Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Green Laning (motor bikes)
  • Amos
    Free Member

Is there any one on the forum into green laning? Further to my 125 thread I really fancy green laning, anyone else doing it that can give me some info. or point me in the right direction for some decent forums? And of course suggest the best 125 for the job? Any info. would be great and is as fun as it seems i.e. mountain biking without the strain of pedaling!?

hora
    Free Member

I reckon you should go on centre day out first to get a feel for it. Ideal way to get a taster without splashing out on a bike etc. There are a few than run a days hire/guiding/training in Wales.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Sorry Amos, I do not like the way motorbikes damage the green lanes and the experience I have on them. Keep motors on tarmac,

Chris

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

These guys are the ones to contact. Legal trail riding by guys like this causes few problems.
    http://www.trf.org.uk/

Its not high revving unsilenced 2 stoke wannabee motocrossers – they are illegal riders – its low revving silenced and road legal bikes doing motorised pony trekking.

hora
    Free Member
    nbt

What ChrisE said. I can see why it would be fun, but they cause far too much damage for my liking

adam_h
    Free Member

Sorry Amos, I do not like the way motorbikes damage the green lanes and the experience I have on them. Keep motors on tarmac,

That's like a rambler saying "I don't like the way mountain bikers tear around the bridleways, stick to the roads". There is enough room for everyone. As long it's done legally and safely of course.

Was going to link to TRF, but TJ beat me to it. Always check with the local rights of way officer as well before heading off down a BOAT etc. dotted across an OS map, just to check it is actually legal to ride on.

nbt

That's like a rambler saying "I don't like the way mountain bikers tear around the bridleways, stick to the roads".

Except that studies have shown that bikes and walkers have around the same impact level. Show me a motorbike that has that impact level…

nickc

Sorry, motorized off road has no place in most of the countryside. Ridgeway between M40 and Watlington (for instance) used to be a boggy swamp for most of the year, now that 4×4 nad bikes are banned, it's been restored.

br
    Free Member

You'll find that 'green-lanes' are becoming fewer…, and it'll be mtb-ers who suffer next from the red-socks.

U31
    Free Member

Punch them in the face.

dickydutch

Who has the right to say what kind of vehicular access should be be allowed where?
    Some muppets on mountain bikes, skidding down steep descents cause untold damage. If motorised vehicles are used properly and with a bit of common sense, (i.e. not using byways which are obviously over used/waterlogged etc) I don't see why all people can't get on together.
    To say motorised vehicles should not be allowed and mountain bikes should, is a biased view.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The problem is guys that teh law abiding reasonable folk get tarred with the same brush as the ones who tear up the lanes.

Motorbikes ridden in the way the TRF do cause little damage. Its the wannabe motocrossers and the numpties in 4wds for who the idea of good fun is getting stuck in bogs and winching out that cause the damage.

The TRF Code of Conduct

Use only vehicular rights of way.

Trail riding is only lawful on public roads. If in doubt, check with the Highway
    Authority or the TRF. Motorcycles and riders must be road-legal. Green lanes
    are subject to the same laws as surfaced roads.

Keep to the defined way across farmland.

Wheels can damage crops and grass. Wandering from the road onto farmland
    or moorland is trespassing.

Give way to walkers, horses and cyclists.

As a courtesy, On narrow lanes, stop and switch off engines.

Fasten gates to safeguard stock.

Except those tied open for farming purposes. An open gate invites animals to
    stray, endangering themselves, and crops or traffic.

Travel at a safe speed.

Ride at a reasonable speed, taking regard of conditions and visibility. This
    should not exceed the voluntary maximum of 25mph.

Ride quietly.

Machines must be effectively silenced. Use the throttle with discretion, as
    noise does offend. Green lanes are subject to the same laws as surfaced
    roads.

Honour the country code.

Respect the countryside and those who live, work and play in it. Green lanes
    can be valuable habitats, so take special care in spring and early summer.

Acknowledge the presence of other green lane users
    With a friendly wave or other suitable gesture

ldentify yourself.

Carry your membership card with you when trail riding, so that you may
    identify yourself as a current member of the TRF – and display a current
    membership sticker.

