Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Greece – anyone been recently?
  • BillMC

I visited Portugal a few times in the 70s after the Salazar and Caetano regimes were overthrown. It made for an interesting ‘holiday’ going on demonstrations and visiting radio stations that the workers had seized. I’m wondering whether Greece will become an interesting place to visit with the potential changes brought about by the coalition government. Or is it just poor and grim?

growinglad
    Free Member

If you go to the Islands, or country side, you won’t see anything.

If there was trouble it was only in the very Centre of Athens (Or Perhaps Salonikia now and again).

And unless you are wearing something with Police on it you won’t have a problem even if it was kicking off…Although you have to watch the Rozzers, lot of dodgy knuckle scraper thugs in uniforms.

If the country went pop and defaulted I think things would be quite different.

Don’t be surprised to see the military step up.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i was on kefalonia last october and although there was A LOT of partially finished building work all over the island, and lots of political graffiti in Argostoli (the capital), it was basically peaceful and very friendly/upbeat.

crankboy
    Free Member

Greece always has a lot of partially finished building work you only pay tax on a completed building it is amazing how many perfectly habitable and indeed inhabited buildings appear to be unfinished.

stumpyjon

Hence the reason Greece is in it’s current mess. Not somewhere I’d consider in the short term for a holiday.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

i was on kefalonia last october and although there was A LOT of partially finished building work all over the island…

I used to live on Lefkas/Levkada and my sister worked on Corfu for two years; it used to be that you didn’t pay tax on half finished buildings so it was common to see an unfinished three-storey building with two very occupied floors.

I’d heard that this had changed due to the amount of buildings making beautiful parts of the country look ugly (and offended tourists), but maybe it hasn’t.

Edit: no idea how I missed this:

Greece always has a lot of partially finished building work you only pay tax on a completed building it is amazing how many perfectly habitable and indeed inhabited buildings appear to be unfinished.

bruneep

Oh! I’m off to here in july I think I’ll take my chances and slum it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

sleep on the beaches and go island hopping. Good times

stayhigh

I’m staying with my girlfriends family in Messinia and there is no trouble here at all, in fact far from being “poor & grim” its very beautiful here and everyone has a good standard of living.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Rhodes just it’s usual busy self. Very hard to get a booking in some hotels over summer. The riots and strikes only really seem to affect the mainland.
    They need tourism so go over there and spend some money and help them out.

BillMC

Yep if I do it’ll probably be via AirBnB so it goes into the local’s pocket and not Paris Hilton’s.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Greece – anyone been recently?’ is closed to new replies.