Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Grenfell Task Force
  • theotherjonv

Hallelujah, we’re all saved

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40504145

K&CC don’t strike me as competent for sure, but I’m not convinced the government are any better.

Who is? I’d be looking to get some of the major charity (Red Cross, Oxfam, those used to dealing with disaster relief stuff) in on secondment myself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In their deffence a contingency for something like this isn’t ecomnimical or practical. They couldn’t just have a spare towerblock on stanby in every council area could they?

Ironic capitalist anecdote of the morning: Watched a homeless guy being evicted from a Dwell cardboard box in Westminster this morning by three policemen.

binners

It’ll make sod all difference. Just replacing one lot with more of the same. The attitude towards them…. seeing these people as an inconvenience, and an irritant, rather than as traumatised victims will continue.

What this whole debacle continues to shout from the rooftops about the society we live in is frankly disgusting

This article in the Guardian the other day perfectly summarises the attitude of those in authority to large chunks of society, and particularly the kind of people who inhabit social housing.

How power operates in modern Britain: with absolute contempt

kimbers

Watched a homeless guy being evicted from a Dwell cardboard box in Westminster this morning by three policemen.

At my local station homeless people are a terror threat, machine guns required to disperse them

http://www.mkfm.com/news/local-news/sleeping-bags-of-three-homeless-people-taken-by-police-at-mk-station/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Damned if they don’t do something, damned if they do.

binners

Bloody uppity peasants eh? Expecting some kind of effective reaction from the authorities to a catastrophic event involving a huge and totally avoidable loss of life, that’s left them traumatised and homeless?

They’re probably all communists

kimbers

4 weeks on Sajid Javid actually looks more clueless than ever

still does not know how and why illegal cladding used on so many blocks

slowster
    Free Member

4 weeks on Sajid Javid actually looks more clueless than ever

still does not know how and why illegal cladding used on so many blocks

I have not watched the interview, but if Peston’s article is an accurate summary, then that is staggering incompetence on Javid’s part. I think that most people involved in the construction industry in specifying cladding and in the fire safety industry already know what the likely cause of this problem is, which is that there is the scope to misinterpret Approved Document B of the Building Regs as to when combustible cladding may be used, and possibly also to place reliance on small scale surface spread of flame fire tests when they are not a reliable indicator of how products will perform in a major fire.

I have no doubt that the issues have already been explained in layman’s terms in meetings/presentations to Javid, his fellow ministers and the senior civil servants of their respective departments by experts from the BRE. If Javid cannot now articulate in an interview a succinct summary of what he has been told by the experts, even in very vague general terms to avoid prejudicing any future criminal prosecutions, then he simply should not be a minister.

eulach

I don’t s’pose anyone will make any profit from removing and replacing the non-compliant cladding…will they?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hopefully no one will earn any wages either as all the work will be done by volunteers using donated equipement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Grenfell Task Force’ is closed to new replies.