Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Green Party is like a car crash…
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say 70mpg was pretty poor for a one person vehicle. You can easily get 40-50 from 4/5 seater car (Although most are driven with only one occupant, which is why the greens are actually promoting the use of motorbikes, Just not high power ones). AIUI They are targeting all inefficient vehicles including bikes and cars. No need to start with just one.

kayla1
    Free Member

Awesome use of Conservative-biased linkage there, Mr Woppit.

nickjb
    Free Member

What Green Governance actually looks like…

Did you read it? That’s enough of a gibbering rant for at least an 8 on here.

Northwind

nickjb – Member

I’d say 70mpg was pretty poor for a one person vehicle. You can easily get 40-50 from 4 seater (Although most are driven with only one occupant).

A bike’s a 2 person vehicle normally. Though as you say the more important part is actual use not maximum capacity. But like I say, mpg isn’t that useful a measurement for bikes especially in towns where they spend so much less time doing 0mpg.

No doubt at all that they could be better though. The modification culture doesn’t help- it’s environmental madness to put a catalytic convertor on a bike if the owner just takes it off and fits a race can frinstance. But the slacker emissions regs and consumer desires mean that bikes have lagged.

The other thing you really have to do is compare like with like. A 600 sports bike always gets compared to a family car which is silly- it should be compared with a sports car.

molgrips
    Free Member

It probably depends on how you choose to measure it but as my 750cc bike returns fuel economy of over 70mpg

As said – for carrying one person at or around the speed limit, it ought to be way better than that. Engine and aerodynamic improvements would be on top of the urban driving efficiencies mentioned.

Has anyone ever marketed a motorbike for environmental reasons? Does anyone buy one for this reason? If someone started making and marketing them as such, perhaps it might make a more positive impact than they already does.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’d say 70mpg was pretty poor for a one person vehicle. You can easily get 40-50 from 4 seater (Although most are driven with only one occupant).

If you are going to claim that a car is 4 person vehicle then you’d have to put motorbikes as two person vehicles. You’d also struggle to find a car that can do 40-50 easily on anything other than a motorway/dual carriageway cruise.

No need to start with just one

No need perhaps however you’d get a lot more “bang for your buck” by starting with cars, not least because there are more of them.

As said – for carrying one person at or around the speed limit, it ought to be way better than that.

It’s way better than any car can achieve and lest be honest, most car journey do not involve them carrying 4 people.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’d also struggle to find a car that can do 40-50 easily on anything other than a motorway/dual carriageway cruise

40-50mpg? You seriously think that’s unachievable off a motorway?

I drove through heavy traffic across Cardiff and back in an old auto Passat – got 40mpg!

It’s way better than any car can achieve

Rubbish!

gonefishin
    Free Member

40-50mpg? You serious?

When you include commuting, and all the stop start that involves driving around a town, yes. Oh and if we’re going to compare like with like, petrol engined too.

drove through heavy traffic across Cardiff and back in an old auto Passat – got 40mpg!

It’s way better than any car can achieve

Rubbish!

So less than than 70 then?

nickjb
    Free Member

Both car and big bike are bad that is why both will be targeted. A bike might be slightly better than a car for some journeys at the moment but that doesn’t make it good.

A bit like asking would you prefer a kick in shins or in the nuts. The kick in the shins is preferable but if there is a third, less harmful option, as there is with transportation then that should be the one we consider.

D0NK

I think they would find very stiff opposition to this due to the lobbying power of motor manufacturers.

I don’t think the greens care TBH

but that’s offset by their natural advantages

if you’re commuting yeah you’ll piss all over single occupancy car use. Travelling at none commuting times vs a car full of people it doesn’t appear to look too good (from the viewpoint of near total ignorance) Shouldn’t motorbikes be able to be much more efficient on a per passenger basis. (or are there already super eco bikes out there but that no-one worth their leathers will actually ride?)

nickjb
    Free Member

So less than than 70 then?

That was in answer to your incredulity at my 40-50 claim. He managed it an old, heavy, auto car. It can easily be done in a smaller modern car, and more.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you include commuting, and all the stop start that involves driving around a town, yes.

You’re wrong. Loads of cars can do 40-50 round town.

Your motorbike does 70 in urban commuting?

or are there already super eco bikes out there but that no-one worth their leathers will actually ride?

This is the point I was trying to make, rather than getting into a scrap. I want to see someone try to make the most efficient engine powered two wheeled vehicle possible, just to see what can be done.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yeah, there are some super-dull Hondas 700/750s that do a squillion mpg but nobody with a functioning adrenal gland would want to ride one for fun.

gonefishin
    Free Member

That’s a rough average that includes urban commuting, yes.

I want to see someone try to make the most efficient engine powered two wheeled vehicle possible, just to see what can be done

Well that would be an electric powered one which aren’t, or don’t seem to be, as available in the UK as in other parts of the world.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Liberal-based linkage.

Still looks like a bunch of cranks squabbling about nothing, to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/15/greens-blown-it-in-brighton

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Mine doesn’t but like I say, it’s a sports bike so comparing it with an economy car is silly.