< Prev

IainGillam
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother with green laning personally, I'd get a propper enduro bike and have a go a few hare and hound races or some time card enduro's. Reason being that enduro courses are designed especially for the purpose and you can go as fast as you like, bit like the difference between driving on the road and a trackday. It's quite hard to practice enduro as there aren't many facilities about hence why suggesting racing. If you happen to be in the south then rogershill raceway does enduro evening sessions alongside their normal MX practice. Also racersedge a motocross coach in the south is setting up a suzuki tryout day, there are other such schemes as this for you to try enduro or mx to see if you like it another prominant one is wheeldontwo in Devon. There are similar venues and try out days (Yamaha used to run one in north Wales) all over the country but as I live down south these are the only ones I know off the top of my head. Finally have a look on mxtrax on the trail and enduro part of the forum for some more info. Might also be worth popping into smiths and getting a Trail Bike Monthly (TBM) magazine which is aimed at green laners and enduro riders.

Iain

grim168
    Free Member

Done a fair bit of green laning in the lakes and dales. Joined the trf and tried to do it responsably. More and more lanes were closed to us so drz is gathering dust in garage. Haven't been for quite a while now. As said above some ruin it for all. Some mates just carried on. If a tro notice was missing at the start of a lane I don't think its enforceable. I loved it but the shit we got off some ramblers was unbelievable. Something like 3% of the rights of way network was available to motorized traffic but to some thats too much. People are selfish and have no tolerance of others. Like waterskiing on windermere. Mountain bikers will be next. Ramblers are numerous and politically active and they only seem to notice people tearing around doing damage.

Amos
    Free Member

My long term aim I think is to get into enduro events, my uncle was quite handy and I was hoping I may have half his talent.
    I am quite shocked by some of the opinion from you guys that all motorbikes/motorbike riders just go out and nail it and damage the country side surely that's a the sort of prejustice we as mountain bikers have spent years fighting as a result of whinging red socks? I know they're are some c0cks out there that do ruin it for everyone but surely, as mentioned before, people shouldn't be tarred with the same brush?
    My intent was to just get from place to place off road instead of the scaring the wits out of my Mrs by riding on road! Then when confident start doing some events.

hora
    Free Member

There are two different types of green-laners.

There are two different types of mountain bikers.

One of those is anti-social, uses cheeky (yes motorbikers and mountain bikers ride cheeky)- its not the trail damage… The whole world is evolving through erosion and how did trails come about ffs.

How many green-laners do you come across bogged-down and spinning wide-open their throttle on bridleways churning up the earth? Is the boogieman out there? 😉

..its the risk of a walker being hit by someone riding a mountain bike inconsiderately that bothers me. Ironically I rode past the spot today off mytholroyd/Hebden station where a walker was killed by a mountain biker in a race.

Live and let live. I've come across polite and considerate mx'ers – I've experienced far more inconsiderate and rude mountain bikers in my time.

why not give MX'ing a try? You'll find the majority are careful riders because you really don't want to be opening up your throttle and braking an ankle or the bike landing on you. You never know you might like it.

Peace.

nbt

Ironically I rode past the spot today off mytholroyd/Hebden station where a walker was killed by a mountain biker in a race.

link? not heard about that.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Ignore the "holier than thou" attitude of a few on here. Most of the lanes that get ridden on are little or unused. The TRF do a great job of keeping rights of way open which otherwise would become overgrown and lost. Best way is get in touch with your local TRF group. Great bunch of blokes (and ladies) and will accommodate all levels of riders.

Amos
    Free Member

+1 hora

Live and let live

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[quoteSorry Amos, I do not like the way motorbikes damage the green lanes and the experience I have on them. Keep motors on tarmac,

Chris[/quote]

WTF, are you a headmaster wannabe?

Done responsibly green laning is great fun

cranberry
    Free Member

Sorry, motorized off road has no place in most of the countryside. Ridgeway between M40 and Watlington (for instance) used to be a boggy swamp for most of the year, now that 4×4 nad bikes are banned, it's been restored.

Restored for whom ? You or the people who are no longer permitted to enjoy the countryside ?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

God there's a load of miserable NIMBYs on here. 🙄

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

I live in Dorset and only a tiny percentage of the ROW round here are motorised. That's fine, it's the same as MTBing, no one wants to ride really boggy trails so you stay clear of the ones that aren't sustainable in the wet. Think of Thetford. Nearly all those mtb trails were originaly created by trail bikes. One of the best "cheeky" mtb trails near me is a trail bike hare and hounds course. It's about time that those people who use the country side for fun band together and stop the red sock brigade from banning us all.

nickc

Everybody who's not on motorbike, or in a landrover. Really they were more or less un-useable for every one else from about Nov to April. TBH it's not like it was that exciting, I mean it's more or less an off-road motorway.

