• This topic has 67 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Greatest ride in the TDF ever
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

This will be pretty contentious but I reckon that this ride by Floyd Landis , that set up his win and recovered nearly all the time he lost the day before when he seemed to bonk near to the finish is the best I’ve ever seen . I know that he subsequently got stripped of the win because of doping but he still had to produce the ride and I’m sure most of the other riders were ” dodgy too “[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7_p2leFz8[/video]

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry, but being doped means you really can’t include this.

ransos
    Free Member

I know that he subsequently got stripped of the win because of doping but he still had to produce the ride and I’m sure most of the other riders were ” dodgy too “

It looked good on the telly, but it wasn’t real.

leffeboy

roche, la plagne, ’87

retro83
    Free Member

lunge

Andy Schleck, Galibier, 2011. 3 monumental rides in 1, Schleck for the audacious attack, Cadel Evans for dragging the rest of the GC riders up after him, Voeckler for hanging on to yellow. You also had Contador and Sammy Sanchez cracking. One hell of a days riding.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iox8qiuY94E[/video]

Andy

roche, la plagne, ’87

ampthill

leffeboy +1

Really for any sporting moment ever

Its still has it critics and claims that he was pushed by the crowd. But watching in channel 4 the evening it happened was incredible

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQojh-wqL04&list=PL12WF_NvX2FfUiR1nt1Ck92UYFfryUd1M[/video]

To be honest you don’t see much. You have to know what was heappening. In summary Roche is behind on time but is expected to gain time in the last time trial

crazy-legs

damn, there goes “the look” from Lance…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMdJAdzpYQ[/video]

and Lance riding across the field
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr89ku-K2WU[/video]

However I’m going to go with this one. Cancellara, in yellow, punctured on a climb, got to the summit and then chased back on in a display of perfect descending – fast but relaxed, pushing the limit but in control. And all set to Mozart.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway, what about this?

LeMond didn’t have a prayer, but rode the second fastest ever time trial to win the closest ever TdF.

jobro
    Free Member

roche, la plagne, ’87

I don’t know why this always sticks in my head. I remember watching it on TV and jumping up and down when Roche appeared out of the mist unexpectedly and promptly collapsed on the ground.

I’m sure there may have been greater rides but I guess it depends on how you define “greatest” For me this is it.

I can only assume the OP is blatant trolling. Landis’s testosterone/epitestosterone ratio was 11:1 indicating massive and short term doping.Come on, even in a peleton with dubious doping history this was just plain madness.

aracer
    Free Member

dang – only opened the thread to troll with post the same ride the OP chose.

This thread is empty so far then 😈

theotherjonv

Might not be the greatest ride ever, but it was a hairs on the neck moment for me to watch this

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SzcoD4lDw[/video]

As a Brit; we were actually going to win it, we had the best sprinter, and on the last day we had panache as well.

And a meat raffle.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Dave Watson – 2003

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0FgQfZuhIw[/video]

cyclelife
    Free Member

Why is anyone interested in this sport, as no one knows who’s clean and who isn’t? It’s a complete joke, just enjoy it as a form of exercise or means of commuting.

leffeboy

I don’t know why this always sticks in my head. I remember watching it on TV and jumping up and down when Roche appeared out of the mist unexpectedly and promptly collapsed on the ground.

and that is why. If you just watch the summary it is exciting but difficult to ‘get’. If you had been watching thinking Roche might just hang in there and then, from no-where, he appears out of the mist the feeling was incredible. Don’t think I’ve screamed at the tv so much. A combination of lack of race radios, limited cameras, mist, and an astonishing ride. The Lemond/Fignon finish was close but Roche just appearing round the corner was incredible

slowoldman

I’m with lunge, several really impressive rides on one stage.

TiRed

Ever is always hopelessly subjective. But for recent tours, Cummings’ win on Stage 14 of the 2015 TDF; the first stage win for MTN-Qhubeka, is my favourite. Attacked to bridge to two established French GC contenders and robbed them on the finish line – you can just see their disapointment in the photo 🙂

And on Nelson Mandela’s birthday too!

jobro
    Free Member

Cummings’ win on Stage 14 of the 2015 TDF

That was a good one. That’ll teach the Frenchies 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

we were there for the infamous Landis win. We’d sacked spectating to go MTBing and were riding Pre la Joux (now part of Chatel bike park IIRC?). We headed back to Morzine and as we got to the top of SuperMorzine could see the helicopters in the distance. Cue mad dash down the (completely empty) road, getting into Morzine centre before the race. We even managed to get near the finish and Munqe Chick was invited to stand on the back of a parked press bike to watch it!

Andy Schleck, Galibier, 2011. Schleck for the audacious attack,

except it wasn’t. It was a typical Schleck Sisters move and they said as much in the post-race interview. He expected to get caught, and then Frank (riding the wheels of Evans, Contador etc) would launch a counter attack. Frank even said something like Andy staying away was “plan B”, with A being the counter attack move. If it’d been any other racer (or mAndy without Frank there) doing a genuine do-or-die move it would have been impressive and audacious, but it was just another example of the Schlecks relying on each other to the detriment of their own individual potential.

given the history and prevalence of doping in cycling we’re going to be choosing from a small shortlist. Or do you mean “proven to have doped” which is a little arbitrary.

slowster
    Free Member

Watching the stage at Le Plagne 87 on TV was an incredible sporting moment.

However, for me the sheer epic nature of Hinault’s and Lemond’s breakaway on the stage to L’Alpe d’Huez in 1986 is the best.

