.

float
    Free Member

you cant brake and change gear at the same time with them.

woodsie
    Free Member

true…..i`ve always used rapids from alivio currently to xtr in the past, but do shake things up now and again though…..

I have both – the SRAM X0’s are phenomenal with an X0 mech – no comparison to RF and two moving parts; the outer and a spring. Open a RF and you’re in a world of trouble. The XO’s are also cheap(er) and very light. Many here will probably cite the mysterious mis-shifting with gripshift; I’ve never experienced this.

mintimperial

I like them both, it’s all good.

Sorry, that’s not very helpful is it? 🙂

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

I had Gripshift back on my 1st Mountainbike in 1995. Thought they were ok. Then when that bike was stolen the insurance replacement had RFs, which were head and shoulders over the Gripshift, so I’ve never gone back.

To be fair, I wasn’t comparing like with like model wise, but only marginally. The Gripshifts were 400 series (STX equivalent), the RFs were LX.

woodsie
    Free Member

as i said its good to shake things up now and again :lol:if i try it`s going the way of sram x9 all the way !!!!! xo if im really lucky

shortcut

Been using gripshift for years. And love them. Why change gear when braking? That would mean you’re pedalling which seems odd!

Is gripshift 10 speed out yet????

xcneil
    Free Member

Grip shift here would’nt go back to RF’s

Wally

GRip Shift here too, XO and XO rear all cheap 2nd hand. Work A1. Multiple gear dumps either way, light and tidy. Seem very tough.

schmiken

X.0 Gripshift on all the bikes. Very intuitive and big rapid shifts up and down the block.
    Miles better and a lot different from the ‘cheap’ Gripshift that most riders say they hate. X.0 has a stronger spring and more clunky shift to it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I love both, the haters make strange claims dont they.

For economic reasons id stick permanently to gripshift (X0 are perfect X9 are great but the rubber grip is less comfy/ergo), but they only thing that holds me back is a lack of compatible & comfortable grips to go with the shifters.
    Not a fan of slicing grips to fit

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

Why change gear when braking? That would mean you’re pedalling which seems odd!

Say, you’re riding a downhill trail which has a sharp corner at the bottom followed by a climb.

If I were riding it, I’d be braking for the corner while slowly spinning the cranks a couple of times to get into gear for the climb.

If you’re braking you’re slowing down, which either means the gear you’re in is too high, or the gear you in was too low.

STATO
    Free Member

If I were riding it, I’d be braking for the corner while slowly spinning the cranks a couple of times to get into gear for the climb.

If you’re braking you’re slowing down, which either means the gear you’re in is too high, or the gear you in was too low.

Still possible to shift XO grip shift 1 gear at time while braking, do it all the time. Mind, based on the noises i heard at the STW weekender on the climbs, most folk cant remember to change gear before a hill even if they are riding straight at it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

you can also just use the rear brake and shift the rear mech, no prob.

mattbee

Been on Gripshift since the days of SR800 X Ray jobbies.
    I’ve had XO shifters since they first came out, indeed the pair on my winter bike are that first set. Never had any maintenance bar a few new cables and they just work. Hardly ever need fiddling with and the ability to trim the front mech position is great.
    I use lock on grips, they are available in short lengths for Gripshift use, just easier to get online.

Wally

ESI silicon grips cut down ace. Perfect match in diameter, all soft joins. Last ages.

Marge
    Free Member

Only quite recently (1yr) I thought to try X0 grip shifts for the first time as I found a derrie & shifter deal super-cheap online 🙂
    I’ve ridden just about every Shimano combination & currently have XT & XTR fitted on my other bikes.

I love the grip-shifts….

Really positive shifting, and very effective when you want to grab a gear unexpectedly as there is no need to reposition the hands / fingers. Not quite as fast or smooth as the RF’s on the upshift.
    I feel.

I read this week that SRAM have finally decided to bring out a 10spd gripshift for 2012. Great news.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m still using Gripshift X-Rays! Love them.

I have XT RF on one bike and I love them too.

And I have Thumbies on another – they’re brilliant!

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM Grip Shift are far better than their triggers, Shimano triggers are on par with GS IMO.

woodsie
    Free Member

thanks all for the input…… 😛 im on the look for current deals….

schmiken

+1 on the ESI Chunkys.

lovewookie

Gripshift on a rapid rise mech here. Haven’t owned a bike with RF on it as I don’t get on with them at all.

With the RR mech you can shift into a larger sprocket with a forward motion which means you’re moving your fingers further over the brake lever, which is nice…

sefton
    Free Member

I love my 0x grips!!! dont think I’ll ever go rf.

dump the cassette in one turn, cheap, light and very reliable/simple – whats not to like????

hang on some cheap shitty halfrauds bikes come with grip shifts 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gripshifts are good – easier to change multiple gears, you can trim the front mech to avoid rub and its perfectly possible to change gear when braking – infact its easier IME

D0NK

Have used GS in the past, shift lots of gears at once and friction front mech is nice. Don’t think I’d put one on a DH/mince-core/freelite/messing about bike tho, heaving about on the bars can end up with miss shifts IME.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Anyone remember that old advert from the mid 90s, comparing stripped down versions of the grip shift and rapid-fire shifters?

Sticks in my mind as a good point well made. Not used grip shift for years, but fancy giving them another go to be honest. Like the simplicity.

brassneck

X0 shifters plus Nokons plus X9 rear mech (I’m not made of money :-)) mean trouble free smooth shifting for years. There may be the odd situation where changing down when braking is a little more awkward, but you adapt and the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I prefer Shimano Dual controls! But I would defo go with rapid fire.

njee20
    Free Member

Gripshift on a rapid rise mech here

That limits you a) to older Shimano mechs and b) to Attack/Rocket shifters. IMO the X.0s are nicer.

IanW
    Free Member

I use XO gripshifts with cut down ergons work really well together. Bought them on a whim, better than RF IMO.

franki
    Free Member

I managed ok with Gripshift on my old Klein Pulse, but I think I prefer rapidfire.
    My brother though, has always loved Gripshift and has ditched the rapidfires on his current bike to go back to twisties.

lovewookie

That limits you a) to older Shimano mechs and b) to Attack/Rocket shifters. IMO the X.0s are nicer.

yep, but XTR mechs last me about 5 years! (about 3 years if they’re not RR)

Matt24k
    Free Member

I love my SRAM Attack grip shifter with XT f & r mech combo. Especially the fact that I can trim the front mech to stop any chain rub. I find them really intuative and there is nothing complex inside.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just a tip for anyone out there with big sweaty hands like me who finds the attack grips too small – swap them for a pair of chunky XO grips. Yes I know the internals are different (pull ratios an all) but the rubber grips are interchangeable between XO and Attack.

And, Ergon do specific gripsift grips that are shorter than their standard models.

kizzly
    Free Member

I never got on with RF, shifting hands around on the bars for trials play meant I was constantly changing gear without wanting to, and they just felt flexy and breakable in comparison.

Gripshift all the way – that said it should only ever be run with full width grips – perfect spacing for me, unbreakable, clean bar layout, one finger braking. Done.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SRAM Grip Shift are far better than their triggers, Shimano triggers are on par with GS IMO.

Odly, I hate shimano shifters after a few years on SRAM attack/rockets.

The absence of rapid rise mechs was the nail in the cofin for my shimano usage.

I like that SRAM shifters let you shift either way with your thumb or down a gear with your knuckle on climbs.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘gripshift vs rapids’ is closed to new replies.