TBH all this "it'll be MTB'rs next" is just so much scaremongering, even the BHS (Bristih horse Society) has realised that what's good for MTBr's is good for horse-riders.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

TBH all this "it'll be MTB'rs next" is just so much scaremongering

That's what trail riders said before the NERC bill…

nickc

Riiiight, I'll tell you what, you show me any evidence AT ALL that there's any thing written anywhere by anyone that suggests that one of the largest growing outdoor recreational sports is going to be effected IN ANY WAY by the fact that motorized off road activities are being restricted (mostly because, it has to be said, some MX'rs are tits)

OK?

cranberry
    Free Member

nickc- try not to think only of your own selfish position.

nickc

nickc- try not to think only of your own selfish position.

Right, 'cos that **** I saw the other morning making a giant rooster and dust cloud on a effing bridleway wasn't be at all selfish….

EDit: and his two mates….

I'm out on this, I'm not at all reasonable about it, and I don't want to get into a slanging match, sorry if I've offended.

cranberry
    Free Member

There is absolutely no excuse for deliberately wrecking a trail – regardless of how you access the countryside you should show it respect.

In the bikers credit though, he's probably not trying to get other people banned from everyone's trails.

singlecrack
    Free Member

you show me any evidence AT ALL that there's any thing written anywhere by anyone that suggests that one of the largest growing outdoor recreational sports is going to be effected

That comment pretty much sums it up……It will most probably be a victim of its own popularity.

I used to green lane in the early 90's and it was fine hardly anyone on bikes even ramblers used to stop for a chat ……then it became popular with all the speed camera's going up all the road bikers found offroad bikes more fun and it became popular, they were everywhere………..look what happened……!!!!!

Amos
    Free Member

What happened? What happened !!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nickc – you are confusing illegal riders who should feel the full force of the law and legal ones.

Like saying all MTBers ride footpaths and scare ramblers.

LEGAL green laners cause few issues.

I also know paths badly damaged by MTBers and have seen a couple riding like utter cocks. should all mtbs be banned?

hora
    Free Member

Anywaaay – try these (seems good value as well) 🙂

http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/

singlecrack
    Free Member

Amos. DEFRA and the nerc bill pushed by the might of the ramblers association

there happens to be quite a lot who are politicians

or am I just being cynical 😕

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yup, since the po po chased all the dirtbikes off from my area last year a good 50%+ of the trails have overgrown and gone :O(
    IMO they kept a LOT of the tracks and trails clear and usable for All.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ban the ramblers, I can't stand the sanctimonious noise they make whilst moping through the countryside!

Vader
    Free Member

Ive dabbled with off road motorbikes for years and have slowly been realising that for the price of a reasonable machine you can get 2 or 3 holidays abroad where there isnt the same pressure on trails as in the UK. There are plenty of places in spain for example that will kit you out with everything and away you go. A few years back I did a 6 week offroad fest in australia, every route is offroad! Although to be perfectly honest it was more about surviving the trip than the actual riding. I have never been so scared after I broke down in the desert, 200km from the nearest one horse town. On my own.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

ive done a solo motorbike ride in Oz too … scary but Very rewarding :O)

Vader
    Free Member

Lawmanmx that is so true. Where did you go? I started near Brisbane, worked my way up to Cape York, went out to Thursday Island then took a barge back from cape york to cairns, then went out to the gulf before working my way back to Brisbane. After cape york my nerves were seriously shaky, I figured the only way to deal with the fear was to get the trip over as quickly as possible. Which meant going faster and faster! 50mph off road was enough to scare the bejeezus out of of me, how these dakar boys sleep at night i will never know.

That was in 2003 and I still think about it every day

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

i started from brisbane rode north as far as Cairns staying in different towns on the way and riding the local areas then i went back to brizzy for a while then went south via coastal route briefly going inland to a farmstead about 20 clicks out from tamworth (had a few days out in the middle of Nowhere) then rode out to Coffs harbour down to sydney for a week or so then onwards to Melbourne.
    a few of the "smaller" towns i stayed in were quite strange to say the least Cann river being the most weird i would say.
    seen some sights on that trip i can tell yer, Lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Green Laning (motor bikes)’ is closed to new replies.