The difference between Lemond and Landis, is that Lemond was clean, and you knew then – and you still know now – that this was a truly magnificent ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do we know Lemond was clean?

I really want him to have been…

lunge

Just watched the Schleck stage again and it’s every bit as good as I remember, brilliant ride. But rarely have I ever seen anyone go as deep as Evans and Voekler did.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

cyclelife – Member
    Why is anyone interested in this sport, as no one knows who’s clean and who isn’t? It’s a complete joke, just enjoy it as a form of exercise or means of commuting.

Realistically it’s the same for any sport. I bet if footballers had the same level of scrutiny they’d probably have to stick to five-a-side there’d be that many bans being handed out.

daviek

As mentioned above Greg Lemond beating Laurent Fignon was one that sticks in my mind. Fignon congratulated Lemond on his second place before the final stage if I remember correctly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tommy V turned himself inside out for days to keep the yellow jumper. Such pride, such dedication.

slowster
    Free Member

Do we know Lemond was clean?

I really want him to have been…

cynic-al, I don’t think there is any evidence that Lemond took PEDs. Reportedly Armstrong offered $300,000 to anyone who would testify that Lemond had taken PEDs, as part of his attempts to destroy Lemond, and got no takers. Given how outspoken Lemond was against doping, not least by Armstrong, but also during his riding career (he said when he left the PDM team that their attitude to using drugs was that they treated them like lubricating a chain), I think it would have inevitably have been revealed if he had doped. His obstinacy in speaking out about Armstrong, Ferrari and doping won him few friends and probably cost him a great deal of money, e.g. Trek dropping his bike brand.

Lemond was fortunate that he raced in the 1980s, when the PEDs available were not the sort of gamechanger that EPO is. Lemond quit in the early 1990s when EPO use started to become widespread and he realised that he would no longer be competitive unless he were to use it as well. I suspect if Lemond had started his professional career in the 1990s, he would have been another Christophe Bassons.

epicyclo

Lance Arsestrong grass tracking when he went off the road.

He may be a doper, but that was pure skill and bike handling of a high order, and I doubt his special vitamins gave him any advantage there.

padkinson
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNLMYpr2TM[/video]

Cancellara – stage 3 2007.

Just riding off the front and keeping the gap with everyone sprinting behind. The amount of power he must have been producing is just phenomenal.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the OP has nailed it; that’s a belter.

Thor Hushovd 2011 Stage 13(?) was another goodun from a good tour.
    Tyler Hamilton 2003 Stage 16 was an unbelievable solo effort.
    Alberto Contador 2009 Stage 15 where he dropped everyone.
    Armstrong an Pantani probably have loads of good stage wins to their names.

No doubt loads from before I was in to cycling. I remember watching an old one of Indurain pushing big Watts and riding all the climbers off his wheel up La Plagne

Sandwich

Another vote for the Spartacus descent.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I’ve got to go with the Vockler days too. After last year he’s classed as an honourary Yorkshireman as well.

C

Speshpaul

“TiRed – Member 
    Ever is always hopelessly subjective. But for recent tours, Cummings’ win on Stage 14 of the 2015 TDF; the first stage win for MTN-Qhubeka, is my favourite. Attacked to bridge to two established French GC contenders and robbed them on the finish line – you can just see their disapointment in the photo “

1st one I thought of.
    This kids is how you take a corner:-)

Junkyard
    Free Member

this was what I thought of first before reading this thread

Some other very very good shouts tough

Sad to say but some of the cheaters were the best

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

When Lemond bear Fignon in the final stage time trial he had the advantage that he was using aero bars and Fignon wasn’t . We all know that that was a huge advantage without which Fignon would have won .so IMO great ride , great nail biting finish but not the Greatest ride ever .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Re Tommy V, I gather the peloton didn’t like him much. That makes me like him more.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

A couple of personal favourites, Tyler Hamilton Pau to Bayonne in 2003 & Marco Pantani on Alpe D’uez in 1997.

Dopers I know, but aren’t they all.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

One that sticks in my mind is Pedro Delgado in ’88. I can still remember Phill Liggett’s commentary ‘Pedro Deldado has sprouted wings’ as Delgado took the field apart up some climb or other.

Hinault / LeMond ’85
    Fignon / LeMond ’89

Fewer than 4 clean riders in those names above though. I really pay no attention to the TdF anymore

slowster
    Free Member

When Lemond bear Fignon in the final stage time trial he had the advantage that he was using aero bars and Fignon wasn’t . We all know that that was a huge advantage without which Fignon would have won .so IMO great ride , great nail biting finish but not the Greatest ride ever .

So it doesn’t count because of the advantage provided by aero bars, and you are instead proposing Landis, ignoring the advantage provided by doping? Okaaaaaaaay.

Actually, I agree that such a short distance time trial should not be considered the greatest ride in the Tour, but arguably Lemond’s performance and victory in the whole 1989 Tour was one of the greatest TdFs, if you do not restrict yourself to considering just individual stages. Lemond had been written off after being shot in a hunting accident, and had struggled to recover his form and get a contract with a good team. His ADR team was weak and he had no domestiques to support him in the mountain stages, so it was an incredible victory under the circumstances, with, as you say, a great nail biting last stage.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I would have picked Schleck on the Galibier, but since it’s already taken, i’ll go for something a bit unusual.

Vincenzo Nibali – 2014 Stage 5
    More or less won the TDF without a mountain or TT bike in sight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Greatest ride in the TDF ever’ is closed to new replies.