Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grinding teeth possibly causing migraines
  • devon_roadie
    Free Member

I suffer from migraines from time to time and this week it’s been very bad. I’ve got a feeling I may grind my teeth as I’ve had broken teeth before, but my dentist has never said anything. I’ve also had jaw pain.

Has anyone had a mouthguard made for them by their dentist? Did it improve things? I’m with an nhs dentist

SidewaysTim

Yep get one made. It’s stress rather than the grinding itself that causes the migraines, but a guard will stop you wearing your teeth away and stop the jaw pain. Been there and done that.

scaredypants

headaches, maybe – migraines, doubtful IMO

(not sure “they” know what the real mechanism really is, but there is generally thought to be one (or more))

if yer grinding due to stress, maybe that’d be a factor – or if the grinding is affecting the quality of your sleep

skiboy
    Free Member

had a ‘silent night’ bite guard in the post his morning, sometimes i wake up with my teeth gritted so hard my jaw hurts, other times i actually wake up still clenched,

I was in the dentists two days ago having a bit of repair work done, my dentist is so impressed by my bite, i have previously chipped and broken my porcelain bridge and smashed several teeth, he suggested a bite guard, bit of internet searching found these, amazon sell them:

http://www.biteguard.co.uk/

I went for the top of the range jobby, they are really small !!, first go tonight… as i’m typing this I’m grinding !!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes had this done. I was clenching and grinding my teeth so much i was getting earaches.
    Its mainly down to stress, but the guard helps prevent the jaw fully closing and straining nerves and muscles.
    It worked for me, but I dont use it anymore as I stopped chomping so much.

Cougar

Remove sources of stress / cut down on caffiene perhaps?

Xylene
    Free Member

Stop necking so many E’s

Hohum
    Free Member

😆 @ Quirrel.

Good old bruxism.

I suffer from it and so does my son.

I had it really bad in my final year at university and my jaw went funny as well. Still get it now 15 years later at times.

A bite guard will help. I remember looking at mine 6 months after starting with it and seeing the grooves my teeth had created in it.

devon_roadie
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, might have to get one of those biteguards!

As for stress I don’t have any major reasons to be stressed but I do suffer from anxiety/depression so I am more sensitive to it. I don’t consume much caffiene.

skiboy
    Free Member

got to say the dentist don’t think it’s due to stress, i certainly don’t harbour much stress, do have around 3-4 mugs of tea a day though,

do like the comment from quirrel though, made me chuckle 😀

Trekster

Suffered from headaches for years until I had to have one of my big back teeth remove. Headaches suddenly stopped. Missalignment of jawbone cuased by teeth had been the problem apparently.

Xylene
    Free Member

do like the comment from quirrel though, made me chuckle

If I wasn’t such a respected pillar of society, I might mention dozing off after particularly heavy sessions when I was younger to be awoken by a strange sound, which on investigation was my teeth grinding. Nowt like gurning to remove some enamel.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I started grinding my teeth about 6 months ago, but have virtually no stress in my life, that I’m aware of. Certainly my circumstances haven’t changed that much, I earn more money and have less debt and less overheads than 12 months ago. My job is much more secure than it was 12 months ago. I can’t explain it at all, but now have to stick two pieces of plastic in my mouth every night, a filling has fallen out and as a result I’m very stessed about it all 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

For me personally deep-rooted, almost sub-conscious stress/anxiety was the real underlying cause I reckon.

University and the stuff that was going family-wise caused me a lot of stress and then a new stressful job wasn’t a help.

And even now. I left a job I hated and I am 95% of the way of turning my conditional job offer into an unconditional job offer, but I still have the worry of the big responsibility of looking after my wife and children.

Good luck with it though mate as it isn’t much fun.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grinding teeth possibly causing migraines’ is closed to new replies.