But my old 125? No problem at all, despite it being ancient and shit. A fuel tank smaller than a jerry can is kind of a statement of intent 🙂

The current Honda Forza does 122.8mpg, I can’t find an urban figure but it’ll drop off much less than a car.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s a rough average that includes urban commuting, yes.

How much urban commuting?

Mine doesn’t but like I say, it’s a sports bike so comparing it with an economy car is silly.

Well yes and no. The fact that it’s a sports bike is the issue – where are the economy bikes? Motorbikes aren’t an econonmy solution as long as manufacturers are creating and selling them for the RRROOOAAARRR! instead of the greens.

Seems to me that the small utilitarian bikes all seem to be un-faired, which probably doesn’t help.

gonefishin
    Free Member

How much urban commuting?

Dunno, I don’t keep a breakdown of miles commuting in urban, commuting in non urban, general riding urban, general riding non urban. Bikes aren’t stationary as often as cars are so the urban average is bound to be closer to the overall than a car. In comparison, my car will average about 24 mpg doing similar driving.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Well yes and no. The fact that it’s a sports bike is the issue – where are the economy bikes?

Everywhere! Over half of all motorbikes sold annually are 125cc or lower. And that’s disregarding the economic larger capacity bikes. The most popular ptw in the UK claims 130mpg.

Fairings actually make very little difference except to comfort/weatherproofing, at least at legal speeds.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Liberal-based linkage.

That paints a rather different picture to your previous one which used remarkably puerile right-wing terminology such as “eco-comrades”. Why do right-wing ranters both here and the United States use such childish schoolyard taunting language? Is making their point in a grow-up sensible manner really beyond their capability?

And yes the Green minority administration in Brighton has had some issues as that dated Guardian link points out. However a more recent analysis in a non-political manner, if you accept that Lord Ashcroft is capable of that, suggests a reasonable level of satisfaction from Green voters in Brighton :

Green Party to hold Brighton Pavilion in 2015 General Election

The polling puts the Green Party ten points ahead of Labour (38 to Labour’s 28%).

If this is reflected in the May general election it will represent a huge increase in support for the Green Party in Brighton.

You might think that they are “a bunch of cranks squabbling about nothing” but many voters in Brighton, which you felt was important to draw our attention to, don’t appear to agree with you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not read the Greens manifesto but are they going to target powerful cars and gas guzzling 4 wheel drives. I think they would find very stiff opposition to this due to the lobbying power of motor manufacturers.

Won’t please the farmers ?

I have a “gas guzzling” sports car on which I have to pay £500 a year road tax. The car does 2,500 miles a year so actually does less environmental damage than a 1.3L driven more often

molgrips
    Free Member

The car does 2,500 miles a year so actually does less environmental damage than a 1.3L driven more often

But more than a 1.3l driven 2,500 miles?

nickjb
    Free Member

Everywhere! Half of all motorbikes sold annually are 125cc or lower. And that’s disregarding the economic larger capacity bikes. The most popular ptw in the UK claims 130mpg.

So it wouldn’t be a difficult shift. I’m sure if legislation came in the manufacturers would would put more effort into making fun economical machines, too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting comments posted above about the impact of the interview on Green voters. Having thought about it most of their likely voters won’t actually care, I suspect they don’t really care about whether policies are costed or not, they just care about the policy and take the view the money will be found from somewhere.

We need more social housing and we certainly need to stop selling off that which we do have (happening aggressively in London where Labour boroughs are selling to developers). We also need to address lifelong security of tenure, in South West London (eg Pimlico, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea) there is lots of social housing. Once people get a place they don’t move, why would they even when their kids have gone and they retire, they are living in a place costing 15-20% of the market rent ? These places need to be freed up for people who work in central London and need social housing provision, large family apartments need to be freed up for families and not kept by retirees.

DaRC_L

My main problem with the Greens is that they seem willing to sacrifice the ecology for idealism…
    i.e. the increased traffic pollution in Brighton due to the road changes which don’t understand traffic flow and are cosmetic ideas,
    the inept implementation of cycle lanes that seem more aimed at killing cyclists
    and their complete meltdown when it comes to implementing recycling

As someone whose life is Brighton based (i.e. an ex-Brighton resident who can no longer afford to live there) and someone who is committed to environmental causes would I vote Green?
    Not from what I’ve seen so far.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But more than a 1.3l driven 2,500 miles?

