Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Green Man vs End of the Road
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

We have been going to the Green Man festival for quite a few years now but thinking of a change for next year.Has anyone been to both Green Man and End of the Road and could offer a comparison.Thanks Ed

BlobOnAStick

Hey Ed,

Why the decision to change?

I went for the first time this year. There were a few highlights that made it worthwhile but I found the choices for headliners each night a little off the boil compared to other festivals. Was it not really up to scratch this year or is there another reason?

Blobster

lucky7500

I’ve been to End of the Road quite a lot but not Green Man so possibly not that much help but I would say that EOTR has become spectacularly middle class. Also, pretty much everyone there appears to go to bed at 10.30 – 11.00pm!

Ed2001
    Free Member

Certainly last few years have had more appropriate headliners, last years were particularly good.Its a great festival that I love but we go as a family and I know they were a little underwhelmed.( Laura Marling and James Blake good great even ,but festival headliners?)
    I think particularly last year they blew the budget on headliner and this year they spent less.Maybe spending the budget across all the stages or on the changes to the festival- eg new far out stage or saving some for 15th anniversary.

CountZero

I don’t see any reason why Laura Marling shouldn’t be a headline act, especially at a small festival like Green Man, especially when Joanna Newsom closes EOTR; I would argue that Laura has a much higher profile, while Lush are drawing big audiences here and in the US, Battles, James Blake, Belle & Sebastian and Grandaddy have got to be at least on a par with Bat For Lashes, Cat Power and Savages.
    Certainly the crowd were loving both Lush and Laura Marling, Laura in particular did as good as set as I’ve ever seen, which is six or seven times, including the Royal Albert Hall, which makes her a headline act in my book.
    It was my first Green Man this year, I’ll be booking an early-bird ticket for next year.
    Having said that, EOTR has a very good line-up, with Teenage Fanclub, Scritti Politti, King Gizzard…, who was terrific at GM, Field Music, and the others listed.

redstripe
    Free Member

The oh-sees are at eotr this year,and closeby to us, love to see them but £195, no day tickets, hard to justify really

BlobOnAStick

Yeah. I was very impressed with Laura Marling – have been for years. But it felt a bit flat for the end if the night when you compare it to the energy within the audience after, say, White Denim. I just found it a bit strange to finish with an artist who is undoubtedly skilled but quite low energy that’s all…..

Ed2001
    Free Member

I think we just need a change, that was our 5th Green Man, having been consecutively to th last 4 and as Blob said found Laura Marling and James Blake a bit flat as last acts on mountain stage.Which is a shame they are both great acts.We thought it was just us but it’s interesting that Blob felt the same and you did get that sense in the crowd ,certainly near us…which you didn’t see with Belle and Sebastian.It is a great festival and I know you will enjoy yourself Next year..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Get yaself to ynot festival with us weird Derbyshire folk. A lot cheaper as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Green Man vs End of the Road’ is closed to new replies.