• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by PTR.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Grip Shifts on Kids Bikes
  • gearfreak
    Free Member

The last session at our kids club was about ‘understanding fitness’ so I was mainly working on getting the kids to feel the difference in riding in different gears, how it affects cadence, breathing, tiredness etc.

However most of the kids were really struggling to actually change gear, universally they had grip shifts. The weather was wetter than an otters pocket, so wet cold hands. The bikes were mainly a mix of Ridgebacks, Saracens etc, so fairly ‘good’ quality kids bikes. I could change gear fairly easily on the bikes, so although shiny new cables might help a little, the strength required to change gear would be back after a few rides.

Has anyone got any experience of kids and trigger shifters. I know the accepted wisdom is that kids don’t have the finger/thumb strength for these, but has your little ripper got them and do they make a difference?

DI2 would of course be an alternative, but a little pricey 😉

I actually think old style thumbies would be best as then the kids could use their whole hand to shift gear, but not really available at a reasonable price anymore.

jameso

Triggers are still hard for them, but with good cables it’s not too bad and only harder one way. Thumbies take a bit more shove ime. Thumb strength is better in the playstation-generation anyway )

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about this too. Gripshift on my eldest’s Islabike is always difficult for him to shift, particularly to get it into the biggest sprocket. The size of the shifter is just too big for him to get a good purchase on (as you say, particularly when wet/muddy). At least a trigger can be shoved with something (thumb, whole hand, knee!), but the gripshift relies on being able to grip it (duh… obviously) and move it.

It’s 8spd and I’ve got some 8spd shimano shifters and mech somewhere so I think I’ll give them ago. I’ve also got some 7spd thumbies which might work with the old hidden click. Plus I think I’ve got enough Gore sealed cable trimmings and cast offs to bodge some better cabling for it.

robsoctane
    Free Member

gearfreak – Member

The last session at our kids club was about ‘understanding fitness’ so I was mainly working on getting the kids to feel the difference in riding in different gears, how it affects cadence, breathing, tiredness etc.

Hi Gearfreak, can you please tell me how different gears effect tiredness? Genuinely interested…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Shimano Revoshifters give the lightest action of any ‘gripshift’ and don’t cost too much. Some of the cheap twist shifts are really dire.

I swapped the shifters on my son’s 24 inch wheeled bike from twist to rapidfire and he still rode everywhere in the same gear. We had BIG arguements over that. When he graduated to a 26er I built it singlespeed and he loved it. It’s now 1×8 but only because I took him to Innerleithen.

gearfreak
    Free Member

@robsoctane

Not my area of expertise, I’m not a performance coach, some info below, you can find lots more, most of it contradictory!

http://www.beatyourpb.com/profiles/blogs/force-production-and-fatigue

Why introduce it to kids. Just to get them thinking about what they are doing really, encourage them to change gear and to think about leg speed and how it makes a difference.

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 5 and 7 year old both have been running shimano triggers for about a year with a lot more success than the gripshifts they had on previously – they’re both on 20″ wheel scott voltages

They do tend to stick in the same gear a lot, but when we’re out together I just tell then to use the big thumb shifter or the little trigger, the eldest does change on his own accord more

If you take them places with big hills they’ll get the idea

They’re both some old 9 speed set ups I had lying around

DezB
    Free Member

My mate got a Shimano Thumbie shifter for his kid’s bike – like This

Very light action. Kid finds it much easier than the gripshift.
    Not sure if you can get 8 or 9 speed though.

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

Also check you might not need to change the rear mech, I got a way with it on both of mine 1st gear is pretty tight but its do-able, will depend on what your starting off with though

br
    Free Member

Try pushing a trigger with your little finger, and it’ll give you an idea how easy it is for a kid. My son had gripshift on his first couple of bikes, and now triggers – but they just don’t seem to have the strength/technique/want…

TiRed

Gripshift was easier than trigger for mine. And “forwards to go faster” was easier to teach. Try a little lubrication, perhaps.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My 6 year old has never had issues with the Sram mech and gripshift on her Islabike, even when wet and cold. Maybe it is just stiff cables?

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

Just asked my eldest (7) and he said he prefers the trigger shifter as “its easier to push down and up than twist around” so I guess its personal preference

PTR
    Free Member

After much thought and consulatation on here, I chsnged my son’s Isla Bike to sram triggers earlier this year. He was six at the time, he thinks they are great, better than gripshift, and he actually uses the gears now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Grip Shifts on Kids Bikes’ is closed to new replies.