I think the differential even with both driven 2,500 is quite minor on the grand scheme of things. My car already contributes in terms of tax with the amount of VAT paid when new and the fact it uses roughly double the amount fuel so that’s a lot more fuel duty and VAT which can be spent on projects. All this environmental justification is nonsense, its just an excuse to raise taxes. If you want to impact the environment look at the major factors like domestic heating or the growth in the big polluters like India and China. Why not look at the move to internet shopping which has seen a huge increase in goods shipped by road to individual addresses ? Having a pop at airport expansion and “gas guzzling” cars is missing the point entirely.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DaRC, yup agreed. My daughter and her husband live in Brighton and share your views.

kimbers

Jenny Jones did not do the party any favours yesterday on newsnight
    Evan Davis was bending over backwards to be nice to her and polite about Natalie Bennets earlier cock up

Jones came across as petulant and defensive when her party were being cut way more slack by Davis than any other party would get

Jamby, all local councils will keep selling off housing stock and cutting other services until the government stops hammering their finances and actually take sthe lead on the housing crisis, which will never happen as everything theyve done seems to be about engineering another housing boom!

wilburt
    Free Member

I didn’t leave a 30mph zone with my last tank of fuel and got 47.2mpg measured by fill to fill. Exactly the same on the computer btw. The wife’s car says it’s doing 53mpg I doubt it’s been reset in months and is mixed local and country roads.
    The difference between bike and car is probably marginal and arguing between them is just a distraction to the actual point.

richmtb

Pesky bloody Greens with their “ideals” and “principles”

Meanwhile the proper politicians have to get on with the important business of running the country and getting caught by undercover reporters selling parliamentary access for money.

jota180
    Free Member

In all the years I’ve owned and ridden motorbikes on the road (nearly 40) i dont think I’ve ever calculated the mpg, it’s it’s irrelevant to me and pretty much every other motorcyclist i know.
    they’re toys for the most part for me, eaking out fuel would defeat the main purpose of them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why do right-wing ranters both here and the United States use such childish schoolyard taunting language?

oooOOOhh.

but many voters in Brighton, which you felt was important to draw our attention to, don’t appear to agree with you.

At least two on here, do. What’s your point, caller?

nickjb
    Free Member

In all the years I’ve owned and ridden motorbikes on the road (nearly 40) i dont think I’ve ever calculated the mpg, it’s it’s irrelevant to me and pretty much every other motorcyclist i know.
    they’re toys for the most part for me, eaking out fuel would defeat the main purpose of them.

Probably one of the reasons the manufactures haven’t really worried about it and the very poor mpg figures quoted. Hence the need for a bit of carrot and stick to make some changes

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

I think the differential even with both driven 2,500 is quite minor on the grand scheme of things

It is, but that just starts the other argument which is that building a car and having it drive 2500 miles a year is environmentally terrible. And generally financially too. That’s not a criticism of you btw!

Like, my dad’s car’s almost 10 years old and has 9000 miles on the clock. That makes the cost of ownership terrible, he could have hired cars or taken taxis for every one of those miles and saved a fortune, and it’d be better environmentally. But we’re a nation of car drivers, in a country built for cars, my dad just wouldn’t be without a car even though it barely moves.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

“but many voters in Brighton, which you felt was important to draw our attention to, don’t appear to agree with you.”

At least two on here, do. What’s your point, caller?

Seriously? You can’t understand the point I’m making? 😕

I would have thought that it was self-explanatory…….ie, many voters in Brighton don’t appear to agree with you. And in sufficient numbers it would appear to give the Greens an increased majority in May’s election.

I’m not sure why you think the fact that you have found two Brighton voters who don’t support the Greens somehow makes that comment less valid. No one has suggested that every single voter in Brighton will be voting Green.

winston
    Free Member

Most motorcycles are not ridden very far each year
    Those that are generally get ridden slowly as commuters and achieve good mpg
    Motorbikes use a lot less fossil fuel to construct as they contain far far fewer parts
    Motorbikes last longer than cars (see the 90’s bike thread!), contribute less to congestion and take up less space when parked.

And there really aren’t very many of us anyway – have you seen how difficult it is to get a license these days?

Like many things, the perception often trumps reality – probably best to concentrate on the things that really matter.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Like many things, the perception often trumps reality – probably best to concentrate on the things that really matter.

They have 15 paragraphs in their policy document about cars and 3 about motorcycles – it seems they agree with you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It is, but that just starts the other argument which is that building a car and having it drive 2500 miles a year is environmentally terrible. And generally financially too. That’s not a criticism of you btw!

I appreciate that and I don’t take it as a personal dig, I’d love to be able to use it more but congestion / parking issues means it’s not used so much. Bizarrely taxing the car £500 makes me want to use it more.

molgrips
    Free Member

they’re toys for the most part for me

Great, but some people might use them for transport. Hell, I might, if it would do 200mpg.

Motorbikes last longer than cars

This debate is muddied. Motorcycles can be eco friendly if you buy one and use it all year instead of a car. If you still own a car, and use your motorbike to commute occasionally and to razz round the countryside on the weekend, this is not eco friendly 🙂

DaRC_L

Pesky bloody Greens with their “ideals” and “principles”

Except they’re not Green ideals or principles they are (as the Grauniad article points out) Red or Orange ideals and principles – which means they are just as unprincipled as any other politician.

Edit – except in Brighton they do seem to have engaged young people in voting; it might not be Green but it is radical which is what those Brightonians like (I think)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Green Party is like a car crash…’ is closed to new replies.